//
Graduation Speech...please read

Graduation Speech...please read

Posted May 13th, 2009 by Danish621

by Dana
in vincible.

May 14th, 2009

Okay, well there's a contest for writing a graduation speech in my grade. I bet everyone--including Jesi; she's read me hers and it's spectacular--is confident about their speeches, but my speech writing is horrible, I've never written a speech before in my life and I can't present it. But, please tell me if I need to add or remove anything. I've tweaked the names a bit because their parents are like that, not wanting to have much personal info "out there". Here goes:

“I hope your dreams take you to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.” –Unknown Author.

I’m not going to go all “life is a rollercoaster” on you; we’ve all seen that on movies. Life is a rollercoaster, but we all need to find a new metaphor for that. I’m also not going to drone on and on, because I’ve been through excruciatingly long speeches. Well-written speeches, but excruciatingly long speeches with a giant hint of that whole “life is a rollercoaster” icon.

I’ve only been at this school for two years, since fourth grade. I’m not going to compare it to my old school, going “Oh, my old school was so much more fill-in-the-blank than”—oh, look at me, droning already. And I’m only on my third paragraph.

In these two years—that, unlike my speech, were not excruciatingly long—I’ve learned quite a bit. Made quite a bit too. Took steps back, and used baby-steps to get back even higher. Like friends. I’ve lost some, gained some, kind of like life. Kind of like hide-and-seek in a maze, which life basically is. And sometimes, you’re the one searching through the dark corners, ready to yell, “Ollie-Ollie-Oxen-Free”. It’s all worth it because you know you’ll find someone.

The teachers—I could write an excruciatingly long speech about just the teachers. The teachers here are world-class; they should be like a traveling circus—showing off their freakishly amazing tutoring skills. Comparing teachers to circus performers? Not too good. But the teachers; if you decide to clap for my speech when it’s finally over, just remember to clap for the teachers that taught me how to write one. If you’d like, we could have a short intermission reserved just for teacher-clapping, because this speech is long enough to have one and the teachers pretty much deserve it.

I’ve talked about friends, I’ve talked about the teachers, and now it’s time to drone on about the rest of you. That’s right; you all get your own paragraph in the speech, but also an engraving in my mind. I don’t get along with some of you as well as I do with others, and some of you I barely even know. Hey, maybe I could get to know you. Maybe I could win a game of hide-and-seek in the maze. Maybe…there’s a list of possibilities that I could write a novel about.

Another thing I could write a novel about is my years here. As in, just school. Two novels, a trilogy, a series, maybe. But I’ll squish those novels into two paragraphs.

Fourth grade. Fourth grade was—wow. I expected to be “That New Girl”—I expected to prowl the halls, alone, wondering when I should say “Ollie Ollie Oxen Free”. But it wasn’t. I wasn’t alone; there were two other new students—Jenny Green and Brandon Synger. I got to know both of them—and I don’t regret it. Jennifer’s in the crowd here, dressed in who-knows-what, and I’m not trying to embarrass you, Jen, because I bet I look silly in this dress. And Brandon—well, he’s off, living his new life, but I bet we have our very own engraving in his mind.

And fifth grade—well, fifth grade was—and is—different. New friends to play with, old friends reunited with, and laughs shared between us all. In fact, something more than laughter was shared between us all. It starts with a B, maybe you know it—bonds. I got new world-class teachers, and I’m really glad they’re not a traveling circus because I’ve enjoyed having them teach us. Maybe I’m speaking for the entire fifth grade, maybe just for a fraction of it.

Hey, I’ve got another quote from you. If you know Dr. Seuss, maybe you’ll know it. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.”

I’m me. Not top of class, not student of the year. And now I know I’m speaking for all of us. You are you. Nothing can change that, not even Taylor. In fact, we’re the ones that are going to change Taylor.

(Taylor is the middle school.)

Anyways, "Today you are you" is an inside joke between me and my classmates. it used to be my email signature and these boys that I email started making fun of me about it, yelling, "Youer than you!" lol. 

See more stories by Dana
I liked it. I have a

I liked it. I have a suggestion though, just a itsy bitsy less about how the speach won't be that long. Other than that, I think it was great!

Posted by De-Ecrivian on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 01:17
It's really good  You have

It's really good Laughing You have NOTHING to worry about.

Posted by Zaheda on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 01:24
Awesomeness! Be more

Awesomeness! Be more confident in yourself, Gingy! This is great!!!

Some peeps would stick a quote here, but I think the above comment is awesome enough on it's own.

Posted by Mackenzie on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 16:32
Thanks guys, but like I

Thanks guys, but like I said, Jessi's is wayway better than this. And Mac-Mac: I have confidence in it, but I totally know that I'll be fumbling around with words if I have to present it. :P Anyways, I can't believe it--this thing is getting graded. I almost burst out laughing when I heard that, though I don't know why. 

~This is not a poem, but words on a page/As this pen glides on this sheet, the written words will age.~

Posted by ~Dana Dee on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 20:59