//
Black and White Queen - Part One: Thief's Game - Chapter Three

Posted March 15th, 2011 by Lenni

Lenni's picture
by Lenni
in my evil laboratory, complete with cloud wallpaper >:)

And so I have reached chapter three! Happy dance! 

It's a little short... sorry. 

3

It's pretty amazing how much people can accomplish in three days. Since storming in on Aber and Lucas and the rest of the Council, I'd been crowned queen of an empire, with all the pomp and ceremony that went with it.

Though I'd have preferred it if the extensive celebrations had been ignored, but you can't have everything.

I was in the hall when I heard a commotion outside the huge doors. I sat in the chair that wasn't impressive enough to be a throne, but was still huge and intricately carved, and arranged the folds of my black dress. I leaned my head on my fist as the doors swung open.

"Queen, I'm sorry, he just..." 

"It's fine." I waved away the servant's explanation. "Is he alone?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"Please leave us now." 

She curtsied and left the room, closing the doors behind her. I tilted my head to the side and got a good look at the man who'd stormed in.

The recognition I felt when I saw his face hit me like a blow. It was him, the knight who'd tried to kill me in an alley five months ago. I hadn't even known his name until three days ago, and I compared the name and the cunning face. Sannar. 

He began to speak before I could.

"I would apologize for storming in on you, but I'm just happy to see some expression other than sadistic hate on your face."

"And what expression is that?" I said it casually, not letting my surprise at seeing him here show.

He grinned, the lazy cruelty of a liar showing through in the smile, and the memory of his knife to my throat and the cuts in my arms flashed through my mind. "Surprise." He said.

I made a steeple out of my fingers, hiding my face. "You must not be as good at reading people as you think you are."

Sannar walked towards me, until he was only a few steps away. "One of the benefits of being a liar," he said. "Is that you can always tell when people are being untruthful."

I spread my hands out. "Your arrival was unexpected."

"How so?" He put his hands in his pockets, the picture of nonchalance. I leaned back in the chair. 

"Usually no one is stupid enough to confront someone who hates them and has the power to make their lives miserable."

His eyes darkened. "It's so secret that you hate me. And I hate you, so let's just forget about that for a moment. What are you planning on doing with the black players?"

I raised my eyebrows. "I was planning on leaving them be until I needed to remove some white players, but..." I trailed off, smirking slightly. "You're a knight, are you not?"

"As if you could forget." 

"Unfortunately, I won't." I didn't add anything, but my tone said enough. I tried to keep my voice neutral. "I think, now that you bring it up, that I have reason to hate most of the black players. There was a rook who murdered my sister," I watch Sannar's eyes widen by a fraction. "That I particularly loathe." 

He moved forward so he was only a foot away. "And what will you do to her?"

I shrugged. "Nothing permanent."

He jerked forward suddenly, seizing me by the neck and yanking me forward. I gave a tiny gasp before I could stop myself. "And nothing terrible." He was annoyingly close, his eyes barely two inches from mine. "Or-"

"What?" I refused to pull his hands away from my throat, even when my words came out strangled. "Treason?"

He let go of my neck but stayed close. "I suppose."

"Get out." It was distracting being so close to him, especially when the memories of the last time he'd threatened me like this were clamouring for attention in the back of my mind.

Sannar smirked, his eyes darkening with spite. "I finally got the better of you."

I leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. For once, he was speechless, staring at me with a mixture if shock and revulsion.

"Not quite." I smirked. "Out."

He stood up straight and stalked from the room, pausing ever so slightly to flash me a murderous look. He slammed the door.

I sagged back in the chair and put both hands to my throat. It hurt more than I'd expected, the throbbing pain making my head fuzzy. I gave in to the memories flashing across my eyes for a full five seconds. I opened my eyes from the dark alley scene playing like a puppet show in my head and took a steady breath. I stood. 

"I think I need to stop underestimating him." I said softly to myself. I clutched at my elbows. I could feel the ropey scars running along my forearms through the fabric of my dress, and I rubbed them absently as I thought. I walked briskly to the doors and opened them. A servant I was pretty sure was named Alica was staring after Sannar, and I knocked lightly on the wall to get her attention.

"Do you know where Aber or Lucas is?" I asked her. "I need to deal with the black players."

So Sannar and Kessiah meet once again... *thinks* I wonder if hatred counts as chemistry between two characters. 

See more stories by Lenni
Yay! I love this!! 

Yay! I love this!! 

Posted by Carly on Tue, 03/15/2011 - 20:36
I love love love the

I love love love the queen--momentarily forgot her name, sorry--but she is amazing, as a character. I have no idea how to read her. Actually, all the characters are like that, but her especially. I can't tell who's good and who's bad! (NO don't tell me, I want to find out for myself. Just keep posting!)

"Like a top, like a plaything, the earth spins around"--Me, from Twisting the World

Posted by Clarissa on Wed, 03/16/2011 - 14:17
Heehee, thank you. I'm

Heehee, thank you. I'm trying to make the characters as unpredictable as possible, so I guess I'm doing good! 

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December/And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor. - The Raven, Edgar Allen Poe

Posted by Quill (Lenni) on Wed, 03/16/2011 - 17:02
If that's what you're going

If that's what you're going for...then you're doing AWESOME!

Posted by Clarissa on Thu, 03/17/2011 - 16:56
MUST READ

MUST READ MOOREEEEE!

- Kay - Just because I am different, doesn't mean I'm weak. ~~Me~~

Posted by Kay on Fri, 04/29/2011 - 03:08