/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Curse of the Berry Chapter 2 | KidPub Press //
The Curse of the Berry Chapter 2

The Curse of the Berry Chapter 2

Posted July 28th, 2018 by chicken123

Chapter 2 The Barn

Jenna was sitting on her bed, trying to decide what outfit she was going to wear to the restaurant with Nick and Stacey. She had three outfits to choose from. One was a green t-shirt and cutoffs, one was a dark blue short sleeve dress with three white buttons on the front, and the last one was a red shirt and jean skirt. She chose the green shirt and cutoffs. After she put them on, she put her shoulder length brown hair into a french braid. Jenna thought the green shirt would match her green eyes and bring out the light sprinkle of freckles across your nose, because they were fading from not being in the sun that much. After she got dressed, she put on her favorite necklace that she got from her grandma; An opal inside a silver star. Then she put on a few silver bracelets, silver studs, pink lip gloss, and her faded black tennis shoes. Deciding she was ready, she walked out of her bedroom, down the hall, and into the kitchen where her mom was.

“You look nice,” Jenna's mom said.

“Thanks,” Jenna replied. ”Do you have enough money?” Jenna's mom asked.

“Yep I think so,” she replied. And kissing her mom on the cheek she stepped outside to wait for Stacey. As she waited, she thought about the weird letter she got earlier. And what was the blue berry It had warned her about? Was it actually a blueberry? Was the letter really a prank from someone at school?

”Hey!” Stacey yelled, startling Jenna out of her thoughts. “Hi,” Jenna said back.

“Ready to go?”

“Sure.” As they were walking, Jenna started to get worried. Am I actually going to die? She wondered. All of a sudden, She grabbed Stacey's arm. “I really don't think it's a good idea. Eating at the restaurant, I mean.”

“Why not?” Stacey asked.

“I just don't think it's a good idea,” Jenna that her lip and turned away. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Stacey eyeing her skeptically. She then decided not to tell Nick or Stacey about the letter.

“Well, there's no other place close by, I told my parents we were going there, and I've been dying to go since it opened.” Stacey said stubbornly. “Please?” She asked with puppy dog eyes. Jenna sighed for about the hundredth time that day. And how could she say no to that face? “Fine,” she finally answered. It's not like she could tell Stacey that she was going to die if she went there. “You look great,” she said to Stacey. She was wearing a frilly, blue, short-sleeved shirt and cutoffs. Her shirt brought  out her big, blue, eyes, and her blonde hair was in a french braid with a white ribbon on the end. She was wearing the same black tennis shoes as Jenna. "Thanks, you too.no matter how many times I see that necklace of yours, I always think it is the prettiest thing!" she gushed. Jenna chuckled. She opened her mouth to reply, when Nick came running down the street, calling their names. part of his red and white checkered shirt was untucked,his shaggy black hair that usually hung over his eyes was a mess, but his emerald-green eyes were sparkling, his smile couldn't get any wider, and the dimple in his left cheek was visible. "Hey guys!" He panted.

"What took you so long?" Stacey demanded.

"My mom." he shook his head.

"Oh," she said knowingly. It seems like every time the three of them went out together, their mom's would make them take longer the leave. "You look nice," he said to Jenna.

"Thanks," she answered. There was an awkward silence.“Well let's get going!” Stacey said, trying to break the awkward silence. Jenna tried to stall as much as possible in the way there. She walked slowly, dragged her feet, fell on her face a few times, and even tried to run away, but Stacey saw her. Every berry bush they passed on the way there-whether it was blueberries or not- she avoided.

When they arrived outside of the restaurant, Jenna’s stomach was doing flip flops. Jenna eventually trudged in. What’s the worst that could happen?” she thought. Then she sucked in her breath. The place looked amazing! The old stalls were now booths, and there are tables in the middle of the barn too. There are tiny white lights making a canopy over the room, and up in the loft, where there are a few tables and booths as well. It looked so beautiful, that she almost forgot about the letter. Almost.

“How can I help you?” A waitress asked cheerfully. “Oh, uh, table for three, please.” Stacey said. She was grinning. Apparently she thought the place looked great, too. Nick was looking around, staring at  everything with his eyes wide. The waitress led them to a booth in the far back corner, and Jenna saw that her name tag read Beth. “Thanks,” Jenna smiled at her. Beth smiled back, and hurried to another table waving her over.

“What are you going to get Jenna? Jenna?” Stacey asked.

“What? Oh, I think I’ll get a sundae.” she replied. But with no berries, of course, she added to herself. “What about you?”

“I think I’ll get a sundae, too,” Stacey answered.

“Me too,” Nick said. Pretty soon, Beth was back at their table, reasdy to take their orders. They all got vanilla sundaes with hot fudge on the top, but Nick got a cherry on his, Stacey got a strawberry on hers, and Jenna got no berry. Beth looked straight at Jenna when she ordered, and had a mysterious twinkle in her eye when she said no berry on top. The twinkle was gone just as quick as it appeared. Jenna started. Then she shook her head. She was probably just seeing thuings after the hectic day she’s had.

“You good?’ Stacey asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Jenna answered.

“What’s going on with you? I know you’ve been dying to go here since it opened, and then you didn't want to come. I know you were stalling on the way, and you’ve seemed kind of distant and quiet. I know something’s wrong, because you're never quiet. Are you mad at Nick and I?”

“I--” Jenna started to say. Should I tell Nick and Stacey about the letter? Jenna wondered. She bit her lip nervously. Well, here goes nothing.

“Did you right me that letter?” she blurted.

“What letter?” Stacey asked confused.

“The warning? About the ‘berry that is blue.’”

“Mm, nope.”

“Well it was written on your whale paper.”

“Well it wasn’t me. And what was the warning even about?”

“I don’t know, maybe about a ‘berry that is blue.’” Nick suggested sarcastically. Stacey and Jenna both jumped. They had both forgotten that he was there.

“Then who wrote it?” Jenna wondered out loud.

“Wrote what!?” Stacey yelled. Jenna exhaled, not realizing she had been holding her breath the whole time, or that their voices had gotten steadily louder throughout their conversation. Jenna looked around the restaurant, and saw that everyone was staring right back at them. She smiled apologetically, and turned back to Nick and Stacey, who had both looked confused. Jenna took a few deep breaths, and began her story.

Nice! Mysteries are berry

Nice! Mysteries are berry much my taste! I like it how you describe the characters so well! And am curious! By the way how old are you?

Posted by Cherith on Sun, 08/19/2018 - 15:24