//
K.R. Reviewer #13: I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore/James Frey & Jobie Hughes

Posted February 15th, 2011 by K.R.Galvin

A Book Review by Kyle
in Republic City

Pittacus Lore/James Frey & Jobie Hughes
4

Hi everybody! Today, I’m going to be doing a book review on I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore! Actually, Pittacus Lore is the pen name of two different authors: James Frey and Jobie Hughes. The name Pittacus Lore actually incorporates into the story, which I found pretty cool. Also, they put themselves into it, just with the names like this: James Hughes and Jobie Frey! :D Okay, today, since I finished my homework early, can do a review where I get into much more detail than my last review on Evermore! First, I’ll do a product description thing, then a summary, then the negatives, then the positives, movie updates on it, and information on the sequel!

This book was published on August 3rd, 2010, it has 440 pages, it was published by HarperCollins, it is a young adult science-fiction/action novel, it is the first novel in the Lorien Legacies Saga (it’ll be a total of six books), and it is written by James Frey and Jobie Hughes.

Now, the front-flap summary description of the book:

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books – but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and starting hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in the shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.

Number Two in London.

And Number Three in Kenya.

They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

Okay, now onto the (minimal number of) negatives.

1. Unrealistic dialogue. Some people in this book were too friendly. Like John (Number Four – he needed an alias since he was moving to another town because Number Three had just been killed) and Sarah always were like, “How are you?” to people, and it was just totally unrealistic at times – and quite annoying.

Okay, now that the negatives are over, we can move onto my list of positives! :D

1. The end. The end was very emotional and pretty realistic for the most part, although some parts were cheesy between John and Sarah. Also (thank God!) this book had some major characters’ death! I HATE a book whenever ALL of the main characters live a happily ever after! A major (if not, supporting) character got the kill, and I LOVED IT! :D Also, the end (as in, the final 100 pages) was very action-packed!

1. Action. Yes, the action in this book was very well done, and there was plenty of it in my opinion! There were small skirmishes too between John and a guy named Mark James (Mark – an okay guy overall). Also, in the first four pages (the prologue) TWO PEOPLE DIED! :D The prologue (and no, this isn’t a spoiler since the flap reveals this) is about the death of Number Three and HOW he died.

1. The concept. Now, I normally don’t read books about aliens because – there just not my thing, but I loved the concept of this, and how unless they come together, they can’t be killed except in number order! Also, just the whole Mogadorians invading the planet Lorien, and everything that had to do with the concept! A fantastic idea!

1. Back story/flashbacks. There was a lot of this going on throughout the book, and although it was pretty much the same thing every time, it was pretty cool how it showed it, just from some different angles, but the majority of the flashbacks had the same central theme: the day of the invasion that forced the nine aliens and their protectors to come to Earth.

1. The characters (overall.) I liked the characters, for the most part. My favorites had to be Number Six (yes, she does show up in this book – you would know if you saw the movie trailer), Sam Goode, and Bernie Kosar (he’s a lot more than just a regular dog!) I didn’t enjoy Sarah too much, or John.

1. Pacing. I thought the pacing was very good. It never got too slow, and it never got too fast-paced, but was a nice, fast paced book (just not too fast.) There was plenty of action in the right places to keep the reader hooked on what would happen next, and where the story would end up going.

Okay, well that is my thoughts on I Am Number Four Pittacus Lore/James Frey & Jobie Hughes! Overall, I give this book a 4.5/5 stars!

Movie Information:

Okay, the movie, the film adaptation of this book, is set to be released THIS FRIDAY! I cannot wait, but there is already a problem with this book: Number Six isn’t blond, but she has dark hair. Just something to point out, but I do hope it ends up okay overall. Here is a link to the two trailers of the movie:

Trailer #1 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5djHG3hPu0

Trailer #2 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6zhpST3Ro

Sequel Information:

Okay, there WILL be five sequels to this book. The next sequel will be called The Power of Six and it will be released this August! I’m pretty excited for it, especially because it will be focused on Number Seven this time! So, that’s a highly anticipated book on MY list!

Well, have a great day of reading and writing everyone! :D

~ Kyle

See more stories by Kyle
It sounds awesome! :D I

It sounds awesome! :D I think I might get it as an eBook and read it…

The real way to prank call Batman! :D

Team Perry!

Posted by L. S. Tredom on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 21:09
OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!

OMG!!!! OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted to read this since I saw it in a book shop like a YEAR ago!!!! THE MOVIE LOOKS AWESOME TOO!!! Great review!!!!

Chandler: Stay... stay. Good fake dog! -Friends

Phoebe: My mom used to stick her head in the oven. Actually she only did it the once, but it was pretty weird. -Friends

Posted by Jack D on Wed, 02/16/2011 - 09:46