/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Colors: REWRITE: Chapter Two | KidPub Press //
Colors: REWRITE: Chapter Two

Colors: REWRITE: Chapter Two

Posted January 3rd, 2019 by FrostBittenKitten

by starlight (luna)
in The heights

Chapter Two

“Iris, wait!” called a familiar voice, causing Iris to pause in her tracks, not far from the room the Rainbow Council met in.

“What?” Iris demanded, glaring as she turned around to see Beck looking apologetic.

“I’m sorry for letting them taunt you when everything is so recent,” Beck admitted, speaking at a louder volume than he had earlier (though still not as loud as Iris’s own regular speaking volume).  

“You could have done something to stop it,” Iris snapped, cold as ice.

“I’m as powerless as you are in there,” Beck whined.  “I may know more about politics than you, and be more prepared to lead my people than you are, but I’m still young and inexperienced.  They’re like vultures, picking everyone apart until either you end up a shell of a person, bent to their will, or just as bad as they are.”  He sighed. “If I tried to say something, then it’d be both of us they were targeting.”

“At least I wouldn’t be alone,” Iris rebutted.  

“I don’t think you get it,” Beck said with a sigh.  “One of us as their target is better than both of us.  Besides, I’m not really in much a mood to help you right now, seeing as you can’t part with your stupid conspiracy theories long enough to let anyone talk to you.”  He glared at her.

“They’re not stupid!” Iris cried, anger still churning in her gut.  “Whatever. See you at the next meeting.” She started walking again, briskly.

“Iris!” Beck called, not moving.  She ignored him. “Iris!” She walked even faster.  “Fine. Let them pummel you into submission next time, see if I care.”  Before long, she turned the corner out of the hallway and walked out of the building.

The rain was pouring down, the sky a miserable cloudy gray.  Iris happened to love the rain, and not just because witches were known for their gloom and doom.  It was a renewal, and it felt good on her skin. The sun was burning hot and made Iris think of the Kingdom of Red with its tropical temperatures and stifling humidity.

Iris held out her hands in front of her, the runes she had painted on her wrists glowing an indigo color.  She had used her powers to make the runes permanent, which in turn heightened her powers. She wondered why more witches didn’t do it.  She was getting distracted, and distractions were the worst for transportation spells.

“Hasuno jimalki okimimi,” she chanted.  Most witches used old Cryum spells, as they descended from the original Cryum people.  Every time Iris cast a spell, she could feel her ancestors around her, guiding her. The people of Indigo were big on ancestors and family.

Iris felt a wind envelope her as the spell took effect.  The next thing she knew, she was standing inside her room in the Indigo Castle.  It was laced with protective spells so that she was only one who could transport herself directly to her room.

What was she going to do?  The other members of the Council obviously hated her, and she wondered what had driven them all to be so vicious.  They were like a pack of wolves, which was a good metaphor, considering Lila was a werewolf. She was every bit as aggressive as the stereotype went.  And Amber was every bit as annoying as the stereotype for light elves was. They lived in what was perhaps the most coveted territory, with all of the celebrities and amusement parks and famous spots.  Indigo had nothing of that nature. But it wasn’t like it mattered.

What did matter was what she was going to say to her people.  It had to reassure them that she was going to be a good leader and simultaneously show people they shouldn’t fear because of her family’s deaths.

Iris sighed.  She missed her older brother, despite the constant arguing.  He was so much more ready to become king than she ever would be to be queen.  Ash would know what to do. Her parents would know what to do. It even seemed like Beck knew what to do.  Why had she wasted so much time practicing and making spells when she should have been studying politics? This was never supposed to happen.  She was supposed to become the best witch of her time while Ash handled all of the heavy stuff. She didn’t know the first thing about being queen!

She thought briefly about contacting someone.  But who? Beck was probably annoyed with her, Scarlet and Lila both clearly didn’t like her, she despised Amber and his obnoxious way of thinking everything was a joke, Julianne would probably hear about the way Iris had insulted her, and her friend Nathan didn’t know the first thing about politics.  That left one person. Cole.

This was definitely a bad idea.  If anyone had secret connections to the Realm of Shadows, it was him.  Iris shook it off. That was probably just a stereotype. Being a demon didn’t make someone evil any more than being a light elf made someone good.  Amber was a perfect example of that (or maybe Iris was just being offended by his inane sense of humor).

She took a deep breath and uttered the speaking spell.  Sure, she could call him, but where was the fun in that?  Besides, then she couldn’t see his face, and Iris hated FaceTime.

As an image of his face materialized in front of her, Cole didn’t look surprised in the least.  “Iris Indigo,” he said, looking unfazed from his fight with Julianne, which Iris was assuming was over now.

“Cole Orange,” she replied.  Cole made a face.

“I hate when people use my full name,” he replied.  “Call me Cole.” His dark hair looked windblown (it always managed to look just the right amount windblown to be attractive), and his eyes were constantly shifting between colors, so one could never quite tell what color they were.  His skin was much darker than Iris’s pale ivory.

“Okay,” she agreed.  “Cole.” He looked at her, unmoved.  

“I’m assuming you called me for help on running your kingdom,” he said, getting straight to the point.  Seeing Iris’s slightly shocked expression, he laughed. “I’m not stupid, Iris. We all know you need help talking to your subjects.”

“Excuse me, I’m perfectly capable of talking to the people of Indigo,” she replied defensively.

“I’m sure you are,” Cole said with a condescending smirk.  “I bet that is exactly why you called me. Because you’re so mature and capable.”

“Could you stop insulting me for one moment and help me not make this a disaster?” Iris complained, her desperation showing through.

“I suppose,” Cole said, looking bored already.  Iris’s face flamed. He had the audacity to act bored!  “Since I’ve been around the block a few times, I guess I’ll help out a neophyte in such desperate need of intervention.”  Iris rolled her eyes.

“Thank you; I get it,” she quipped.

“Besides, you calling Julianne a Grisi sounds funny; wish I would’ve been there.”

Iris sighed.  Of course he had heard about that.  Was she ever going to do something right?

See more stories by starlight (luna)
I'm undecided on whether I

I'm undecided on whether I like Cole or not but I like this chapter!!

Posted by echo (*Jill*) on Fri, 01/04/2019 - 02:52
Thanks! :)   Please read:
Posted by starlight (luna) on Fri, 01/04/2019 - 14:19
I got lost in colors so it's

I got lost in colors so it's good I can catch up now!  Keep it up!  Are you going to continue the plot like last time, where (do not read white if you ddin't read colors last time) Iris gets kicked out of the Rainbow Council for not being a rainbow color anymore or are you going in a whole new direction?  Can't wait to find out!

Posted by indygoes (kayla) on Sat, 01/05/2019 - 20:35
I'm keeping the backbone of

I'm keeping the backbone of the story (such as most of the major plot points, the core of the Kingdoms, and the whole Colors vs. Shadows thing) intact, but I'm changing a lot of other aspects!  As for if that'll be the same, you'll just have to find out! ;)

Posted by starlight (luna) on Sat, 01/05/2019 - 21:05