/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Fire and ice chapter 13 | KidPub Press //
Fire and ice chapter 13

Fire and ice chapter 13

Posted May 9th, 2018 by GraceL

by Grace
in Auckland

10 year old Amber was sitting at her desk, trying to listen to the teacher. She felt a piece of paper touch her lap. She carefully unfolded it so the teacher wouldn’t see.

Can I come to your house for dinner?

Steve.

She wrote a few words on a piece of paper, carefully folded it and passed it back.

Of course! Can I borrow your phone so I can Tell Emerald?

Amber

She remembered the first time Steve came to her house. When Emerald came to pick them up Steve’s sunglasses slipped off, and Emerald just stared at his eyes. When Amber commented on this Emerald had said:

“His eyes are the brightest shade of green I’ve ever seen!”

???????????

Emerald couldn’t cook. Let alone teach Winter and Amber to cook. Normally when Amber invited friends to dinner Emerald ordered takeaways because cornflakes and tinned spaghetti just wouldn’t cut. But this time she didn’t even mention it. During dinner Winter didn’t say anything, but that was normal. Emerald seemed to be giving Steve suspicious looks under her sunglasses.

Amber felt she had to speak twice as much to make up for Winter's silence.

“So then I said ‘oh yeah?’ he was just like -pass the salt  Winter- ‘you don’t know what your talking about!’ and I was like ‘yes I do!’ and then she said...(etc)”  

Amber and Steve went outside to play with Steve’s football, then it was time for Steve to go home. After Steve left, Emerald went into one of her sessions where she paced around her room and muttered to herself.

10 minutes later she came out.

“Pack your stuff girls!”

“Where are we going? What about school?” said Amber.

“Nevermind school!” said Emerald “Go pack your stuff!” Something told Amber that this trip would be different from others. This one would change her and Winter’s life forever.

See more stories by Grace