/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Betwixt The Realms | KidPub Press //
Betwixt The Realms

Betwixt The Realms

Posted April 13th, 2015 by Gracithe1andonly

by Tía Snow
in denial that I'm in college

WARNINGS: Mention of nudity and mention of physical scars. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Finder;

If you have found these memoirs, odds are you are a friend of one of my friends, or a friend of my mother’s. If the latter applies to you or you have come by these memoirs through an accident, some explanation may be necessary.

My mother is from Reality and my father is from Fiction, granting me power over both and bereaving me of identification with either. My mother, Carrie Dougherty Thunder, fell from Reality into a place in the middle which she called ‘The Trap.’ Soon after arriving in the land between the two waterfalls that run over the Spheres of Reality and Fiction, she noticed that there was, in the waterfall that ran over Fiction, a door. Therein she saw nothing familiar, and resolved not to enter, lest she lose her way and never find her way back to her home, Phoenix. Yet she was no botanist, and though the Trap was green and lush because of the Water running over the Spheres, she dared not eat any of the plants she found there lest they be poisonous. Thus, she was driven by hunger through the Door and into Fiction. Therein, she met my father, Corin, and the great Lion, Aslan, to whose Order I now belong. My father’s people were kind to her and built for her a castle in the Trap. There, my mother and my father were wed by the Lion himself.

Only one year after their marriage, my father had to go home. The reason, we have never been told; but three days after he left, the Doorway no longer led to his world.

My mother mourned, but in this new world so many were lost and needed aid. So she aided them, and countless came to live in the Trap, which is still called that by those that live within it, but is called Middlepoint formally. Since Nelyafinwë, my guardian, insists on my being formal, I shall from now on refer to my home as Middlepoint.

Seven months after Corin’s departure, some fifty people lived in Middlepoint with my mother, my future guardian amongst them. It was now that I was born; and since the name Corin had wished to give to a daughter was Laleal, that became my name.

Of those fifty people living in Middlepoint with us, there were Seven boys who my mother had given special attention to. They were unlovable, and she loved them; beyond help, and she saved them. It is no wonder, then, that Nelyo, Kano, Turko, Moryo, Curvo, Telyo, and Pithyo were devoted to her. When she had me, Nelyo became my guardian; and YES, I am using the familiar shortenings of their names, so Nelyo can stop asking me to be so formal.

With these explanations, if the formal phrasing hasn’t bored you already, go forth and read!

Laleal Thunder

Post Scriptum: Apologies in advance for unreadable handwriting!

One of my earliest memories is of being four years old. Like I am now, I was curious and crafty, and I wanted to see all of Middlepoint, not just the castle. I slipped away from my mom and ran out the door of the castle. Nobody bothered to stop me, although Bean did raise an eyebrow.

I’m not sure how little me managed it, but I ran to the waterfall and the pool it made. It’s like the bathing pool over there, and everybody who doesn’t want to bathe in the kitchen and have everybody else see their private parts bathes there. Nelyo was bathing that day, and I fell into the pool. I remember coughing, and swallowing water, and then a strong hand lifting me up.

Why hand and not hands? Well, Nelyo is a very tall being who actaully actually isn’t human… He’s got really messy red hair, and he’s got a lot of scars. That’s really why he bathes in the pool; he knows his scars bother people. And he’s missing a hand, too. People are afraid of him sometimes, but I never was. I think it’s because he is my guardian and I know that he would never harm me.

So I remember Nelyo’s hand, and then crying on him from my scare. Then, somehow, Nelyo ended up letting me ride on his belly like he was a boat and churning the water with his feet like a… what’s the word… oh, yes! Motor. Like a motor.

I don’t think he knows I remember, but I do. That’s why when he tries to intimidate me into doing my schoolwork, it doesn’t work. I remember him ferrying me around the bathing pool, so I can never be intimidated.

