/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Cursed:Hidden | KidPub Press //
Cursed:Hidden

Cursed:Hidden

Posted March 17th, 2017 by kltippett

by Keira;)
in Florida

Hi! So I wrote this a while ago, never finished the series :( and I probably never will, (but maybe I will, you can never tell with me XD) I am just putting this out there because I haven't written anything in so long. Anyway hope u like it! Thx for reading! There might be some random mistakes too, because I was in the process of editing and I don't think I finished Lol! Anyway enjoy! 

Cursed

Hidden

Chapter 1:

Pain shot up my through my leg. I sat up blindly, just awakening from a drowning sleep. I reached for Danger, my trusty dagger. My hand closed around empty space. Therefore, I did the only thing  that my drowsy brain could think of.  I sent a flying fist towards my attacker, thinking maybe I could catch them off guard.   

“Owww! Rowan! It’s just me, Douglas.”

My brain finally came to it’s senses, and I peeled my eyes open. The sun blared, blinding me for a moment. When my eyes finally adjusted I saw my friend Douglas holding his arm, and staring at me like I had gone mad, and  I might have.

“Sorry Dug. I thought we were being attacked.” I said, telling a crazy truth, but hearing it as an obvious lie.  

Douglas’ stare didn’t soften, and I didn’t blame him. I just punched him in the arm, for no reason at all.

“What in the Three Kingdoms made you think we were being attacked?!” Said Douglas, who obviously suspected my crazy truth.crazy truth.

I lowered my head, which was a gesture of respect, and surrender. I had been extra tense, and alert the past few days, which just lead to more incidents of me hurting Dug, who obviously had had enough of it, but there was reasons behind my useless cautiousness, and random outbursts of punching.

“I’m sorry Dug. I have been feeling off lately……..” I wanted to continue, but I couldn’t. There wasn’t a way to explain the strange tension that I had in my bones the last few days. It was the feeling that something bad was going to happen, and when I got this feeling, I tended to be watchful, and suspicious. A little too suspicious.

Dug’s features relaxed, knowing exactly what I meant, and forgiving me immediately. He was such a good friend. A companion to a curse. I am a curse. I have been one for as long as I remember. It’s the life ruining truth. Like my mom always used to say. “Sometimes pretty things aren’t true and true things aren’t pretty,but we must always stick to the truth, otherwise, we hang on to a lie.”  

“I packed up your things for you, and I found a few spare coins under the bridge. I think we have just enough for two apples.” Dug was grinning wide as he showed me the coins, and I smiled too. Both him and I hadn’t eaten in a few days.

Here’s another sad truth. Both of us are homeless, we met up when we were 9, and we helped each other ever since. I’ve told him time and time again that I am a curse and that he should just leave me to die; but everytime I said that, he would laugh, and say that I was speaking nonsense, but even my history proves that me being a curse, is not nonsense.

“I’ll get the apples. Watch our stuff.” I said as I grabbed my beloved dagger, which Dug had put next to my packed bag.  

“Don’t get caught out there Rowan. Last thing we need is Bane’s soldiers on our tails.” Dug held a reign of seriousness as he said this, and in his words lied deep truth. If I was seen by any of the three kings soldiers  I was dead meat. Correction, I was deader than dead meat.

I snatched the coins from Dug’s hand, and laughed. “If  any soldiers get near me, I’ll kick their butts across their 3 lame kingdoms.”  

Dug laughed at my stupid  statement, that would have got me imprisoned if anyone heard it, I smiled to myself. Completely unaware that the soldiers would be the ones kicking my butt really soon.

“That will be ten coins please.” said the poor old man at the apple stand. I counted the coins. There was only 8. Then I checked the sign.

4 cents an apple

Anger ensnared my next words. “What?! Are you trying to cheat two cents out of me? I am not just some dumb boy that wanders the streets.” That is exactly what you are, a dumb curse that wanders the street said the snoddy voice in my head; making me even more angry. I reached for the pendant that hung around my neck, forgetting that  it was the one thing that would give me away. When I pulled it out from under my shirt the old man’s eyes went wide. “ The Curse!” He screeched, backing away slowly. At first I wanted to apologize for scaring the old man, but my hunger reminded me of what else I could do.  

“Yes! I am the curse! Give me some apples, and I will leave you be.” I puffed my chest out as far as it would go, which wasn’t very far, and I crossed my arms, trying to look tough,  but knowing, that I probably looked like a snoddy street kid.

The old man shuddered, anyway.

“Take as many as you want! Just don’t touch me!”

I smiled wide, and grabbed four apples, then grabbed another two. I walked away with a smile on my face, but I felt that painful twinge of guilt in the back of my heart, telling me that my mom would have frowned on me for scaring the man, and stealing from him.

I walked across the street and down under the bridge, where me and Dug were camped. The little bridge provided a good covering for rain, and from the eyes of the soldiers. I had told Dug my thoughts about making this our permanat home, but he reminded  me that in order to stay hidden and far away from soldiers, we had to be nomads.

“I have had enough of your rambling, boy. Tell me where the curse has gone!”

“ Oh that’s simple, he went that way.”

“Give us details!”

“Details? What do you think I am? His slave master? All I know is that he went that way.”

“I have had enough.”

“I know.”

I gasped, and instantly tried to stop myself, which made a very strange sound, and unfortunately got the soldier’s attention.

“What was that?” rasped the leader, whose gaze traveled straight toward me.

“Sounded like a dying chicken.” said Dug.

“Enough of your jokes!” Said the leader. Who focused his attention back on Dug.  

I risked a peek through the bushes. At least 10 armed soldiers stood around my friend, the leader held a sword to Dug’s throat. I looked at Dug’s expression. He didn’t look terrified but he didn't look all that happy either. He looked expressionless. He is doing that so you don’t get caught Rowan! Run away now, and don’t waste your friend’s sacrifice.

I can’t leave Dug.

But you must

I can’t

You must

I can’t

“Search the town, if you find the Curse, bring him to me, Lord Albion, wants him alive.”

You must

I looked back once again, but took off down the street, tears threatened to spill all over my face. I closed my eyes, forcing them back. You can go back and save him, but right now you need to get away. If you die then nobody will save Dug. That got me running. I ran as fast as my feet could take me, which was pretty fast, considering how skinny and starved I was.

“There he is!”

Soldiers to my left and right charged right towards me. I  took a sharp turn left, then right, and left again, hoping to loose them .  Dead end.

See more stories by Keira;)
Nice!! Good job

Nice!! Good job Keira!

_____________________________________________________________

<(QuartzMaster A.K.A. Osaid)> Read my books!!!! :D

Posted by Quartz on Fri, 03/17/2017 - 20:11
Skillssss! Great job, I'm

Skillssss! Great job, I'm pretty happy I stumbled across this. :)

Sentences that stood out to me: My brain finally came to it’s senses, and I peeled my eyes open.

Correction, I was deader than dead meat.

Sometimes pretty things aren’t true and true things aren’t pretty,but we must always stick to the truth, otherwise, we hang on to a lie.

Keep up the awesome work, Keira!

Posted by AuthorMind(Justin) on Sat, 03/18/2017 - 14:21
Keira:) Thanks Y'all!

Keira:)
Thanks Y'all!

Posted by Keira :) on Sat, 03/18/2017 - 17:48