/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Accident chapter 7 | KidPub Press //
The Accident chapter 7

The Accident chapter 7

Posted February 16th, 2019 by chicken123

I was doomed. I had a great idea to show how much Bill and Basil meant to me, and it backfired. I wasn't going to tell you, but I guess I can. I am- was -going to put on a show with the rest of the hospital. I was going to try to go under their noses, but they would notice. With the whole hospital helping and performing, they would definitely find out. To show Bill and Basil how great they are, I was going to sing a song. I know its a little short, but I was thinking of singing the lullaby my mom and I sang. It’s a really important song to her and I.

But how was I going to do it? There was no way we could all keep this a secret from them. Unless… What if we got them out of the hospital, and got everything prepared and rehearsed? That would totally work. Sure, it would be hard, but it would definitely work.

We were almost finished. I had asked some of the kids that painted the walls with me to be in our little production, and they said they would. I even asked some other kids that didn't paint the walls with us to join, and they reluctantly joined.

Bill and basil were going to love this. I had asked the owner to give them the day off, because we were going to put on a talent show. I told him they were such good workers (I didn't mention painting the walls) and it was something I needed right now. He agreed, but we have to have everything cleaned up by five o’clock tonight.

We were putting on a talent show, and everyone was going to do an act. We had trios, duets, and some people were doing solos. And it  was going to be great.

At the end of the show, I was going to sing the lullaby my mom and I used to sing with each other. I borrowed a guitar from one of the people in the hospital, and I looked up the song. I have been learning how to play that song on a guitar every chance I get. Normally it’s just on the breaks I give myself, but I think I’ve got it down.

I looked at the clock now. It read two o’clock. Oh my stars! We only have three hours until everything has to be cleaned up!

“Ok, chop chop everybody! This show isn't going to run itself!” I heard a boy hanging tinsel say to his friend quietly, “Why is she being so strict? This is supposed to be fun! And we still have five hours until cleanup.” Wait what? Did he say five hours? Didn't the clock say we have three, though?

Ohhh. Bill said I would have trouble reading numbers. It all adds up. When we were painting the walls, I thought it was one o’clock, instead of three. And, this morning, my pancakes (yes, they finally let me have some real food! The chef said we were celebrating me being able to leave) looked like squares. And now, I think it’s two o’clock instead of twelve.

I wish my mom was here. She’d know what to do. She’d wrap me up in a big hug, and tell me that even though I was having some tough times, she still loved me and I was her baby girl.

She’d especially love this talent show. Everybody is laughing and talking to each other. People are throwing tinsel at each other’s heads, the chef is bringing in freshly baked Christmas cookies. It was so much fun. And she wasn't here to experience it with me.

But somehow, I felt that she was. In the glow of the star on top of the big Christmas tree somebody cut down, I could see my parents with their arms wrapped around each other, smiling at me and having the best time of their life.

And I smiled back. I could never have done this alone. My parents were there with me the whole way.

Now I had a show to run. Now that I knew we had five hours, I felt a little more at ease. But not entirely. “Come on people, let's GO!” I shouted at a bunch of nurses drinking coffee and gossipping, and they scurried back to work.

Now all that was left of me to do was sit back, and watch this take fold. Wow it was tiring to put a whole show together. But I still had to rehearse through the whole thing. Grr.

“Ok, can I see Jimmy and Bella please?” Two ballet dancers came out on the little stage that I dragged from the basement, and I cued the music and lighting guy to play their song. They danced beautifully. I couldn't wait for them to perform.

I called the next girl up onto stage. Her name was Angie. She was supposed to sing a song, but she never came on stage. I called her again, and she still didn't come. I decided to go look for her. I already had the programs made and we would have to erase her name from every single one if she didn't perform.

I walked backstage, weaving my way through dancers, and backstage helpers carrying boxes of props. “Angie!” I called. I heard sniffling, and I walked towards it. Just when I thought I had found her, the sniffling stopped. I think I might know where she is though. I walked around a rack of costumes, and found a little girl hiding under a pile of fabric. It was Angie.

