/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Javahouse -get a dose of creative caffeine- (KIDPUB NEWSLETTER) Issue I | KidPub Press //
Javahouse -get a dose of creative caffeine- (KIDPUB NEWSLETTER) Issue I

Posted January 15th, 2019 by moeuhane

by Sachi
in California

Javahouse -get a dose of creative caffeine-

Issue I

Cafes are where people write. Enter a coffee shop and you’ll find (occupying all the available tables) writers hunched over their laptops; surrounded by portable chargers and cups of cold coffee. What makes coffee shops desirable writing locations? Is the smell of freshly brewed coffee, the snacks, the pastries, the noise of everyday life? Do the conversations of strangers inspire dialogue? Is it the feeling of community you get from working in a public place or simply the aesthetic? Whatever the reason coffeeshops/teahouses and writing have become synonymous.

Introducing Javahouse, a new bi-weekly(every two weeks) newsletter, with a goal to give KPers some creative caffeine and to help members engage with their community. Read about NSP posts, pin messages, on the community bulletin, enter contests, and more.

A very quick letter from your very embarrassed editor: So, a year ago I promised a bi-weekly newsletter and I didn’t follow through on it. I could totally give excuses but I figured you guys would appreciate a first issue more.

-Sachi

And Today’s Specials Are…

(Read about what’s new on the NSP. I’ll be providing links to the posts and short excerpts from each post mentioned. If you want your piece to be reviewed in more depth contact me via my contact tab.)

Barista: Nina

Ancestry of fire Chapter 8 (action/adventure)

I woke to chattering voices and the door being slammed open. And there stood a crowd of humans, in blue uniforms and a sort of black object they held in their hands

Read the rest here

Barista: Luna

Colors:(REWRITE):Chapter One (fantasy)

There had been a time when the Rainbow Council had gotten along.  Back before the war with the Shadows, the secret race that been exiled long before.  Though their true name was Grisi, it was rare to hear someone say it. Everyone, no matter how bold or how unwilling to admit it, was afraid of the Grisi, and only the most bold ever spoke it.

Read the rest here

Colors:(REWRITE):Chapter Two (fantasy)

“I’m as powerless as you are in there,” Beck whined.  “I may know more about politics than you, and be more prepared to lead my people than you are, but I’m still young and inexperienced.  They’re like vultures, picking everyone apart until either you end up a shell of a person, bent to their will, or just as bad as they are.”  He sighed. “If I tried to say something, then it’d be both of us they were targeting.”

Read the rest here

I’m Fine (poetry)

When your mind already beats itself up

it's hard to hear that she is getting exactly what you wanted

from your friend who you could've sworn cares about you

Read the rest here

Barista: Ella

The Royal Baby (romance)

When I was just a normal college student I found the love of my life that would change my life forevermore.

Read the rest here

Barista: Norah

Ghosting (story)

It had been two years since Benjamin died. Two years, six months, and an endless number of days, all spent in that darkened house, with no one but himself and the starving mice to keep him company. On occasion, a real estate agent would stop by, and Benjamin would get to have some fun.

Read Here

Barista: Quartzmaster

Ultimates: 3rd Series Book Six: (Chapter 11) (action/adventure)

“Well, anyway, I’m just gonna sit here and wait for Jasper to win the fight.”

“He’s not gonna win. Not with that attitude,” I said. “Asolo isn’t even trying.”

“Should I?” Asked Asolo with a grin.

“Yes,” I answered. If he shows what he could do, that would give the people fighting him next an advantage.

It was then that the fight took a step up, speedwise.

Read the rest here

Ultimates: 3rd Series Book Six: (Chapter 12)(action/adventure)

Pixelen immediately disappeared, completely out of sight. Asolo didn’t do anything, until a few seconds after, when he proceeded to charge forward. His fist flung, as I heard a sound that indicated that he had struck. It sounded really painful. If that hit his jaw, surely it would break. Asolo wasn’t holding back, was he?

Read the rest here

Ultimates: 3rd Series Book Six: (Chapter 13)(action/adventure)

Both Ich and Asolo were pretty powerful. I really need to train with a master or someone soon. I’d been sparring by myself for quite a while. Of course no one at the complex wanted to spar. Either they wouldn’t do much to help me grow, or they couldn’t be arsed to do it.

Read the rest here

Ultimates: 3rd Series Book Six: (Chapter 14)(action/adventure)

The rest of the ride was silent… Only a few people were talking amongst themselves quietly, but the yelling certainly had stopped. And Mehrunes was still knocked out.

Read the rest here

Ultimates: 3rd Series Book Six: (Chapter 15)(action/adventure)

After we arrived back to the planet Ertin, Phoenix had ran out the door, looking excited and eager for her date. I remembered what Ichoo and Draco had said about Summer… That he was suspicious and all.

