/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Elevating Eleven (Chapter 3) - Sorry guys, it's a slow chapter. Hopefully Chapter 4 will pick things up. | KidPub Press //
Elevating Eleven (Chapter 3) - Sorry guys, it's a slow chapter. Hopefully Chapter 4 will pick things up.

Posted July 14th, 2017 by YoungAuthor

YoungAuthor's picture
by Elora
in Looking for some good books

After about an hour, we had gotten nowhere. All there was to see were trees and the ground. The walk was dreadfully boring. The only people who were talking were two shorter girls whom I assumed knew each other before hand.

“Would you all stop talking? Please?” the rude boy said.

“Who’s talking?” said Caprice. The boy glares at her and mumbles something under his breath.

“Actually, I think we need someone to start talking. Everyone say your name and…” Caprice says, “yeah, that’s it.” No one responded. “I’m Caprice,” she started. The rude boy grunted.

“Nicasio,” he said.

“Good!” Caprice said cheerfully. I winced a bit at her cheesiness.

“Dara,” said one of the friends in the back. Her friend was silent. “And this is Mocha,” she said. “We’re sisters.” Mocha stayed silent the whole time. I assumed Dara was the older one, as she was a whole head taller than Mocha, but you never know.

“I’m Anessa,” I said, adding my name into the mix. Everyone else began to give out their names.

“Cricket,” said a very small girl.

“Arkady,” a boy around my age said.

“Pace,” said the boy whose eyes had been tearing up since he woke up. His voice was shaky even as he said his own name.

“Wynn,” a girl with red hair said as she crossed her arms.

“Auric,” said a blonde boy confidently.

“Ryeson,” said. He was the last one to say his name.

“Good!” Caprice repeated. I tried to memorize their faces and names together before I forgot. If we were going to… survive, I suppose, out there in the woods, we might have as well know each others’ names.

“Hey look, a bush!” Cricket cried.

“Who cares? It’s just a bush,” Auric said.

“No! It has berries on it!” she yelled at the top of her lungs. Everyone looked over to where she was pointing. Nicasio sprinted over there.

“Hey you, give me your shirt,” he said to one of the guys.

“What? No!” he said, “Use your own shirt.”

“Fine,” Nicasio said angrily. He pulled of his shirt and started to pick a few of the berries off and pile them into his shirt. He paused and turned around to face us. “Um, help me?” he said. Everyone jumped into action and picked berries off the bush. Some others searched around the area to see if they could find any other berry bushes. We loaded Nicasio’s shirt full of so many berries that Ryeson ended up taking his shirt off too, to carry all of them. I collected a few in my palm.

“Let’s keep going,” Nicasio said once we’ve picked almost every bush clean. He wrapped up his shirt and we continue onward.

Later that night, we carefully spread out all of the berries we collected. I piled my small collection onto the shirts. It won’t be a lot of calories, but hopefully it will last us until we find a better food source.

“We should roast them!” Cricket said.

“Roast? Berries? Roast berries?” Arkady said.

“Yeah, why not?” Cricket said.

“Well-” Nicasio started.

“Don’t even answer her, Nicasio. She probably doesn’t matter to you anways,” Caprice said, spitting out his name like a big “Woah,” I say, “why are we getting so deep even though we’ve only known each other for a few hours?”

“Yeah, don’t be weirdos,” Dara said, surprising everyone. I could already see then that Caprice was unpredictable. Cricket looked upset. When she caught me looking, she simply rolled her eyes.

“Can we please eat now? I’m super hungry,” Cricket complained. Some of the others nodded, even Nicasio. Cricket didn’t even wait for an answer before grabbing a handful of the berries. She shoved them in her mouth and everyone watched her chew, as if she were about to fall dead. After all, none of us knew if those berries were poisonous or not. After she didn’t drop to the ground, and she actually went for a second hand full. I grabbed my own. I was starving.

We fell asleep in darkness. It wasn’t too cold out, and none of us knew how to make a fire anyways.

See more stories by Elora
All the character names are

All the character names are so cool - you've invented kind of a culture of your own with them; I love it! I can't wait to get to know them all more. Please update soon!

I hope one day I can love something as much as women in commercials love yogurt.

Posted by Augusta on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 19:57
Thanks! I'm glad you like

Thanks! I'm glad you like the names, I literally just went on a baby name website and it randomly generated names until I found enough that I liked. 

Posted by Elora on Sat, 07/15/2017 - 13:41
Please post

Please post soon!

__________

“There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you.” - Beatrix Potter

Posted by Hey_its_Alem! on Fri, 07/14/2017 - 20:24
Amazing, please write more!

Amazing, please write more!

Posted by wildcat on Sat, 07/15/2017 - 06:33
Cool! This story is really

Cool! This story is really coming along!

Posted by Meowing (Emily) on Sun, 07/16/2017 - 14:39