/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ 5 Tips to Benefit your writing! | KidPub Press //
5 Tips to Benefit your writing!

5 Tips to Benefit your writing!

Posted April 19th, 2017 by kltippett

by QueenK
in Florida

Tip 1: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

The first and extremely important tip to writing, is planning your story. Some writers (me for example) hate planning their stories, and send their undeveloped characters into a wild goose chase. I do this often and the consequences for not planning can be deadly to the story you are writing. I often come up with these brilliant story ideas that I started, but didn’t finish. If I had planned before hand, then I would know exactly where my characters were going to go, and how they were going to come across the solution. Don’t get me wrong though; it is good to free write and get your writing ideas flowing.

Tip 2: Create Relatable Characters

You are off to writing a new story when you find that your characters don’t have a specific personality, they are all over the place! This happens to me a lot, and I find that I need to plan out my characters. (Planning your characters is very important when writing a story.) Here is an example….. Percy Jackson from The Lightning Thief. (If you have not read that book, you have missed out on life.) In this story Percy Jackson is a rather funny character with a terrible dad and a loving mom. He has his flaws and he makes dumb mistakes, but at the same time he is brave and readers look up to him. Of course he has water powers from Poseidon and Yada Yada Yada, but he has a very sincere and obvious personality that readers can relate to and connect with. You want to make sure that readers can relate to your characters to create a better and more realistic story.

Tip 3: Edit your story before posting!

If you are like me…….  you want to get your story out there as quick as possible, but ……. No. You need to take time on your stories. Editing them is incredibly important to make your story the best it can be! And believe me, I hate editing. It is my least favorite part of the whole writing process, and often people just skip over it all together. You can’t do that! Editing is the time to make your story into a beautiful master piece instead of a rushed story. Of course editing doesn’t have to take like a full week, but take your time. Editing is a very important and delicate step. It is the last step before your story is finally released to the public! Try asking adults to help you edit. I’m sure they will be glad to help!

Tip 4: Make your story Realistic!  

Describing the scene gives the readers more of a picture of what you are trying to write,and when they can elaborately picture your settings and characters, then they will enjoy the story ten times more. Try using describing words like dark, dirty, pretty, old, smelly, exc.  Here is an example:

Without description:

The bomb exploded. I dived for cover. This could be the end, I thought to myself, as I slowly drifted off to a deep sleep.

With Description:

The bomb exploded. I dived for  cover under the desks in my office. Screams, sirens, and the evil cackle of fire filled my head. This could be the end, I thought to myself, as I slowly drifted into a deep dark sleep.

There is an obvious difference in those two texts. Describe the scene enough so that the reader can almost picture it and hear it. I guarantee that your writing will be way better. If you have problems coming up with good describing words, then use a dictionary 0r a thesaurus. There are lots of resources that you can use to make your story the best it can be.

Tip 5: Use Dialogue Correctly!

When you are writing a story and don’t put dialogue into it, the story becomes bland and dry. Of Course you can always use too much dialogue. It is good to find the right balance of dialogue between characters. You also want to make sure that you don’t use the word “said” too much. When I write dialogue I try to use any word other than “said.”  An example of that is:

“They are coming!” I screamed

“They have arrived.” Growled a giant wolf as his pack circled around me.

“Stay calm!” cackled the microphone in my ear.

There are lots of different words that you can use instead of “said” to make your dialogue more interesting and less repetitive.

Conclusion

I hope this helps! I got some info from research and from my own personal problems that I sometimes have when writing. I will probably make more things like this to help people improve their writing. Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

See more stories by QueenK
nice tips!

nice tips!

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:49
† My dog has four legs

† My dog has four legs †

Omg, I so relate to the first one. I always have great story ideas but i never finish the story.

Posted by Lelin Da Flame† on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 18:20
These are nice tips. It's

These are nice tips. It's good to see a writing advice post floating around KidPub. I haven't seen one in a while.

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by Red Zero on Mon, 04/24/2017 - 11:44