/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Elevating Eleven (Chapter 1) - If you read this, please take the time to CC | KidPub Press //
Elevating Eleven (Chapter 1) - If you read this, please take the time to CC

Posted July 10th, 2017 by YoungAuthor

YoungAuthor's picture
by Elora
in Looking for some good books

“No, I doubt it,” I said. There hadn’t been any lack of heirs for decades now, and I didn’t think they were going to start now. Besides, we had a leader at the moment, and her husband and daughter were ready to take her place if anything happened. Our country had us covered. “I mean, think about it. Something crazy would have to happen to have another- you know. I mean, come on, I don’t even remember what it’s called! Who even knows if it ever actually happened. It’s been too long,” I said.

“You never know,” my brother said, waving his hands, trying to freak me out. It wasn’t going to work. Unlike him, I could actually rationalize a situation. I rolled my eyes.

“Just pass me the salt now would ya?” I asked.

“Grab it yourself,” he said.

“I’m telling mom about your behavior later,” I said. Our parents wouldn’t be in the house until much later, as they were still out working at the factory.

“Go right ahead,” he said and continued to eat his food. I grabbed the salt a bit violently and sent salt skittering over the table. My brother laughed and out of frustration, I dumped a bit of salt on his salad.

“Hey! Stop!” he said. I smirked at him. I waited a moment for him to cool down.

“What made you think about that anyways?” He waited to answer me.

“The Elevating Eleven?” he said doing jazz hands. I smacked his hand down.

“Stop being stupid,” I said, and then gave him a look that meant I wanted him to go on.

“I don’t know,” he said, sighing, “I was just thinking about your birthday coming up tomorrow and I remembered the story. I just thought it was weird that people like… as small- er, young as you could be our next leader.” I smacked his hand again, and he secretly massaged it under the table. Yeah right, like I had hit him that hard. Wimp. “Stop being so violent,” he whined.

“Like I said, I highly doubt it would ever happen,” I said, “It’s been too long.”

The Elevating Eleven was our parents’ favorite story to tell. It’s been passed down for generations and things don’t quite make sense anymore, but it’s a good story nonetheless. According to the legend, about 100 or 150 years ago, eleven kids in their teens suddenly disappeared the day after the king was killed. The town was in chaos. There were theories that the king had ran away somewhere with the kids. There were theories there had been a mass attack on the kingdom and that the kids were stolen for future ransom. Nobody knew what to do. Not only had their children disappeared, but they had no leader to help them through their time of crisis. They were missing for over a year. The families of the town had begun to give up. Many had given up searching for them long ago.

Then one day, out of the blue, one of the missing children returned. They informed the town that the other ten children were not coming back. The one who survived became leader, as everyone felt that due to her survival, she was most fit for the job. Or in other words, survival of the fittest. She didn’t give many details, and whatever details she did give away stayed a secret with the families. My family wasn’t related to anyone who had disappeared since we moved here later on.

Did the people of the town really not think to elect anyone else as leader in that time frame? They all disappeared when they were teens. Which means she could have possibly been fourteen. Fourteen! They had people in that town who were probably far more capable of dealing with an entire town. Most of the population of the town was probably older than her at the time. It was ridiculous. If I had lived back then, I know at least one vote would be against her.

When I was laying in bed that night, it took me a while to fall asleep. I couldn’t stop thinking about the kids, and what had happened to him. It would have been nice if my brother hadn’t brought it up. I was turning thirteen tomorrow. Which means, if I had lived back then, I could have been one of those children. I shuddered. What happened to them? I paused for a moment. What’s wrong with me? It’s just a myth and I know it. Who knows how many times that story has been twisted. Yeah, definitely no chance of anything like that happening to me.

See more stories by Elora
Nice! I wonder were those

Nice! I wonder were those kids went, why did only one come back?

Posted by wildcat on Tue, 07/11/2017 - 10:28
I really like this! I'll

I really like this! I'll definitely try to follow (I haven't been active on here in a long time). The sibling interactions were believable and the story about the children was really interesting. One thing I would change is the paragraph beginning with "Honestly, though, it didn't make sense to me." Most of the speculations the narrator is having in this paragraph are things the reader is already thinking to themselves, so it's more mysterious (in my opinion) to leave the story free-standing. But I love the line in that paragraph about one less person voting for her and that alone is a powerful way of showing the narrator's skepticism. Please continue!!

JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!!! ………………………. after this short commercial break.

Posted by Augusta on Tue, 07/11/2017 - 21:07
Thanks so much! Both of you!

Thanks so much! Both of you! I'm glad the sibling relationships were believable (it doesn't always seem like it to me). I haven't really been active lately either. 

Posted by Elora on Wed, 07/12/2017 - 12:06
Cool story!!!  The

Cool story!!! yes The characters are defienetly beleivable, and you have a great backgroundstory. You made me want to keep reading, and I am going to continue reading more chapters. However, the start was confusing to me because it felt like it started in the middle of a conversation, but wasn't enough to tell me what they had been talking about. 

Posted by Meowing (Emily) on Wed, 07/12/2017 - 21:37
Thanks for the comment. I

Thanks for the comment. I was a bit worried about it being confusing. I might have to change that a bit. Glad you like the story! :)

Posted by Elora on Thu, 07/13/2017 - 11:57
Of course! 

Of course! 

Posted by Meowing (Emily) on Thu, 07/13/2017 - 12:04
Interesting! I wonder

Interesting! I wonder what'll happen next? Her brother s an intereting character.

__________ 

“There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you.” - Beatrix Potter

Posted by Hey_its_Alem! on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 20:18