/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Burst #16: Falling Petals | KidPub Press //
Burst #16: Falling Petals

Burst #16: Falling Petals

Posted July 17th, 2013 by Cherrybomb

Cherrybomb's picture
by Cherrybomb
in debted

A/N: I know, there are a lot of unanswered questions scattered throughout this Burst, but yeah. :P Lots of little ends left untied, maybe you can imagine your own endings for them. ^_^'

The title seems like it doesn't relate at all to the story, so sorry since it's kinda misleading, but for me it relates to the story in certain ways(which are just not obvious at first, so. :P)

Unedited. (oh the horror...D:)

~~~~~~

“It’s alright…” she says, “Everything will be okay…”

“No it won’t,” I say, my voice shaking. “Amy, no, everything isn’t going to be okay. I’m going to die, you’re going to die, everyone—“

“Shhh…” she says, putting a finger on my lips. “Danielle, calm down.” She smiles reassuringly.

I can’t calm down, I can’t. I think of those cold green eyes staring me down from the shadows of my bedroom, watching me quietly. I think of the hoarse voice that plagues my dreams throughout the nights. I think of the body hanging from the stable’s ceiling…swishing…swishing…swishing…in tune to the deep tolling of the evening bell and my screams. Boom…Boom…Boom…

My brother.

Dead.

Death awaits…

I hear the memory of the voice again, and panic. I can smell the putrid flesh, feel the scratchy ropes around my neck…

“No, no, Amy, Amy, Amy—help me Amy—“ I whisper, my raspy voice out of place in the calm light meadow.

She doesn’t speak, only engulfs me in a sisterly hug, cradling my body in her arms. Somehow, it’s exactly what I need, and I blink back the tears, feeling relief in just being held and comforted.

“Shh, Danielle. It’ll be alright, don’t worry…” She blows away a strand of midnight-black hair out of my silver eyes, her minty fresh breath on my face, and smiles. She looks sad, but I don’t know why, and don’t bother to question it. I hug her tighter and bury myself into her shoulder.

“Hey, sis.” I say, my voice muffled in her shoulder. She sounds surprised, but says,

“Yes?”

“Thanksforbeingthere.” I mutter quickly, feeling almost embarrassed. She pauses, and then I feel her body shaking with laughter.

“Took you long enough,” She pulls back from me, and stares at me happily, looking almost hesitant. “Sis.”

We smile.

````````````````````````````````

“It’ll be alright, you know.” My friend Thompson looks over at me as we exit the courtyard.

“Yeah…” I say, quietly. Hesitantly, I look back at him and say, “But…could you come with me to the stables? J-just in case, I mean.”

He looks regretful. “Sorry Danielle, but I promised my mom I’d be home early today.”

My face falls. “Oh.” He notices the look of uncertainty on my face, and wraps one arm around my shoulder, smiling. It’s a very casual move, one I’m sure etiquette says he shouldn’t do in the castle grounds, but it seems like all he wants to do is comfort me and deal with etiquette later. I feel my heart warming.

“I’m sure that no one else will be hurt. Murders…the ones that happen here are usually isolated. Whoever did it probably will never do anything like it again, there’s too much risk of him being caught now.” He smiles at me in reassurance, I smile back at him, and we depart.

As I make my way back to the stables, I suddenly feel a cold tingle of dread, and walk slightly quicker in the cool evening air.

Death awaits…

I shudder at the recurring memory, and then pause, scared, as I hear panicked whickers from inside the stable.

I shake my head, and nervously laugh, though I approach the stable slower than I would have. They were probably happy whinnies, not panicked ones…It must be my imagination; my nerves are already high enough as it is.

I push open the stable door, the stench of hay billowing over me as my eyes struggle to adjust in the dark. And then I see it. The body.

It hangs just above me, twirling slowly on its rope as though performing some sort of final death ritual. Its golden blonde hair hangs curled over petite shoulders, its glassy blue eyes stare into nothingness, and a small painful smile waits on her tiny, sad looking face.

Amy.

My scream rings loudly in the darkness, piercing the night air, clashing with the noise of the frantic thuds of the horses struggling against their holds to escape from the evil of death.

All the while, I can hear the bells tolling in the distance, deep in warning.

Boom…Boom…Boom…

A week later, Thompson is the one who find my body, suspended above him in the stables as he struggles to contain his horror. The bells clang in a final, deafening cacophony of victory.

Boom...Boom…Boom…

The next night, the bells do not ring.

All is silent.

