/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Accident Chapter 1, 2 hours before | KidPub Press //
The Accident Chapter 1, 2 hours before

The Accident Chapter 1, 2 hours before

Posted December 14th, 2018 by chicken123

2 hours before

I was standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes. My mom walked into the room, and told me she could finish them. I had to do homework. I sat down at the table, and tried to figure out cross multiplication. Why do we need to learn this kind of stuff anyway? When were we ever going to use this kind of stuff? My mom walked over to me, and her forehead wrinkled in concentration.

“What even is this stuff?” She asked me. I shrugged and went back to working. My mom tried to help me, then gave up and went back to washing dishes. She does everything she can for us. My dad died when I was 6, and we did everything together. I was daddy’s girl. I went fishing with him, camping with him and my mom, but never hunting. I hated the idea that we were killing animals. I know somebody has to do it for us in order to eat, I just don't like to be the one doing it. Oh, and by the way, I’m an only child. But I keep myself busy. I make crafts, I sew, I bake. I do a lot of things by myself. Sometimes it’s lonely, especially since my dad died four years ago. But I know he still loves me, and he’s looking down at me right now. He’s probably thinking Why on Earth does she need to learn that kind of math? I laughed just thinking about it.

“What’s so funny?” Mom asked me.
“I was just thinking about dad, and what he would say if he was here. About my math, I mean.” My mom nodded and went back to work. Ever since my dad died, she had been quiet as a mouse. He was the light and joy of her life. But now he’s gone. I personally think she needs to let a little joy and life back into her life, but I don’t tell her that to her face. She has enough on her plate right now.

There, done. I finally finished my homework. I forgot to do it the night before, I was so tired. Thanks goodness we don’t get graded if the answers are right or not. We get graded on whether or not we attempted all of the problems.  

I put my homework in my backpack, and turned around to look at the clock. The bus would be here in three minutes. Perfect, just enough time to eat a piece of toast. I put the toast in the toaster, and sat down to read my book, Harry Potter. So far I was at the part where he is in the chamber, putting the fang in the basilisk’s mouth.

I smell smoke suddenly. Shoot. I left the toast in the toaster. There was smoke pouring out of it and it was so hot, that I had to grab it with potholders. My toast was completely black. Yum. I sighed, and threw the toast in the garbage. I didn’t even hear the bus pull up to my house. My mom apparently didn't either, since the water was running and she was washing the same plate for the fourth time. My guess is that she was thinking about my dad. She misses him a lot, I can tell.

She shut the water off, and the bus pulled away, screeching down our road.

“Oh no!” I cried. I missed the bus, my homework was hard, and my toast was black. And Harry Potter just died in my book. Haha just kidding. Now my mom would have to drive me to school, and I know how busy she was today. My mom cares a lot about me, and I don’t want her to feel stressed for everything she has to do. I try to help out as much as I can. But sometimes it’s just not enough. I love my mom. Sorry, that was a little random. But I do. She has raised me by herself for four years now.

“Alright, time to go. I guess i’ll have to take you.” She said to me. I felt bad, but I had to get to school. I grabbed my school stuff, and headed out to the car. I could feel that something wasn't right. What it was, I had no idea. Just that something was off. I shrugged and got into the car. We started driving down the road towards my school, when I smelled the most peculiar smell. I couldn't put a finger on what it was. Oh well. I thought. Couldn’t be anything too bad. I started going over my social studies test in my head. George Washington was the first President, John Adams was the first Vice President, and the President's group of advisor is called a cabinet.. Man, I’m going to ace this.

Just then, a thin wisp of smoke flew up from the hood. My mom didn’t realize. She was drinking out of her “World’s Best Mom,” cup that I got for her birthday last year. The car screeched, and that weird smell became stronger. I knew what it was without knowing what it was. That made no sense, but let’s just go with it. I knew it was gas. Our car was leaking. I had seen plenty of movies, but none could have prepared me for this. I always thought that something this was just a bad thing that happened to people. That it wasn’t a reality. But it is. It’s all happening.

Memories of my family all happy together swirled around in my head. I glanced at my mom, who’s forehead was all scrunched up. She looked at me for a split second, and her eyes seemed to say I’m sorry. I touched her shoulder. Maybe this was just a dream. Or a nightmare. Maybe I’m just imagining all of this. One look at my mom again said it wasn’t a dream. This was real, and something bad was going to come out of it. I knew that before anything happened I had to say something important.

“I love you, mom.” She looked at me and said, “I love you too baby girl.” Just then, the car hit something. I jerked forward, my ears ringing. I heard my mom scream, then it was silent. The airbag flew out, then everything went black.