/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Chapter 8 | KidPub Press //

Posted November 28th, 2019 by DreamDragon13

by Katherine
in Nevada

I've never mentioned how I got the shadows before. I've never liked to think back on it. But realizing what the shadows had made me done, I realized I had to go back to the place where they had decided to use me as their host. I looked around my closet. I noticed my old worn green-grey messenger bag, and pulled it out. I also grabbed my navy blue jacket and put it on, zipping it up and letting the hood fall down. I put a first aid kit, a flashlight, a mysterious grey crystal, and an empty hydro flask in it. Slinging it over my shoulder, I walked downstairs. I grabbed a Post-it note and a pen, and scribbled out a quick note, setting it on the kitchen table. Sorry that I've been acting difficult for the past two weeks. I'm going to a friend's house for the night, and maybe even staying all day. I'll call you if I'm going to stay longer.

I walked out of the door, and through the neighborhood. I thought I saw Jacki and Hyeon talking on the corner, but I walked past, never showing them I was looking. I broke out into a run after I left the neighborhood, cars whizzing past me as I ran past joggers and cyclists on the sidewalk, ducking and weaving through the pedestrians, especially on Main Street. I finally reached the run down part of town, where the houses were broken down and falling apart and people were too concerned with surviving to pay attention to you unless you talked to them. I walked past that as well, towards the immeadiate stop of the town and the start of the forest.

I walked toward the long gate with a small scribbled "Keep Out" sign. A man called out to me, "Hey! The forest is blocked off for a reason! It's cursed!"

So am I, I thought. But instead I called out, "Do I look like I care?" The gate was more of warning than an actual attempt to block out people from going in the forest. I jumped over it easily, setting one hand on the top and vaulting over. The man shrugged, and knowing he had done his part, walked off. I ran towards the center of the forest. I was about halfway there, tracing my past steps, when something rustled in the bushes. I grabbed one of the items out of my bag, prepared to run or fight.

As the creature leapt from the bushes, I swung my hydro flask, and hit the... mutant bear bunny? on the head. The bear with the head and legs of a rabbit squeaked and ran off. I smiled at the hydro flask. Though it was empty, it was very heavy. I had it custom made with iron, of course. I put the hydro flask away and continued. I saw Fae flutter around, chatting to each other. I whistled a sweet tune, and they turned, saw me, and flew away, terrified. Very little sunlight passed through the thick canopy. The dead leaves and sticks crunched under my feet. I finally reached the grove, a perfect circle of grass, with no trees.

I could smell the faintest hint of dried blood. From almost five years ago.

I sat down and slipped into a vision of the past, hoping I could find the answer to my problems. 

See more stories by Katherine