Quantcast Why has Kidpub changed? What is the problem? What are its roots? - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > KidPub Stuff > KidPub News
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Location: Told a story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post
That's a little drastic. You know how many people join in a week?
Sorry I have had a bad bay. I lost at least two of my BFFs
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid. - CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lily09

Good point, Maggie. It's always a awkward when you step into a stranger's house. BUT, it could be the newbies who REFUSE to listen.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Question How about a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Ecrivian View Post
It's not like it was because most of the people who made up what KP was before are no longer on often enough to dictate the essence of this site. It is how it is now because of how those who are on here often enough to influence it signifigantly act.
So the key is for a handful of people to act better, i.e.. always comment, read more, and not post one liners?

News Flash!
The Hobbit has started filming! And the pterodactyls are attacking!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMoonWakedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpulp View Post
So the key is for a handful of people to act better, i.e.. always comment, read more, and not post one liners?
Yes, and those people mostly consist of the newbies, because, like others have said previously, they don't know the...what was the word?...'essence' of the sight. Luckily, there are some who realize spamming/clogging/being overly dramatic and starting fights is not okay. But Maggie, the truth is, most people who don't are the newbies. And some of the newbies have a high sense of self-worth, a little too high for what's good for them, and believe they have the right not to listen to the oldies/medium-ies who know this sight like it should be and want it to stay that way. Some change is good, but not the changes those certain newbies are trying to make. Like Gabi said, some of the newbies are like invaders rather than visitors who want to make the KP island, so to speak, their homes - the invader newbies want to take it for themselves, even though they are hopelessly outnumbered. They just continue to fight, and it's getting annoying.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Agreed. The problem, or fact about you metaphor, is that if they are outnumbered, then they would lose. If they lose, they leave, or are taken as slaves. Would they leave? Or would we just watch leave angry comments on people's stories, and then quickly advertise THEIR story?

News Flash!
The Hobbit has started filming! And the pterodactyls are attacking!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to TheMoonWakedWolf

Quote:
Agreed. The problem, or fact about you metaphor, is that if they are outnumbered, then they would lose. If they lose, they leave, or are taken as slaves. Would they leave? Or would we just watch leave angry comments on people's stories, and then quickly advertise THEIR story?
Good point about the metaphor. Let me rephrase it - the newbies are the ones who want to come and live here, but some act as if they're invaders. Make more sense? Meh. But, sadly, I'm afraid this is a fight we cannot win or lose. (Unless our mighty, semi-hidden King Perry comes out and casts the 'perpetrators' away with his magical powers of banishment from the site).

But is this really considered a battle? I'm sure it is to some. Then, we'd have to take sides, and things would grow chaotic... Who would win, really? Both sides would suffer loses, and, frankly, our little island of KidPub would be destroyed. It's nasty business, but I think it's more considered an argument, thank God. And, fortunate for the ones who want to keep KidPub the way it should be, the newbies are losing.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 PM

Location: In a world of music turned up loud enough I can't hear anyone else.

Most of KidPub is divided by age. You know, all the little circles. Although, I am grateful that I have moved up a circle during my time here... Maybe to stop writing crap helped. *sigh*
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM

OMPJ, just to say, some newbies don't use WB. I've been a member for almost a year and I hadn't been using WB until, like, 3 months ago. ^_^' So, putting stuff on WB for them doesn't always help. Just saying, it's a random thought, ain't it? ^_^'
C'mon, Ferb!
We all ought to invite our friends to enjoy the beauty we dizcover in Life... Oops, I spelled discover with a Z ^_^'
GENERATION 8~ When you first see this, add one to the Generation and paste it on your sig as a sign of epicness. Social experiment!~
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't make KP or WB like they were, since these select few would be surrounded by the rest of the KP population, but it would make a bubble that would be like it was. Several bubbles would be ideal; I think old KP was more self correcting because there weren't a heckuva lotta active members, so most users were familiar enough with each other to know how to avoid pushing peoples' buttons while still giving them CC and such. There are too many active KPers now for it to be like that, but if there were groups it might be feasable within the groups, though that would probably be a bit complicated to coordinate.

In response to 'don't blame newbies' posts, I don't blame the newbies as individuals, in my mind it's really the population increase, which is a joint result of newbies coming and old members staying. I don't want newbies to stop joining, nor do I want old members to leave. When you have this many people on a site, people don't have as many inhibitions because more often than not they won't be called on anything since there's just too much to call for someone to feel justified picking one spam post or one innappropriate comment out of the huge pile of them that's already accumulated.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lvhamsters

Yeah, it would be so much easier if there were less people. >_<

When we were young we used to say

That you only hear the music when your hearts begin to break

Now we are the kids from yesterday

Tags
clogging, jammit!, one-liners