/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Accident chapter 10 | KidPub Press //
The Accident chapter 10

The Accident chapter 10

Posted August 22nd, 2019 by chicken123

I yawned, and stretched my back. I was up tossing and turning all night. And there as a huge knot in my back. My bed here is way different than my bed at home.

"Morning Grandma!" I hollered.

"Morning sweetie!" I heard from the kitchen. I walk into the living room, around a wall, and into a hallway then back again before I finally stumble into the kitchen.

As soon as I stepped into the kitchen, I smelled the most amazing smell. I turn to see Grandma making pancakes in a small pan on the stove. She already had a heaping stack on her right.

"I made pancakes!" She said cheerfully.

"You sure did," I muttered to myself. I grab an empty plate, and begin to fork pancakes onto it. Sitting at the glossy oak table, I started to stuff my face with the steaming pile of heaven in front of me.

"Some of your friends stopped by. Wanted to see how you were doing," Grandma said, never looking up from her pan of pancake mix.

I choked on my pancake mid-mouthful, and I almost spit it out. "What friends?" I managed to ask between tears from coughing.

"Oh, uh,  one girl had long brown silky hair and olive-colored skin. She was with two other girls, and they both had blonde hair. I don't think they mentioned their names though."

I groaned loudly, and put my fork down. I lost my appetite. No matter how much I lost my memory, I would always- sadly -remember them. Everyone at school called them, "The Popular Girls," because they were liked by everyone. Mainly on social media, and mainly because they made people like them or they threatened them.

The "leader" of the group was named Lana. The other girls with blonde hair were named Hannah and Riley. Shoving me into lockers, insulting me, and talking about me, hurts my feelings.

But I tried to never let it get to me. So while I’m sitting at the table, I’ll just try to remind myself that they are just bullies, just words. 

It reminds me of something my dad said to me. I came home from school one day almost in tears. But I couldn't let him see me cry. He pulled me into his lap, and whispered into my ear, “No one can determine who you are. Only you can.” I nodded my head, and he pulled me in close, stroking my hair. I inhaled the smell of his tobacco on his shirt, and he pulled a sucker out of his pocket. Whenever I was ad, he gave me candy. Unhealthy, I know. But it always cheered me up.

“Earth to Kara!” Grandma said in my face. 

“Sorry,” I muttered. She nodded, and flipped the last pancake onto the green plate in front of her. She sat down in front of me, and took out her fake teeth. It was all I could do not to throw up my breakfast. She shoveled pancakes in her mouth, making a gross squelch with her gums. Blach. 

“I… lost my appetite.” I pushed my plate away from me, and started to stand. 

“Where are you going?” Grandma asks. 

“Umm, to my room. I want to do some, uh, drawings. No big deal.” I stammered. Truth was, I had no idea what I was going to do. As long as I could avoid Grandma and her gross fake teeth and the reality of life as long as possible. So yeah, no big deal. 

“Ok, well while you’re up there, you can get stuff out for school tomorrow.” I tripped up the stair I was on, falling on my face. With a big Oof, I turned my head so fast I thought my neck would break. I blew the hair out of my face, and stared at Grandma incredulously. She smiled with her teethless mouth, showing gross half-chewed pancakes. I shivered, and felt my breakfast rise into my mouth again. Shoving it back down, I tried to make something that looked like a glare. Apparently it didn't work, because Grandma laughed.

“Girl, you ain’t gonna fool anybody with that,” she cackled again. I huffed and puffed, and wished that I could blow the school down. I stormed up the stairs into my room. I slammed the door behind me. No one yelled at me not to slam it. So I opened it and slammed it again for good measure. Still nothing. Ugh, whatever. I flopped on my bed.

I did not want to start school again tomorrow. I had enough going on in my life already. I groaned into my blankets, and turned over so that I was looking at the stars on my ceiling. It’s like the glow of them went dimmer. 

There was no use denying it. My life was over. As soon as I went to school, my life would end. The disgusting cafeteria food, the bullying, the kids, the disgusting cafeteria food. 

I heaved myself out of bed with a sigh. I opened my closet. I thought it would be bare, but inside, I found a bunch of my clothes, school stuff, and stuff from home. Grandma must’ve brought it for me when I was in the hospital.

I grabbed my backpack, shoving all of my school stuff into it. There, done. Now I just needed to find a halfway-decent outfit. I reached into my closet and pulled out the first thing my hands touched. I pulled it out. It was a witch Halloween costume. Yeah, I don’t think I can wear that to school unless it’s Halloween. I put that in my closet, making a promise to myself I would wear it for Halloween.

This time, I looked through the clothes until I found what I was looking for. It was a white romper with red flowers on it. It was perfect. I wore it at my first birthday party.

I pulled out a pair of white Vans to go with it, and a pale pink scrunchie. Setting those aside, I took in a deep breath, trying to prepare myself mentally and physically for tomorrow.

Sure, it was going to be rough and tough. And painful. Again, mentally and physically. But was I for sure going to make it through my first day back? No, probably not. But would I try? Yeah, I would. I will die trying. Now, that saying finally makes sense to me. I don't think it’s the right meaning, but whatever. It’s my meaning.