/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Here's to the Broken Kids | Part One | Chapter Six | KidPub Press //
Here's to the Broken Kids | Part One | Chapter Six

Posted November 23rd, 2018 by Zelda

by Unclever Re
in a perpetual predicament

A/N: This is so so late, but at least it's here, right? I'm usually more than a month late because.. procrastination. Anyways. I apologize for the lackluster tone of this A/N, but to add some context; it's 3:30am right now. I'm not so much tired as hungry, but still.. not a great 'Energy' hour. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions about the languages used in this chapter, let me know! There's a little bit of arabic, and some rerunite included.

- Re

Chapter Six

The twins

They hadn’t dressed warm enough. Ji Kien rubbed her bare arms vigorously, teeth chattering. The thin red tee-shirt and light pants she had donned for this trip did nothing to keep out Earth’s chill winds. The chain she wore wrapped up her left arm was leaving red marks where the cold metal rested too long, and the leather collar it clipped to wasn’t too comfortable in these temperatures either. Beside her, Ji Ny wasn’t fairing much better.

The teleportation itself hadn’t taken much out of them. A little more than teleporting from their home to Win Bel’s recovery station, but not enough to worry either of them. They hadn’t passed out even a little. The cold, however, was damn close to sending them back.

“I didn’t think it would be this freezing,” Ji Ny grumbled, shrugging the backpack she wore further up her shoulders.

“No kidding. If this is the warmest place on this rock can you imagine what the parts they consider cold are?” Ji Kien agreed. She missed Reruna’s warmth already. Oh well, they’d survive. She stuck her tongue out at the white specks that floated down from Earth’s grey sky. Ji Ny mimicked the motion, catching a fleck on her tongue.

A human walking towards them looked them up and down, then crossed to the other side of the street.

“Rude,” Ji Ny muttered, pulling a face at the human. This only served to make the human walk much faster.

“Have you noticed none of these humans have horns?” Ji Kien pointed out, nodded to another human who had stopped to stare at something on the other side of a clear wall. Earth had a ridiculous amount of tall buildings with clear walls. And, true to Ji Kien’s observation, Earth’s bipedal inhabitants didn’t appear to have any horns.

“We’re not doing a great job of blending in,” Ji Ny agreed. Their books at home listed ‘humans’ as the primary inhabitants of Earth. They were described as being rerunoid in nature but with a much wider genetic pool. The notebooks had failed to point out all the extremely noticeable ways that humans were not rerunoid, like the lack of horns, and the surprisingly dull color scheme. They hadn’t met a single human yet with bright hair or bold eyes. Although quite a few of the humans had soft blue eyes, which was pretty. Kind of strange for an eye color, but pretty nonetheless.

“We’ll figure something out,” Ji Kien said. Right after they figured out how to find a dual soul among this massive pool of humans. Another thing their notebooks had failed to get across; the sheer amount of humans that lived on Earth. Ji Kien shivered, crushing her arms closer to her body. Seventeen heat measures her foot, this dimension was so far in the cold measures she worried they’d have to head back home before they found a human. “Okay, what did mom’s notebook say about tracking dual-souls?”

Ji Ny bit her lip and pretended not to flinch. It was only last year that the twins had lost their parents, and it hurt to remember. Her sister patted her shoulder gently, leaving a patch of brief warmth.

“Hey, check that out,” Ji Kien pointed at a human behind a clear wall. The human had on short sleeves and colors swirled all the way up one of their arms. It looked like the face of an animal, dark eyes twinkling off pale flesh. Ji Kien didn’t recognize the animal, but it looked vaguely like a vilamach. If a vilamach had rainbowesque skin and geometric bones. The human—a male human by the looks of it—also had bits of metal in his ear.

“That’s cool,” Ji Ny said, meaning the metal bits. She peered through the clear wall. Her breath fogged the wall.

“Is that a human growth?”

“It could be how they identify dual souls.”

“Let’s go ask,” they decided, and marched over to the door together. A bell jingled above the door and a gust of warm air swept over the twins. The human boy glanced up, his blue eyes drawn towards the sound. A counter with a clear top separated him from the twins. He smiled, waved, and said something that the twins couldn’t understand. Ji Ny frowned, lips twisting.

“Uh, sabah al-khair,” she stumbled over a human greeting. The boy behind the counter wrinkled her forehead, so Ji Ny tried again with a little less stuttering. The human boy said something that sounded nothing like the Human language that Ji Ny had learned.

“You try,” she said to her sister. Ji Kien nodded, her head had a more confidant tilt to it, her eyes narrowed faintly in recognition.

“Hello,” she said, her voice lifting up at the end.

The boy behind the counter relaxed, her smile spread. “Hi, how can I help you,” hhe asked, planting his elbows on the clear countertop. The twins strode closer, Ji Ny pointed out the glittering bits of metal trapped under the countertop and Ji Kien grinned in response.

“We’re new here, could we ask you a couple of questions?” Ji Kien asked, copying the human boy’s elbows-on-counter posture.

“Of course. I like your horns by the way, very punk rock,” the boy flashed another grin. He spun a ringlet of his own blue hair around his finger. Ji Kien gave a short laugh,  she wasn’t sure what ‘punk rock’ meant but it sounded fun.

“Thank you,” she said, then paused to fish for what she wanted to say, “you are…hwo od I sae vreti ni hwemna?” she turned to Ji Ny.

“Jameel? Enta jameel?” Ji Ny guessed, but it wasn’t quite right.

“I’m sorry, I do not know the right word. It’s like, uh, your face is cute, but better?” she tried, she must have gotten at least a bit right because the human boy laughed and straightened up. He ran his fingers through his hair, the tops of his ears were pinker than the rest of him.

“Let’s hear your questions, punk rock.”        

An hour later the twins walked out of the shop with a piercing in each of their ears, a better grasp of human ‘English’, and at least seven more questions on how they were supposed to find the soul(s) they were searching for. 

See more stories by Unclever Re
This was great! The twins

This was great! The twins are so punk rock and the funniest thing about it is that they didn't know till right now lol. The maternal instincts in me just want to wrap them up in big fluffy coats so they'll stop being cold :(

____________________________________________________________

Posted by *Snow* on Fri, 11/23/2018 - 14:13
Thank you! Don't worry,

Thank you! Don't worry, they'll be warm soon c:

"They say before you start a war/ you better know what you're fighting for" ~ Angel with a Shotgun; The Cab

Posted by Unclever Re on Sat, 11/24/2018 - 01:43