/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Chapter 1 of Risk......Upside Down | KidPub Press //
Chapter 1 of Risk......Upside Down

Chapter 1 of Risk......Upside Down

Posted April 5th, 2018 by mischief

by Cherith
in In the woods. Getting in trouble with ritzy people

Smog hangs in the air like a gray old man. My bear feet slap against shattered cobblestone. What is that? Snickering? Chattering? Oh Lord, please not now! I pray silently. Darting a pile of broken glass I look over my shoulder. Little Jerry. A shiver of fear slivers down my back. What could he want with a fourteen year old girl, with a basket of wet clothes? " Well, look who we've got here! Sneares Jerry.

A boy of ten, with red hair and freckles. " Whach got in the basket Heather"? " Nothing to eat 'less you like cotton ". But, then Jerry isn't paying much attention to me. His eyes flicker to somone behind me. " You better slip, 'less you rather be swalling your teeth"! A deep voice threatnes behind me. Even though the threat is not made to me, the boy sends shivers down my back. He's Hitler's Youth boy. My worst nightmare. " Hey, Hey, I'm just havin a little fun"! Interjectes Jerry weakly. " I said git"! " I'll leave if you leave". A Jerry says. The boy eyes me carefully, waiting for Jerry to leave. But of course, Jerry won't leave until the boy leaves. Finally , the Hitler's Youth teen shrugs his heavy shoulders and walks away. Jerry does the same. Yet, another cold shiffer skipps down my back bone....what if they'd caught me? Don't don't cry! My mind pleads the little occupation in the basket. My shuddlers shutter with relief as the cottage comes into my vision. My hand shaking I knock on the thin door and run.

Jerry is my enemy... well, in the eyes of the Nazis. But really, were not at all! It's like a play, you know? To get the Nazis confused. It was miss Ten booms idea. I reckon I should tell you who and what were doing. Jerry and I are part of the Dutch Underground against Hitler. Jerry , is my cousin, we are living in Holland. Our life if always at danger. Excitement is always on our trails.

Half cooked potatoes sizzle in my firing pan. The smell can drive a person insane. No telling what the tast can do. My mother taught me to make some tasty potatoes. I hear the door slam Jerry comes in with the last of the fire wood. I scoop potatoes into our think wooden heavy plates. The fried 'tatoes and a wee loaf of bread is all we have for today.  As soon as super is over with Jerry leaves.

Little do I know that in the next twenty-four hours my life would be turned upside down. By the only friend and family I have....

See more stories by Cherith
I like your style of

I like your style of writing! It's quite unique with all the questions and short sentences. You use imagery well.

"I couldn't find a good quote from anyone, so I decided to make an inspiring one myself. I think I've failed at that." Arnav (me)

Posted by Arnav on Fri, 04/06/2018 - 08:24
Thank you!

Thank you!

Posted by Cherith on Sat, 04/07/2018 - 18:07