Quantcast Help! - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default Help!

This forum is to talk about the features and design of the KidPub site. We're constantly thinking of ways to make KidPub even better. Since YOU are the folks who actually use KidPub, who better than you to talk about what you'd like to see?

It isn't possible to do everything that is suggested, but this will be the place the KidPub staff uses to introduce new ideas to talk about, and for you to suggest things.

Perry
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Other sites

By the way, if you happen to see another web site that does something particularly well, post a link here for us to look at.

Perry
Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM

I think it would be nice to have private messaging, not like emails, because they're personal but just talk to somebody through KidPub, if you know what I mean.
Here's a website that does it (you might need to register to see): tikatok.com
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM

subscribing to stories (like subscribing to vids on http://uk.youtube.com/)... would be cool.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM

after people started talking about young author (in that other post that I started) some people said that blogs might be cool... if you check the other post (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthr...=2951#post2951) you will be able to see what they said....
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM

a live feed would also be cool. if u could set up a kidpub rss feed...
Old 02-03-2009, 04:54 AM

or would it be to hard to do an rss feed?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator

We've added an RSS feed for New Stories on the new site, thanks for the suggestion!

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb503 View Post
or would it be to hard to do an rss feed?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Awesome!! thanks!! another thing... the other site is just a test... but if it's the new site and you just copy it over won't we loose all the stories we did since the test was set up? and if I subscribe to the rss feed over there... then do I need to subscribe to the kidpub one when the new design gets swapped over... or should I just wait?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Wait on the RSS feed until the new site is live. It has the 'dev.kidpub.com' address in the feed.

What we do is shut down the databases, copy the user and story tables over to the new database, do some testing, then fire everything back up.

We normally have three sites up at any given time. The 'dev' site is for new work. There's also a 'stage' site that duplicates the 'production' site, the one that everyone uses. When we have something in dev that we want to let everyone see, it first goes into the stage site for testing, then gets moved to production.

Since this is a completely new design, it is going from dev directly to production. Then we'll copy production to stage, and start playing in dev again.

Fun, eh?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb503 View Post
Awesome!! thanks!! another thing... the other site is just a test... but if it's the new site and you just copy it over won't we loose all the stories we did since the test was set up? and if I subscribe to the rss feed over there... then do I need to subscribe to the kidpub one when the new design gets swapped over... or should I just wait?

Tags
bananas, epic tag, flaming mangoes