/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Elevating Eleven (Chapter 2) | KidPub Press //
Elevating Eleven (Chapter 2)

Elevating Eleven (Chapter 2)

Posted July 12th, 2017 by YoungAuthor

YoungAuthor's picture
by Elora
in Looking for some good books

Note: I'm sorry about the confusing dialogue in this chapter. It's hard to introduce so many people in one chapter, so I simply didn't. Hopefully it will be clearer later on.

When I woke up the next morning, the sounds of the local birds were a lot louder than I remembered. Something hard slammed into my ribs and I jumped up.

“What on Earth?” I yelled. I hadn’t even opened my eyes yet. When I opened my eyes it took me a moment to adjust to the light. I heard a shout. Feminine. It was definitely not my mothers, and probably not my brothers. There were trees. Trees! I moved my hand around on the ground and hit a rock. It must have been what had hit me. The grass was wet and my pajamas were soaked. “Maree?” I shouted. We hadn’t had a pranking war in a while, but if this was his doing, I was going to get him good. “Maree? This is ridiculous!” How did he even get me out here without me waking up?

I looked around at my surroundings again and froze still. There were people. One boy was awake and staring at me, as frozen as I was, and the others were asleep on the grass. One girl laid with her arms wrapped around a tree, her head resting on the roots. What was going on? I stood up. Some of the others were starting to stir. Probably because of all my yelling. I watched as they grew looks of surprise on their face that I must have had when I woke up.

There was nothing. Only trees for as far as I could see, and dew covered grass. The sun was bright, but it thankfully wasn’t too hot outside. Nobody was talking to each other. I think we were all to scared to say anything. Or we were too shocked. I don’t think we knew to be scared yet.

In order to try and figure out what happened, I searched my memories. I couldn’t remember waking up in the middle of the night and I was absolutely certain that I had fallen asleep in my bed as normal. I was wearing the pajamas I had put on the night before. Then I remembered my conversation with my brother.

“Oh shoot,” I said aloud, breaking the silence, and then I laughed. I had thought nothing like that would ever happen to me. Everyone looked over at me. I counted the number of kids. Eleven. “The Elevating Eleven,” I whispered. I didn’t need to say it twice. I saw what I had sink in. A couple of them started crying. Some looked as though they had shut down. Their face becoming plain. A few somehow looked even more shocked than they had when they woke up.

“What are we going to do?” said one of the plain-faced people. I didn’t recognize anyone.

“Is this a joke? Who’s playing this joke on me? Which one of you is it?” A boy exclaimed, standing up. He was about a foot taller than me. I felt myself shrink down.

“Well, it’s not me, that’s for sure,” I said. The others nodded.

“I thought this was a myth,” a younger girl said. She had long blond hair in messy braids. “My name is Caprice, by the way.” No one else bothered to give up their own names.

“I thought so too,” another kid said.

“Well it’s obviously not, so shut up,” on older boy with bloodshot eyes. Everyone began to join in the conversation after that.

“Stop arguing, we really need to figure out what’s going on.”

“We should split up and find other people. Or food.”

“Yeah, I’m really hungry.”

“We absolutely should not split up,” I said, and to my surprise, they listened. “Maybe that’s how the other ten... Died.” I felt a shudder go through everyone when I said those words. I didn’t need to elaborate on the old story.

“It’s a prank,” someone said.

“Is it?” I ask. “Did anyone else wake up when coming here?”

“I woke up in the middle of the night,” Caprice said, “but I was still in bed. I have no idea how they did it.”

“The question is: who is ‘they’?” I said. More silence.

“I still think we should split up and run as fast as we can to see if there are any surrounding areas by nightfall. If anyone finds a city, they can yell out and we’ll come running. Then we can figure out who did this to us and all that junk.”

“I’m too hungry to run.” I rolled my eyes, although my stomach was aching as well.

“Maybe that should be our first priority then,” the rude boy said. “To find some food. Then we can look for a city. There’s no food around here though, so we should probably start walking.”

“I don’t think we should walk away from here. We should stay right here until someone finds us. If we move it will be harder for them to do that.”

“And who is going to be the first to do that, huh? Our parents or the people who trapped us here? They may come back to kill us.”

“If no one else is going to come find food, I’ll go,” the rude boy said, “and I’m not coming back.” A minute after he started walking away, I began to follow him, and slowly, one by one, so did the others.

See more stories by Elora
Give me liberty or give me

Give me liberty or give me death!-Patrick Henry.  Great!

Posted by wildcat on Wed, 07/12/2017 - 13:23
Nice chapter! Update soon -

Nice chapter! Update soon - I'm excited!

I hope one day I can love something as much as women in commercials love yogurt.

Posted by Augusta on Wed, 07/12/2017 - 17:34
That was soooooo

That was soooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really excited to keep reading this!!!!!!!!! That line where you said "The question is: who is "they"," was amazing!!!! I don't think the character dialog was too confusing because we haven't completly met any of them yet. I think it was smart to really only bring out a couple that stoud out, but still gave me the feel that there were more people. For cc, "Well it's obviously not, so shut up," on older boy.......

on should be an

"Maybe that's how the other ten..... Died."

"Died" is still part of the same sentence so it should be uncapitalized.

I really didn't see anything with the plot that was confusing, just a couple simple spelling/grammer problems. This chapter was really clear, and well put. I'm excited to read the next chapter!!!! smiley

Posted by Meowing (Emily) on Wed, 07/12/2017 - 21:51
Thanks so much! I'm glad you

Thanks so much! I'm glad you guys like it. I'll try and get the next chapter out here decently soon, but right now I'm attempting to plan out all the characters and the plot in general. I mean, at this point I don't even know what's going to happen next. :) I'll do my best though. 

Posted by Elora on Thu, 07/13/2017 - 11:56
I really can't wait to see

I really can't wait to see what kind of characters these people are! This sorta reminds me of the Maze Runner. Not completly, just a little bit.

Posted by Meowing (Emily) on Thu, 07/13/2017 - 12:03