//
A guide to a great park in RCT3

A guide to a great park in RCT3

Posted February 12th, 2010 by Liqfym

by Liqfym
in my imagination, where I'm everything I've ever wanted to be!!!

February 12th, 2010

I love the game RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. Lately I've been more into it than usual, so I've decided to write a short guide on how to make a good park!

First off, before you build ANYTHING, think of what you want your park to become. PLAN AHEAD. You will not regret it! Do you want a Sci-Fi themed park? Pirates, Western, Spooky, or just Generic? Do you want a mix of many different themes, like in Disney World? Decide in advance before you do anything with your park.

Then, do some landscaping to fit the area. Just don't go overboard and make half your park a huge hole, and the other half a huge plateau, with Sci-Fi plants, an Indian village, and a misty graveyard sitting right next to a pirate ride. No. That is not what you want, unless it's Crazily-Mixed-Up World. Put in landscaping that fits the theming of your park, like harsh, unnatural angles for Sci-Fi, or gently rolling hills for a forest, or a beach for Pirates. BEWARE OF PIMPLE HILLS – hills that bear a definite resemblance to pimples. They help with raising the value of nearby rides, but they look terrible. Link hills together, and make good use of the terrain-smoothing tool. Also change the terrain type – don't just keep the generic grass if it's a Western or Sci-Fi themed park or area. Put in some rock, sand, or a different, more fitting type of grass.

Next, make your entrance area look good. Widen the path and change the path type to whatever fits your theme. Add in some stalls and some gentle rides, as intense rides at the very beginning will just make your Peeps sick, and they'll leave the park in anger and disgust with your park. Put the more intense and nauseating rides near the back of the park; this will serve to draw Peeps through your park, and they'll spend more time there (and more money!)

Aesthetics are valued highly by Peeps, and they also make your park look good to you. I don't know about you, but even if my Peeps love my park, if I am not pleased with it, then I don't want to play in it and expand it, because it's boring. I'm not saying Peeps' opinions don't matter, though – they're what keep your park going. Theming could be as simple as a couple of trees and a scenery object – but to make it look really good, put in a lot of foliage, scenery objects, animatronics, hills, water, and so on.

Also, don't squash all your rides in one area. Give each of your rides a LOT of space, and I mean a LOT. There will always be a time where you'll want to make changes, and giving yourself plenty of space makes making changes a whole heck of a lot easier. It's impossible to make the changes you want if the rides are so close that there's only one square between them.

Make rides' entrances and queue lines interesting. Peeps will complain less about long lines if there are cool things to look at while waiting. Put it in a building, or on a beach, or in a forest. Plus, it makes it more interesting to you, as I mentioned before.

Don't EVER forget to put stalls around the park. Peeps are there to ride the rides, of course, but they do need to eat, drink, and use the restroom every once in a while. If you think you have too many stalls, then put in a few more, because while oftentimes less is more, in the case of stalls, more is a lot better than less. Of course, don't make every tenth path piece have a stall right next to it, but definitely put many around the park so that Peeps always have something nearby to satisfy their needs. (This is the problem with many real-life parks – not enough food stalls. I'm usually shaky with hunger when I arrive home after going to an amusement park.)

While lots of theming, landscaping, and rides are nice, don't ever, ever overdo it. You don't need mountains covered with trees and bushes, a plethora of scenery objects and animatronics, and a lake, just for a merry-go-round. You also don't need the entire park to be dense with rides. If you really think about it... a real amusement park has lots of attractions, sure. But consider how many of these are simple shows, amazingly well-themed areas, and transports to get you from one place to another… and how many are REAL rides. A park doesn’t need a hundred rides – heck, it doesn’t even really need fifty – unless it’s a superpark, which are the parks I like to build, with 6+ themed areas, tons of rides and scenery, and miles of land to build it on.

One thing that Peeps absolutely love is when you have synchronized rollercoasters. These two rollercoasters have adjacent stations and leave those stations at the same time, then follow an identical, mirrored track pattern. It’s always fun to go on a rollercoaster, and look over at one point and see another train go through the same sequence you’re going through at the same time. It also provides a boost to your excitement ratings for the rollercoaster, and the more exciting something is for a Peep, the better it is for your park.

On to one of the hardest challenges you will face when creating a multi-themed park – transitioning from one themed area to another. A boring but simple and easy way to do this is to have walls surrounding each area, and little passageways leading into other walled-in places. However, here are some better ways….

The first way is to have small mountains surround each place, but make it look NATURAL. Big, squarish mountains and hills will only work well for a Sci-Fi area, and even then you’ll need to make some adjustments to make it look GOOD. But for other themes, you’ll want a nicely sloping, natural-looking hill with trees or cacti or whatever goes best with that particular theme. Create a gap in between a couple mountains, and create a path through it. Put an arch or something over it to hide the new theme that’s coming up, and voila! You have a nice, natural transition to the next “land.”

Another good way is to take the path through a small, generic forest, and have it emerge on the other side into a new area. Nice, simple, effective, easy, natural… it’s everything you need for a trouble-free transition.

An additional method works only with an expansion pack, doesn’t matter which one. You have to raise a piece of land, then build a path tunnel through it. Smooth down the edges of the raised land, decorate the tunnel entrances a bit with the appropriate scenery, and you’re done!

Don't feel like you need to pay attention to ALL of this. Your park is YOUR park, and I'm not trying to tell you how to run it. As long as you're happy with your park, that's all that matters. Hope this helps, and have fun!

See more stories by Liqfym