Quantcast Author Pep-Talks - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > KidPubNaNoWriMo
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Danish621 Danish621 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,500
Send a message via AIM to Danish621 Send a message via Yahoo to Danish621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
What's it called? I'll try to find it.
Back to the purpose of this thread: S.E. Hinton. Love The Outsiders.
Swordbird. S.E. Hinton: sehinton@sehinton.com
__________________
"Those who break the rules are scum, that's true, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum." -Kakashi Hatake, Naruto

Have a grape day.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Rachel Rachel is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Strawberry fields. Where nothing is real.
Posts: 4,018
Default

Have you read The Outsiders? I used to be obsessed with it, 's my favorite book.
__________________
Live and let die.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Danish621 Danish621 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I've heard of it. I've been so obsessed with Harry Potter...well, I'll check it out. I read an excerpt on her website. It's super good, and I only read a paragraph...love that bit of dialogue:

Quote:
A blade was held against my throat.
"How'd you like that haircut to begin just below the chin?"
__________________

Have a grape day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Rachel Rachel is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,018
Default

The book is awesome!! READ IT!!!
__________________
Live and let die.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Danish621 Danish621 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
The book is awesome!! READ IT!!!
Yay! I will!
__________________

Have a grape day.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Kiwara Kiwara is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.
Posts: 27,016
Default

I've heard of Swordbird, in fact I looked it up. It was really sad how the people, like professional writers or critics, completely bashed her books. Half of the reviews I was thinking to myself "Wow, this could be me. How would I handle the critisim?" and all that. Sad, I don't handle critisim, my brain won't allow me to submit something that isn't the best it could be as far as I'm concerned. I guess that would be why I would be extremely peeved if someone said it could be better.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Danish621 Danish621 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwara View Post
Aw...you're an excellent writer though! I read reviews that the characters weren't developed well enough--you could do that. I criticize myself--like this: "Look, Dana, your book is great and all, but just be mindful that it could be better. Like, that snobby girl in the story? She seems unrealistic. You better fix that or you're not gonna get published." Something like that.

I seriously do feel bad for Nancy Yi Fan--but anyway, if she was good enough to get published, then she should know she's good.
__________________

Have a grape day.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Kiwara Kiwara is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 27,016
Default

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I've heard too. That her characters weren't fully developed or that it was an overall bore. But the fact that her characters weren't your average character was smart. To do a character that no one really portrays and to do it well, that's what will get you noticed and on top of that to be young, well then you've just made yourself a hit. I personally think that's smart.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Danish621 Danish621 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 1,500
Default

Doesn't everyone dream of being a famous author...lol...

Anyways, I was reading a forum on this author's website (wasn't even searching for that author...) that was talking about constructive criticism. I found it here. And it was about how even criticism like, "Your characters weren't well-developed" makes you improve. Because then, when you try again, you try to develop your characters even more...

I've found loads of cliches in character traits:

>The silent genius. You know the one, the character that prowls the hallways yet gets straight A's and a 4.17 average.
>The snobby popular. C'mon. The Clique, Mean Girls, everywhere there's a snobby popular. What about an unpopular snob? The snob that everyone silently hates? Like Draco Malfoy.
>The nice rich popular smart athletic girl. C'mon, now. Is this person...perfect? If you took away just two or three of these elements and replace them with bad habits (cancer, dangerous, disloyal or too trusting), then you've got yourself a pretty good character, I think.

And so on. I agree, if you do a character not often portrayed and do it well, then it'll get you noticed. Like, I dunno, a super-smart girl that teachers hate for her fiery wit. And then, she's unpopular but polite and with a single best friend. With a coupla bad habits, a coupla good habits. I dunno.
__________________

Have a grape day.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Kiwara Kiwara is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 27,016
Default

Wow. Haha I love the cliche characters! It's perfect! But, yeah, wait...what exactly are we supposed to be doing on this thread? Getting email or something of authors?
I've found the ladies behind Erin Hunter, but I've yet to find an email.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
authors, contact, email, kidpubuary, writing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.