“Hey Angie. Are you Ok?” She wiped her wet eyes, then shrugged. I sat down next to her, and put my arm around her shoulders.

“What’s wrong?” I asked her. She looked up at me, and I saw a much younger version of me reflected in her watery eyes.

“Everybody’s parents and families are coming to watch them perform tonight, and I have nobody to watch me.”

“Well you know what? I’m here. And I’m your family. And guess what else? Your parents are here,” I touched where her heart was. “And they’re also here,” I touched her head. “And they are also looking down at you right now, thinking of how good of a girl you’ve become. And they are happy.” Angie wiped her eyes, then prepared to stand up. Great, now I might cry.

“Now let’s get out there, and show them what you’ve got,” I pulled my arm off of the shoulder, and she hugged me. Hard. Then she walked through the mess of people backstage, and made her way along the curtain until she was onstage.

I did the same, and sat down in a chair to here her. I didn't know what she was doing for the show, because I didn't have time to listen to everybody. But knowing what just happened backstage, I had to listen now.

She walked up to the microphone. Aww, she was going to sing. She has such a cute voice, so I wonder how good she is. She gave me a thumbs up, and I winked at her. Then she took a tiny breath, and began to sing.

It was a small sound at first, but then it grew stronger. Man, that girl could sing. She was singing a song that sounded familiar to me. I realized what it was. She was singing, “A Million Dreams,” from the movie, “The Greatest Showman.” My mom and I watched it together when it came out last year. We loved it! All of the singing and dancing made us watch it over and over again.

Angie sounded just like the movie. Her voice was small, but it was powerful. She looked relaxed up on stage, like there was no place she’d rather be.

Everybody that heard her stopped working, and listened. Some had their eyes closed, while other were swaying to the music. When she sang the words, “I think of what the world could be, a vision of the one I see,” she stopped mid-sentence. I knew she was thinking of her parents. She was thinking of what it could be like if her parents were here with her. I continued the song for her, “A million dreams is all it’s gonna take,” then we ended the song harmonizing.

Everybody clapped, and I walked onto the stage.

“That was beautiful!” I said to her.

“I messed up. I couldn't stop thinking about what you said. About my parents and family. You’re right. You are my family,” then she hugged me, and ran backstage to find the chef and the cookies she made.

Singing that song made me think of my parents. It made me think if how good I had it compared to other kids.

I asked a boy decorating the Christmas tree what time it was, and he said three o’clock. Oh no! I didn't have time to watch everybody perform! But we had to get the show started. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

“Alright, places everybody!” The people decorating the tree finished quickly, hanging their ornaments wherever there was room. The people decorating the ceiling and walls threw their tinsel someplace where there wasn't any. Everyone gathered on stage.

“I just want to say, you guys don't know how much this means to me. A few days ago, I started out my day normally.I was going to school, studying for a test, when our car crashed.” Some people gasped. “I lost my mother that day. But I never lost hope or love. Hope and love is what got me through all of this. Even though I knew both of my parents were gone, I could still feel them. I knew they were here. And here.” I touched my head and my heart. “If nobody can come for you tonight, if you say you have no family here to watch you, think again. Look at the person on your left. On your right. What do you see? We are all your family, and we are here to support you.” Everybody clapped, and I jumped down from the chair I was standing on.

“Now let’s get the show on the road!” Everybody cheered, and got down from the stage. We got in order backstage, and I took a headcount. Yep, everyone was here. Now, all that was left, was to get Bill and Basil back here.

I walked up to the chef, and she called both of them. She told them the boss wanted them back here for a very important reason. She giggled and set the phone down.

“It’s a very great thing you did here tonight,” she said to me. I thanked ehr, and waited at the door in the lobby to escort them in. I peaked out the door, and saw them walking down the sidewalk that led to the hospital. Yes! They were here!

I held open the door, and they smiled. I grinned back. They didn't know what they were in for. “Lady and gentleman, please let me escort to to your surprise.” They looked at each other with their eyebrows up. I took them both buy the arms and led them to the cafeteria, where we had set up the show.