See more stories by Cherrybomb
Wow, that was awesome. Well,

Wow, that was awesome. Well, not awesome that everybody died, but awesomely written. XD

"I just look like I have to go to the bathroom whenever I dance." ~Lena on Tinychat

Posted by Tess for now. on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 19:47
Yeah, definitely not awesome

Yeah, definitely not awesome that everyone died, lol. XD Thanks, Tess! :D

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 10:13
/randomlywalksin/ I just

/randomlywalksin/ I just realized we joined on the same day. :D

/walksout/

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Inia on Thu, 07/25/2013 - 23:15
Awesome. I actually like

Awesome. I actually like leaving th untied ends, it adds a mystery factor and lets your mind wander. Very, very nice.

Posted by GrumpyHippo on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 20:50
Yes, that's true. :D Some

Yes, that's true. :D Some people find it frustrating though, so. XD Anyways, thanks, Ember! :D

(hey your username reminds me of the Ember series by Jeanne Duprau, have you ever read them? :))

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 10:15
no, but I'll have to try

no, but I'll have to try them out! I NEED some books to read.

Posted by GrumpyHippo on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 23:57
This is really good! I like

This is really good! I like it a lot!

Is it okay with you if I did a collection of "bursts" like this too? It wouldn't have the same title and I'd come up with my own ideas, but I really like this idea. But I wanted to ask before I did that so nothing happened. ;)

I'll sketch your characters! http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3546

Posted by Abbey on Wed, 07/17/2013 - 22:29
Thanks, Abbey! :D Yeah,

Thanks, Abbey! :D

Yeah, that's be find. :D Of course though, I'd like for you to title them differently, yeah. xD And could you maybe credit the idea to me in your first one? :) Up to you, though. :D

Thanks again! :)

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 10:16
I'll definitely do that.

I'll definitely do that. Thanks! :D

Posted by Abbey on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 11:00
Please never stop doing

Please never stop doing these Bursts! *_* This was just pure ah-mae-zing. Your writing style is really good combined with a unique idea. AFGHJKJ,LASDFGHJKL.  I must read more. MOARRR, I tell you, MOAAARR!!

"DON'T CALL ME SMALL! I'LL BREAK DOWN YOUR FEET AND STICK 'EM ON YOUR HEAD!" -Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist (Hey, that's me!)

Posted by Edward Elric {Jess} on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 08:14
Okey-dokey, I'll try to do

Okey-dokey, I'll try to do them for infinity and beyond. >:D XD

Aww, thank you so much, Jessica! :D I'll try to have another Burst up soon, but I can't be sure exactly when. ^_^

Thanks again, Jessica! :D

(hey is it alright with you if I called you Jess? :) Just wondering ^-^)

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 10:19
You're welcome! YAY! 8D

You're welcome! YAY! 8D Infinity and beyond sounds good. XD

(Sure! I don't mind. c: I go by both, so it's completely fine with me! :D You can call me whatever you wish. ^-^)

(*dances around and does the Burst chant*) Bursts! Bursts! Bursts! (*fist pump*) X^D Yaay, can't wait!! :3

Posted by JessicaK on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 12:13
I actually was not expecting

I actually was not expecting that ending. O_o But it was an awesome ending! Like story-wise, not the fact that they all died. n_n

That was really well written with mystery. I loved your description; it’s always so palpable, and tangy. :D The bells were a really nice touch. They reminded me of Danielle’s beating heart. :3

As usual, this was amazing! :DD I can’t wait for more of your fabulous writing!!

"NO STALKER GUESTS COME BACK YOU STILL NEED TO GIVE ME YOUR FRIGGIN WALLETS D:" --My partner in crime, Lilly Killy

Posted by Peppermint Memo... on Sun, 07/21/2013 - 13:58
Yay for twists! :D (even

Yay for twists! :D (even though mine isn't really one.) Yeah. XD

Well written with mystery? O_O I always thought I sucked when dealing with mystery. XD Thank you so much, Ellie! :D

Thanks again, Ellie! :D (by the way, hopefully I'll type up a poem soon, I have a vague idea for it so :D)

(ohmygosh Lena is so funny and awesome XDD nice sig :))

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Sun, 07/21/2013 - 14:05
i'm scared O_O this was

i'm scared O_O

this was beautiful, better comment to come

I'm just too scared. 

O_________________O

Posted by Butterscotch mo... on Sun, 07/21/2013 - 19:44
>:D *laughs

>:D *laughs evilly*

~~~Let it go....*~Burst~*~~~

Posted by Cherrybomb on Sun, 07/21/2013 - 23:00