Quantcast Who would you want to win (or keep) the presidency? - Page 4 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > US Elections
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who would you want to win?
Barack Obama 15 57.69%
Michelle Bachman 2 7.69%
Tim Pawlenty 2 7.69%
Mitch Romney 6 23.08%
Sarah Palin 4 15.38%
Other 6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
shadowtide shadowtide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rohan
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruza View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that democrats are genocidal. There's a clear difference between simply joking or showing distaste, and then going overboard.
'Genocidal' generally includes denying the humanity of a certain group of people, and claiming that it's okay to kill them for some perceived 'greater good'.
Not all Democrats are pro-choice, but most, especially those that would be nominated anyway, are.
So I think you know what I mean. :P
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Ruza Ruza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there
Posts: 2,663
Default

Hitler was genocidal.
Gadhafi was genocidal.

Democrats? No. You took that to the extreme, shadowtide.

I'm starting to like humans less and less every day.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~Robert Frost
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
sigfig sigfig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowtide View Post
'Genocidal' generally includes denying the humanity of a certain group of people, and claiming that it's okay to kill them for some perceived 'greater good'.
Not all Democrats are pro-choice, but most, especially those that would be nominated anyway, are.
So I think you know what I mean. :P
Genocidal, as defined by Merriam Webster is "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group." ALLOWING Abortion is not "deliberate and systematic destruction" nor are fetuses a "racial, political, or cultural group."

What's your excuse now? Is Merriam Webster a democrat-run dictionary?

Anyways, your argument was invalid even if abortion legislation could be considered genocidal, because Democrats =/= Pro-Choice. Even if vast MAJORITY of the Dems at this time are Pro-Choice, one cannot equate two schools of thought based on vague overlaps of the population. The state of being a Democrat does not require opinions on abortion.

FURTHERMORE, Democrats are generally liberal while Republicans are generally conservative (this generalization is accurate because both describe political viewpoints) and conservatism means small government, less action, more rights to people. Which is exactly what pro-choice is... It's not endorsing abortion, it's just saying that "If you want to do it, do it, it's not our business." Which is a Liberal/Progressive standpoint. Rather at odds with Republican views on other subjects.

It seems that Reps only want small government when it doesn't conflict with their own personal moral opinions.
__________________
Coffins: http://www.kidpub.com/story/coffins-318126128
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 PM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In a world of music turned up loud enough I can't hear anyone else.
Posts: 15,002
Default

Yay, you're back!

Anyway, if you're going to give vocabulary lessons to DA, I think you could first try to understand her point. xD
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Ruza Ruza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there
Posts: 2,663
Default

I understand what she is attempting to say, but it is incredibly foolish.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~Robert Frost
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
shadowtide shadowtide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rohan
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfig View Post
Genocidal, as defined by Merriam Webster is "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group." ALLOWING Abortion is not "deliberate and systematic destruction" nor are fetuses a "racial, political, or cultural group."

What's your excuse now? Is Merriam Webster a democrat-run dictionary?

Anyways, your argument was invalid even if abortion legislation could be considered genocidal, because Democrats =/= Pro-Choice. Even if vast MAJORITY of the Dems at this time are Pro-Choice, one cannot equate two schools of thought based on vague overlaps of the population. The state of being a Democrat does not require opinions on abortion.

FURTHERMORE, Democrats are generally liberal while Republicans are generally conservative (this generalization is accurate because both describe political viewpoints) and conservatism means small government, less action, more rights to people. Which is exactly what pro-choice is... It's not endorsing abortion, it's just saying that "If you want to do it, do it, it's not our business." Which is a Liberal/Progressive standpoint. Rather at odds with Republican views on other subjects.

It seems that Reps only want small government when it doesn't conflict with their own personal moral opinions.
*shrugs* I am not a Republican. Nor a Democrat. In my opinion, it's about the individual person, not the political party he belongs to.
I believe this discussion started with Ruza's generalization about 'most Republicans', and I replied with one about most Democrats.

However, it is a fact: At this moment in history, most Democrats are pro-choice. Every Democrat with a chance of becoming powerful (specifically, president for instance) is, at the current time, pro-choice. Most of those who are not have been ostracized by the rest of their party. There is not a single Democrat in the Senate who is pro-life without exception (though some are mostly).

