/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Accident chapter 6 (i said i wasn't going to post more on here, but I'll post two more chapters) | KidPub Press //
The Accident chapter 6 (i said i wasn't going to post more on here, but I'll post two more chapters)

Posted February 16th, 2019 by chicken123

My arms were exhausted. I had paint on my face, arms, and clothes. I even had some on my foot, and I had no idea how that got there. But they walls were starting to look great. There were thirteen hallways in this hospital. This was going to take a while.

I finished painting the flower I was working on, and went to see how some of the other kids were doing. Instead of Basil and I doing it by ourselves, we thought it would be fun to ask some of the younger kids staying in the hospital to help. Even if they don’t paint perfectly and you can't really tell what their pictures are, it's nice to see them all smiling and having fun.

Basil walked over to me. “I’m so glad the boss it out of town for the holidays. I’m going to be in so much trouble.” She had a worried look on her face. I don't blame her. I wouldn't just lie to my boss to paint his building. Now, I kinda regret asking her to paint this place. Sure, it needed it, but it wasn't worth risking somebody's job for it.

But the damage is already done. Or should I say the awesomeness! This place looks fantabulous! The walls are almost done, and almost every inch of them is covered in some beautiful colorful design. The greatest part about this project, is that we all worked together to accomplish something beautiful.

The little kids have more paint on themselves than they put on the walls, but they’re having fun. And that's what matters. It's nice to see a change around here. I’ve only been here a few days, but it already felt like home. The people here were so kind to me, especially Basil. Her and I had become good friends, chatting in the hall, walking together in the hallways, doing normal stuff. We’ve even snuck into the kitchen to steal a little bit of cake out of the fridge, which I never got because I was stuck with applesauce, chocolate milk, and other yucky hospital foods. Don't get me wrong, chocolate milk is the bomb, but not if they give you it every Friday.

“Time to get this paint cleaned up, before somebody tattles on us!” Basil says. She is covered in paint too, and her brown ponytail has paint in it. But her smile is big and she looks happy so I won't mention it. I look at the clock on the wall, and it says it’s three o’clock. Wow, already? It seemed like it was just one o’clock. I shrugged.

I took a look at one of my creations. I painted  my mom and my dad, with me in the middle of them. We were all holding hands, and there was a big heart above us. On empty spaces all over the wall, I painted little things. Like flowers, or rainbows, or just splotches of color. On a big open space, I painted the lullaby my mom and I used to sing, with a big peanut butter and jelly painted next to it.

It looked great. I just hope the owner didn’t get too mad. I had no idea when he was supposed to get back, and I hoped I was here when he did. Now, you’re probably thinking, “Why would she want to be there to witness basil get fired, and to get in HUGE trouble for what we’d done?” I just wanted to see the look on his face when he sees this. If he doesn't appreciate it, then there is totally something wrong with that guy. In a good way, of course.

I just wish I didn't have to leave this place. I know that sounds kind of crazy, but the people here are growing on me. Especially Basil. She has been my closest friend here.  

Just as I was putting my painting supplies away, Bill walked up to me. He told me it was an emergency and I was needed back in my room, and that my grandmother was already there. What the heck was going on?

Bill looked at the wall we painted. I held my breath. There was a moment of silence. Say something Bill.

“Wow.” Was all he said. Wow. Does that mean he thinks it is good, or bad?

“Does the owner know, Kara?” Why does everybody call him “the owner?” Does he not have a name or something?

“Kara.” Bill was waiting for me to answer him. I slightly shook my head. I thought he was going to be mad, but a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. “Why didn't we think of this sooner?” he asked. I almost laughed out loud. Who knew I could be so persuasive? Everybody was going against their boss- not that that was a good thing -and doing something to make other people happy.

Bill ushered me into my room down the hallway,, reminding me that there was something important going on. I wonder what it could be about. When I walked in, my grandmother, and some other nurses were waiting for us.

“Uh, what's going on?” I asked. It seemed a little strange, with all of them there.

“Well, during the tests we did,” They had done a lot of blood tests, x-rays, and a lot of other stuff I can't pronounce. Bill continued, “We found something wrong with you. Do you remember how I said you lost your memory from that day?” I nodded yes, and he continued, “You hit the back of your head in the crash, on the back of the seat. Sometimes, a sudden memory loss can be caused by a physical trauma. For instance a head injury to the temporal lobe of the brain has been known to causes symptoms of a memory loss. This type of memory loss can be caused by abuse or psychological pressure, or in your case, a car accident. I’ve never seen anything like your case before. Normally car crashes are bad enough to have more damage on a person, but you hit your head. While you hit your head, something happened. You jarred your parietal lobe. That's in your brain.” My head was spinning. No pun intended. “Your parietal lobe assists with the interpretation of touch, it plays a role between numbers and their relationships, and it helps with the understanding of objects, shapes, and space. Since it was jarred, you will have trouble with most things I just listed. But we have a surgery scheduled for you in a few months.”

What? I have to have surgery? Part of my brain moved? That was cool and crazy to think about at the same time. And I didn't know Bill was that smart. As soon as I got here, he didn't seem like a very good doctor. But now I had to trust him. I had to had brain surgery! Maybe I’d turn into Frankenstein! Doubt it, but it was cool anyway.

“Would my brain be the same after surgery?” All seriousness returned.

“I don't know,” he answered quietly. My grandmother hadn't said a word this whole time, she just sat in the brown chair next to my bed and stared out of the one tiny window I have in my room.

“I have some good news, though,” Bill said. “You’ll be able to go home tomorrow night!” I didn't know if that was good news or bad news. I can't wait to see my friend Brook, but I love this place. Ok, I hate this place, but I love the people here. They taught me to be myself, and that when something is hard, you go for it anyway.

This is normally where I would make a sarcastic comment, but it’s true. I never would have made better friends than the people here. They almost made me forget about the accident. Hey, I said almost.But seriously, these guys are the best. And I had to let them know it. But how? What could I do, that showed them how much they mean to me?

Yes! I’ve got it! But I’m not telling you yet. It’s a surprise. And I have to pull it off by tomorrow night.