//
Silent Song Ch.9 (#&!)

Silent Song Ch.9 (#&!)

Posted February 14th, 2012 by Evedaw13

Evedaw13's picture
by Rainy Daze
in one of the territories of the, what, 25 Warrior clans I've invented, attempting to find out which one I feel like writing about

I slide down in my rolling chair slowly, letting the computer mouse slip from my hand. Then my computer dings! to let me know that I have an email.I open Google Chrome and go to Gmail, logging into my account.

The email - it's from Brandon.

I sit up immediately and stare at the screen. Curious, I click the email and start to read.

Hey, Wren. It's Brandon, though I guess you knew that already. Look, I'm really sorry about what happened in class... not just to Megan, but to you. I shouldn't have ripped up your note... or hit Megan with the ball (though her face was pretty funny when I did that). Things around my house have been hectic lately... also, I was pissed because you didn't let me see the picture you drew in art. I'm not upset about that anymore, so don't worry. Though if you decide to show me, I wouldn't complain.

So basically I was just writing to apologize... I also emailed Megan with an apology, but what I put later in this letter, I didn't tell her. Thought you'd want to know that part before I told you.

The main reason that I was so nasty was because my dad was just diagnosed with lung cancer. The doctors were completely shocked that the tumor had gotten to be as big as it was, but my dad hadn't been to the doctor in a long time. They wanted to try chemotherapy, but he said no. Said he wasn't going to go through more pain before he died. He wants to spend time with me in the six months before he dies instead of going to the doctor every day.

So I was really upset. My mom gets mad when she's upset, and I inherited that from her. I'm sorry if this email is depressing or anything, Wren, but I just need to vent, so if you don't want to read the rest, that's fine. You can skip to the last paragraph.

Basically, I'm pissed with Megan. She's being a jerk, and I really wish she would just leave me alone for one or two classes. She's so... clingy, you know? And needy, like if I were sick one day and couldn't come to school, she'd just collapse. If she was more like you - smart, willing to work - I could be a better friend to her, but she's not that way. She's a bitch sometimes.

My mom is crying all the time now. Surprisingly, she's not yelling at anyone - that's her normal coping method. Instead she just sits in her room with lots of tissues and cries. My older brother, Mike, spends all his time out with friends, but I can tell he's upset, too. My dad has tried to get me and Mike to do more with him, like play baseball, but he can't really do anything active for long.

And me... I can't really cope with this at all. It seems like such a huge thing - well, it is, of course - to happen in middle school. I've known my dad for almost fifteen years - my entire life. But he's still dying, and I can't do a thing about it. You know how in eighth grade, most teens start avoiding their parents? Well, that's what I instictively want to do, but then I think "Brandon, wait, your dad is going to die! You need to go spend time with him! Go!" So it's really tough.

Well, Wren, I don't know if you read any of that, but at least I have it out of my head now. Again, I'm really sorry about what I did in school and I guess I'll see you in school tomorrow.

-Brandon

I reread the email a few times, trying to wrap my head around everything Brandon had said. It sounds a bit like what happened to me. I remember - sort of - my mom, with brain cancer, desperately trying to spen time with my dad and I before she died. I was younger then, only 7, but I remember crying a lot. My mom cried, too - sometimes she would come into my room to talk to me, forget why she was there, and sit down and just hug me while we both sobbed.

I shuddered and pushed away my memories. This is now, I tell myself. You don't need to think about what happened in the past. You don't need to think about any of it at all.

To take my mind off of my past, I go to YouTube and watch ThePianoGuys again, my favorite channel. Should I reply to Brandon? Does he really just want to vent, or does he want me to comfort him? For once, I can't concentrate on the video. With a sigh, I go back to Gmail and begin to reply.

Hi, Brandon, it's Wren. I know you were just venting, but I did read those paragraphs. If you want, I could possibly meet you in the park and you could actually talk about it. I may not be able to talk, but I can listen, and I think just blurting out everything would be useful. So please reply to me, whether you want me to meet you or not, and let me know.

-Wren

See more stories by Rainy Daze