Different dictionaries will always say slightly different things.
A more accurate definition:
"The systematic killing of substantial numbers of people on the basis of ethnicity, religion, political opinion, social status, or other particularity."
While it is true that most targeted groups in the past have been racial, political, or cultural, this is not a necessity.
The group those who have not been born counts just as much.
Abortion is 'systematic', and substantial numbers of children have definitely been killed. 48 million since Roe vs. Wade-- in the United States alone. Worldwide, it kills more people in two months than the Holocaust did in 12 years.

I know you dislike links to Fundamentalist Christian sites (can't exactly blame you for that) but sometimes they're amazingly right. Don't tell me you can look at this and remain entirely unaffected: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils...r/genocide.htm

Honestly though, the specific definition of a particular word isn't that important. I was attempting to make a point. All politians are somewhat corrupt. That's all.

If you need an obvious, by any possible definition, example of 'genocidal'.
Margaret Sanger.

If anyone on here defends that woman in the slightest, I'm sending for my dalek fleet.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM
chelseki3 chelseki3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: O_e
Posts: 3,451
Send a message via Skype™ to chelseki3
Default

Barack Obama...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
AlgebraAddict AlgebraAddict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In a world of music turned up loud enough I can't hear anyone else.
Posts: 15,002
Default

I have come to the point when I'm not being stupid anymore and getting involved. I have come to the point where I can really, really enjoy Sagar and DA's volcabulary wars.

But yes, I side with you, Shadowtide.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Ruza Ruza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: In my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there
Posts: 2,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowtide View Post
*shrugs* I am not a Republican. Nor a Democrat. In my opinion, it's about the individual person, not the political party he belongs to.
I believe this discussion started with Ruza's generalization about 'most Republicans', and I replied with one about most Democrats.

However, it is a fact: At this moment in history, most Democrats are pro-choice. Every Democrat with a chance of becoming powerful (specifically, president for instance) is, at the current time, pro-choice. Most of those who are not have been ostracized by the rest of their party. There is not a single Democrat in the Senate who is pro-life without exception (though some are mostly).

Different dictionaries will always say slightly different things.
A more accurate definition:
"The systematic killing of substantial numbers of people on the basis of ethnicity, religion, political opinion, social status, or other particularity."
While it is true that most targeted groups in the past have been racial, political, or cultural, this is not a necessity.
The group those who have not been born counts just as much.
Abortion is 'systematic', and substantial numbers of children have definitely been killed. 48 million since Roe vs. Wade-- in the United States alone. Worldwide, it kills more people in two months than the Holocaust did in 12 years.

I know you dislike links to Fundamentalist Christian sites (can't exactly blame you for that) but sometimes they're amazingly right. Don't tell me you can look at this and remain entirely unaffected: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils...r/genocide.htm

Honestly though, the specific definition of a particular word isn't that important. I was attempting to make a point. All politians are somewhat corrupt. That's all.

If you need an obvious, by any possible definition, example of 'genocidal'.
Margaret Sanger.

If anyone on here defends that woman in the slightest, I'm sending for my dalek fleet.
Are you perhaps implementing that abortion is more serious than the Holocaust was? Because if you are, not only have you lost the respect of many people, but I personally think you are an idiot.

Good day.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~Robert Frost
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 AM
shadowtide shadowtide is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rohan
Posts: 4,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruza View Post
Are you perhaps implementing that abortion is more serious than the Holocaust was? Because if you are, not only have you lost the respect of many people, but I personally think you are an idiot.

Good day.
The word is 'implying', not 'implementing'.

And no, I am not. I'm saying that it is equally as horrible, because the lives murdered by abortion are of equal preciousness, beauty, and worth to those in the Holocaust; exactly equal, no more and no less.
However, if looking at the number of lives killed, one could say abortion is more serious. Also based on the fact that so many people actually accept it as 'okay'.
Personally, I prefer not to make judgement on which of these two evil tragedies is worse.

I don't actually care if you think I'm an idiot, or if I've just lost the respect of this mysterious enigma known as 'many people'.
Entirely your problem, not mine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
my panties are pink

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.