Bean and I were once the best of friends. Well, frenemies. Bean would help me with my schoolwork and I would make sure nobody else made a hard time for him because he was little. Why can I do that? Because everybody in my house loves and respects my mother. She’s saved them and given them a home when they had none, and they love her for that. Because I'm Carrie's daughter, people often do what I say. I might actually be a little spoiled. 

Bean is something of a special case. My mother caught his spirit and gave it a body, and he was a child instead of the giant he had been when he died. He has not grown an inch since and is very put out about it. I think he isn’t really, I think being little is part of his character, and that’s why he turned out little when Mom gave him a body again.

So Bean and I help each other, but we also argue a lot. I was seven, and Bean was being, in my opinion, more mean about making my writing better than he needed to. I went to sleep thinking very mean thoughts about Bean.

Then, when I woke up, he was different.

He wasn’t the smart-aleck, ever helpful Bean we knew and loved, he was something else. Something smirking and more dangerous and more manipulative and less kind. We all hoped it wouldn’t last, but it did. We all held a council, and when I talked to Bean that day, I realized what had happened, and I cried while running to the council. I jumped on my mother and told her what had happened.

A lot of people were at the council, and they all made decisions that day. I told them we couldn’t kick Bean out of Middlepoint because it was my fault he was the way he was. That decision was made. A decision was made privately by Turko to kick him whenever he deserved it. Nelyo was the one who began calling him Delphiki. He said and I quote, “Bean is no longer our dear friend. We no longer deserve to call him, ‘Bean.’ That is his After-Name, given to him by someone dearer than sister, and his Chosen-Name, the name he calls himself. We shall call him by his less personal Father-Name, Delphiki, for this reason.”

You might’ve realized that Nelyo doesn’t know a lot about the difference between his naming system and the normal system, but his point still stands. I called Bean Delphiki because I can’t bring myself to call him Bean, and I’ve come to believe they are different people. I may be right.

If Nelyo is my Guardian, I am that to his brother Turko. Turko didn’t end up with his head quite right, and he sometimes goes and acts like an animal. And he also jumps on Dior.

I’m not sure what exactly happened (Nelyo doesn’t tell me) but I’ve heard something about Nelyo and his brothers killing Dior. Now, Dior is a really sweet man and he doesn’t deserve to be jumped on by a slightly insane animal person.

One day, Nelyo and I were walking together through the halls and we heard a crashing and a yell and something like a snarl. Nelyo and I exchanged faces that meant, “Oh dear, not again,” and ran to see.

I think Turko was biting the poor man-elf-hybrid-person. In any case, Nelyo pried him off of Dior and muttered, “Forgive us,” not meeting Dior’s eyes. I think he feels bad about what he did to Dior.

Anyway, Dior and Nelyo were talking, and I took one look at Turko and said, “Turkafinwë Tyelkormo!” That’s his full name. “You should be ashamed of yourself, Turko,” I scolded. “I thought you killed Dior, not the other way ‘round! If anybody should be jumping on anybody, he should be jumping on you!”

“But the jewel was our birthright!” Turko snarled. I looked confusedly at Nelyo, who turned around and said, “Cazetya lusta ná, winimo. Hush.”

Turko looked very insulted until Nelyo stared at him with those eyes of his. I think they were having a mental conversation, and in any case, Turko sighed and turned to Dior. “I regret my deed.”

“You are forgiven,” said Dior confusedly.

Turko stalked away, and Dior drifted away to talk to his mother and father, but Nelyo stayed beside me, shaking his head.

“Why can’t Turko and Dior be friends?” I asked.

“It is complicated,” Nelyo said. “It is very, very, complicated.”

He left it at that. 

What Nelyo said basically means, "You're being stupid, little boy." 

All these characters are from various stories. Laleal and her mom Carrie are my own invention, but Corin, Nelyo and his brothers and Dior, and Bean, all belong to C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, and Orson Scott Card, respectively. I do not claim to own them or the worlds they come from. 

I hope the fact this is a great big crossover didn't make it any less fun to read. 

Thanks. 

See more stories by Tía Snow