“Surprise!” Everybody yelled at us as we walked in. Bill and Basil jumped, then started laughing.

“You sure surprised us!” Bill said through laughs. I led them over to a seat next to mine, and they sat down. The people who weren't in the show, sat down in some empty chairs we found in the basement. Please let this go smoothly. My fingers were crossed.

The first people up, were Jimmy and Bella. They danced their beautiful piece, and  watched Bill’s and Basil’s eyes light up. It was like watching two young children getting ready to open up their first Christmas present.

Jimmy and Bella finished dancing, and headed off stage. A girl named Gabby was up next. She did a really cool dance thing with hula hoops. She balanced them on her nose while she danced around, and the chef’s dog flew through one of them.

A couple more acts went on, and I decided it was time for me to get ready for my song. I told Bill and Basil I was needed backstage, and they nodded. I walked backstage, and tried to find my guitar. I had chef put it backstage for me since I had to listen to auditions. But where had she put it?

“Hey, where did you put my guitar?” I asked ehr.

“I gave it to Michael,” She shrugged. I found Michael and asked him where he had put it. He said he gave it to Leslie. Leslie said she didn't get it from Michael, and that she hadn't even seen it.

This was great. I was on right after Angie, and she was on in ten minutes! Maybe I left it in my room. But my room was all the way across the hospital!

I had no time to lose. I raced down the hallways, hoping that some of them would start to look familiar. But they didn't. I was lost. But then I remembered that there were signs on what hallway and room numbers there were My room number was one hundred eighteen. We were at three hundred thirty six! I was never going to make it. Maybe if I sprinted the whole way I could. It was worth a shot.

I started sprinting down the hallway, looking at the numbers on the rooms as I passed. Only two more rooms to go...Yes! I did it! I was back in my room, and there was my guitar, right in my bed where I left it. I grabbed it and flew back out the door and to the cafeteria. Angie was just getting ready to go onstage. I'm glad I get to watch her like I promised.

She walks up to the microphone, and stars to sing. Bill and Basil both have their eyes closed, and are slightly swaying. I pull my camera I got from the gift shop to record her singing. Who know? She could be famous one day.

After she finished singing, I rushed backstage. I flipped my guitar strap over my head, and put my fingers on the starting chord. Then, I walked onto the lit stage.

My fingers were still in the same place as I cleared my throat. I walked up to the microphone, and I realized how small the stage was. I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to start singing. But no sound came out. Instead, the microphone screeched and everybody covered their ears. Well this was off to a great start.

I opened my my mouth to try again, and strummed a few chords on my guitar. Then, I sang. I sang the lullaby my mom and I used to sing together, and it sounded like she was too. Wait a second. I think she was! I could hear her. Her voice was pretty and angelic. I felt her hand on my shoulder as she sang with me.

We sang the peanut butter and jelly verse, and both of us laughed. I heard a male voice, and I stopped singing. The voice got louder, and I realized it was my dad’s. We all sang as one big happy family, with me in the middle of them. We harmonized, and even though the harmonies were different, we came together.

We finished the song, and the three of us bowed. The audience of course couldn't see them, but I could feel them. The swept me up into a hug, and I felt them leave me. But I knew they weren't truly gone.

I walked off stage, and because I was the last performer, everybody stood up clapping. We were getting a standing ovation! The boys that helped hang tinsel on the tree ushered me back onto stage, where everybody clapped even harder. Angie placed a big bouquet of flowers in my arms, then stood next to me. I waved over all of the other acts, and they all lined up onstage. We all grasped hands, then took a big bow. This certainly was a night to remember.

After everyone had left the stage, I stayed on it. I spoke into the microphone and said, “Bill and Basil, we just wanted you to know how much you mean to us. You’ve helped me through my stay here, and you have helped many other people as well. We put on this show to show you how much of an impact you have on people. And it’s not just you. It’s everybody. Thank you all for being a part of this, and helping those who need it the most. Merry Christmas!”

As I walked offstage, Bill and Basil met me at the bottom.

“That was a great show!” Basil gushed.

“How did you do it?” Bill asked.

