/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Curse of the Berry Chapter 1 | KidPub Press //
The Curse of the Berry Chapter 1

The Curse of the Berry Chapter 1

Posted July 28th, 2018 by chicken123

Chapter 1 The Letter

Jenna sighed. She was sitting in her English class, anxiously waiting for summer to finally begin. It was the last day of school, and there was exactly 15 minutes and 53 seconds left of it. 52, 51, 50, 49… Jenna counted in her head. She didn't even hear what Ms. Bell was saying about the memoir that was due at the end of the day. All she could think about, was how much fun she was going to have with her two best friends, Nick and Stacey. She was also taking Lifeguarding lessons at a swimming club, and she had to take her driving test the week after school ended.

Jenna glanced up at the clock above the classroom door. Five minutes left. She looked around the room, and saw that everybody else was fidgeting in their seats to turn and look at the clock. She glanced at Stacey, who was twirling a pencil around in her left hand.when she saw jenna looking at her, she stopped twirling her pencil, and smiled. Then, she bent over her desk, wrote a note on her favorite whale-printed paper, and making sure Ms. bell didn't notice, threw it to Jenna. The note said in Stacey’s neat handwriting,This summer’s going to be awesome! Look at how bored Nick is.” Jenna turned around in her seat to look at Nick, and saw that he was staring at the ceiling with his left leg bouncing up and down, and his mouth slightly open. Jenna had to stifle a giggle.

Just then, the bell rang. She barely heard Ms. Bell say, “Have a good summer!” as she put her finished memoir about her grandma in the white basket, and sprinted out the door to freedom.

Jenna had just put all of her stuff  from her locker into her backpack, and was about to shut the door, when she saw a folded piece of paper wedged in it. Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, she reached for the paper. As she was unfolding it, she realized it was the same whale-printed paper that Stacey had. Weird. Jenna thought. Shrugging, she read the paper. She had to squint to read the tiny print. It said,

“Beware the berry

That is blue

Or you will suffer

Your friends too

Follow my instructions

To keep you from harm

The first one being

Stay away from the barn

Think before you act

I won’t always have your back

Though I am small

I will not easily fall

My third instruction

is most important of all

Use no magic

Or your fate will be tragic

I have warned you

Choose to listen or not

But if you don’t 

You will die and rot.”  

Jeesh. Jenna thought. She shivered. Apparently whoever wrote this warning  was very concerned about her. And magic? What magic?

“What are you reading?” Stacey walked up from behind Jenna, startling her out of her thoughts.

“Nothing.” Jenna folded the piece of paper back up, and stuck it in her back pocket. Stacey gave her a puzzling look and turned away.

“Hey! Why don’t we go out and celebrate the start of summer later?” Jenna suggested.

“Sure! I’ll ask Nick if he wants to come with us, too. Maybe we could go to that new restaurant down the road?  I heard that it used to be a barn.” Jenna’s stomach did a flip-flop. Stay away from the barn. Stay away from the barn. That sentence from the letter kept replaying itself in Jenna’s mind.

“Uh, why don’t we go somewhere else?” She asked earnestly.

“Nothing else is close to where we live.” Stacey said stubbornly. Jenna sighed. I guess I’m going to die and rot. She thought miserably.

Taking Jenna’s hand, Stacey ran to Nick’s locker to tell him about their plans for later that night. Please say you can’t go. Please say you can't go. “Yeah, I can go.” Oh no.

I like the paper and how it

I like the paper and how it rhymes on it. Mysterious.

Overall you did well!

_____________________________________________________________

<(QuartzMaster)>

Read my books!!!! :D

Posted by QuartzMaster on Sun, 07/29/2018 - 14:20