“Jeremy’s and Bella’s costumes were brought in by their families, and we found the hula hoops in the basement. The stage was also in there too. I learned to play guitar in a day. I practiced in my room. It was really hard to keep it a secret from you guys, especially since you come to my room a lot.”

“No, I mean, how did you do it without any help from us or your family?” Bill asked.

“You guys are my family. And I had a lot of help.” I answered him. They smiled.

I asked Bill what time it was, and he said it was four forty-five. Oh my stars! We only had fifteen minutes to clean up before the owner came back! Everyone was bustling around, trying to get everything picked up. The stuff from the basement had to be brought back, but I couldn't lift the stage by myself. I needed chef’s help, just like when we were getting it set up. I could bring the chairs down, but I'd have to do it in several trips. I guess I'd better get a move on.

I walked over to the chairs the audience was sitting in and picked three or four of them up. I never remember them being circles. Huh, that was weird. I dragged them over through the doorway of the cafeteria and into the hallway.

The basement was only two floors down. Yippee. I turned right into the hallway and trted walking. Then I stopped. A man wearing a long tan coat was looking at one of the walls we painted. I couldn't read his expression but I hoped he liked it.

I started to walk past him, and he raised an eyebrow my way. “Young lady, can you tell me who painted this wall?”

“Well, everybody did, sir. This place needed a little cheer, and everybody always looks so grumpy around here. We thought this wall would cheer everybody up, especially around the holidays,” I answered.
    “Mm hm, I see. And nobody felt the need to tell me?” Why would anyone have to tell you? It’s not like he runs the pla--Ohhh.

I scratched my head. “You wouldn't happen to be the owner, would you?” He looked at me straight in the eye sand said, “No, I’m the Easter Bunny. Of course I’m the owner!” As if it was the most stupid question I had ever asked anybody.

Oh no. Would he fire Bill and Basil? I opened my mouth to defend them, and he put up a hand to stop me.

“I will not fire Bill or Basil, or any of the other staff that helped you. You should have asked my permission first,” he had a deep frown on his face. “I would’ve helped you,” his frown turned into a small smile. Who knew this grumpy guy could actually be a softie?

He turned back at the wall, and I continued to walk down the hallway. I heard him muttering about how the paint wasn’t neat and too colorful. Maybe softie was an understatement.

As I walked I thought about what my life was going to be like when I got back home. Would everyone be different? Would my friends at school be shy? What about the friends I made here? We’d still be friends, right?

I looked up, and I didn't realize that I was standing in front of the door that lead to the stairs to the basement. That was quick. I cracked open the rickety door, and it creaked slowly. Ok, totally not creepy at all. I took a deep breath. I came down here before the show. I could do it again. I walked forward onto the first step, and the chairs made a clunk sound. The stair creaked and sent a shudder down my spine.

It’s just your imagination, it’s just your imagination, I told myself over and over again. There’s nothing down here except for old chairs, rickety tables, a box of extra Christmas decorations, and a really creepy teddy bear sitting in a dusty corner. I shivered, seeing that the bear only had one eye. Who knows where the other one was? Probably in one of the other dusty corners.

There. I set the chairs down in an empty spot and quickly hurried up the stairs. I flew out of the basement, and shut the door.

As I was walking back to the cafeteria, I noticed the owner still standing in the same spot I left him. He was just staring at the wall, and as I looked closer, I saw a silent tear roll down his cheek. I went to stand next to him.

“It’s amazing, what you all did for everybody here. You really brought people together,” he said softly. We just stood there for a while, and looked at the wall. At my peanut butter and jelly lullaby, at the picture a little kid drew of her and I holding hands.

“What do you think that means?” the owner asked, gesturing to the verse in the lullaby about peanut butter and jelly.

“I’m not sure,” I answered truthfully.

“Well when you find out, make sure you tell me,” he patted me on the shoulder, and walked into the cafeteria. I kissed the tip of my finger, and touched it to the wall. I missed my parents, but they weren’t gone. Just like what I told Angie, they were always in my head, heart, and everywhere around me. I just had to believe and feel it.