Read it the rest here

D a r k D r a g o n - E p i s o d e B r o s h i (C h a p t e r 7)(action/adventure)

I was somewhat surprised when I saw my brother, Draco, on TV. He was doing some tournament on the Rock Planet. Cool, I guess. I didn’t care anymore. Revenge or not, I could do that after I found Locke and saved him.

Read the rest here

Barista: Ava

Just And Enigma Chapter 1 (fantasy)

They tried to pin me down.They were piling onto my arms and legs.My eyes flashed a deep red and a mythical force dragged  them off of me.I was on my feet fast as lightning.

Read the rest here

My Mythicals

A handy index of magical characters for Ava’s ongoing story “Just An Enigma”

Dark Angel(fantasy)

I stood outside my burning home.There was chaos as the ambulance and police rushed around I ran through the bushes to escape hoping that the police wouldn't notice me.

Read the rest here

Barista: Lena

heartbreak and rebirth(poetry)

i gave birth to time itself

read the rest here

Barista: Hawkeye

Ashby and the Top Ten Worst Things About Me(fantasy)

I’m Ashby and my name doesn’t even make the Top 10 Worst Things About Me.

Here’s a quick breakdown.

-Worst Thing #10: I’m a classic faerie blessing-turned-curse. Good ol’ Pappy traded his moral compass for the success of his posterity, and here I am, richer than you’ll ever be and as blind to the binary of good and evil as my pop.

Read the rest here

Plum(general fiction)

She was the type of girl who seemed too good to be true, if you were a mugger.

Everything looked expensive.

Read the rest here

Barista: Unclever Re

Here’s to the Broken Kids I Part One I Chapter Eight(fantasy)

Xena curled up on one of the two roller chairs, one leg propped up on the seat, the other dangling off the edge. It felt like there were bands around her chest and the air tasted like stale oil. The room spun, but the tilting was getting better already.

Read the rest here

Barista: Kayla

How to Write (non-fiction)

If you are reading this, you want to learn how to write stories and poems and essays that will blow your teacher’s mind.  Of course, this is no easy feat. Writing takes time, practice, and skill. But you can get there, and I will show you how.

Read the rest here

Barista: Cacophony

The Keepers: Excerpt(action/adventure)

The sky always seemed to weep when Venus Chen visited a cemetery.

When her grandfather had passed, the rain gently cascaded downward and left soft kisses on her cheek. She imagined him scooping her up and placing his lips on her forehead once more. The icy rain froze her to the core when her teacher had a stroke. The cold had made her heart stop and she pondered if this was the misery her teacher had felt. Finally, when she went to visit her parent's graves it was almost a torrential downpour.

Read the rest here

Barista: Max

A Wind So Fierce | Excerpt: Beginning of the Downfall(fantasy)

It was the silence that accompanied her these days after her mother’s unfortunate death. It was the silence that chased with her after she ran from home—though not temporarily. Although her father was Hell given form, he was the only thing tethering her to survival. And, finally, it was the silence that drove her mad.

Read the rest here

Barista: Hannah

Breaking the chain Chapter 1. (Inspierd by P.J. Night)(horror)

At first, I didn’t think much of the email my best friend sent me. After all, it was a chain message and those things don’t mean anything right?

Read the rest here

Barista: Ava(chicken 123)

Splinter(poetry)

I'm just another splinter

On a piece of wood

Did you know

That many splinters make up that piece

Read the rest here

Swish(poetry)

This is the last time to prove myself

To prove I can

Do it

Read the rest here

Barista: Garrett

Daughter of Light (rewrite) / Chapter One (fantasy)

Swarms of red eyes surrounded her.

Eileen backed into the wall, her knees wobbly.  She buried her hands in her eyes as she slid to the floor.  Their voices droned in her ears, endless deluges of slurs and hateful words that burned her like brands.

Was this a nightmare?  Or was it a memory?

Read the rest here

Barista: WereIsRemus

Rescue point(non-fiction)

I could sense it. Eyes still following me, gathering pace and with each step I take getting closer. They were now near, I felt it. Hands stretching out to me. I turned around, swiftly this time as I knew this wasn’t my imagination.

Read the rest here

Barista: solivagent

Historical Context of East of Eden by John Steinbeck(non-fiction)

Steinbeck worked on farms and ranches throughout the Salinas Valley as a young man, and his experiences growing up there and the geography of the area shaped him as a person and a writer. His relationship with the area was not entirely positive— in a 1955 essay, he wrote, “Salinas was not a pretty town. It took a darkness from the swamps.”

Read the rest here

Cup of Excellence

(The Cup of Excellence is an annual competition held in countries all over the world to identify the best coffee brew. In this case, The Cup of Excellence is small writing contest held by Javahouse with winners and new prompts announced every issue. Prompts will call for poems, blurbs, or monologues (nothing longer than one page). Either post these entries on the NSP or email them to me. The winning entry will be featured in that week's publication with an additional prize that will vary from week to week.)

Welcome to Javahouse’s first Cup of Excellence! For this week I’d like for you readers to finish this story:

She never thought she would see his face again. But now, after thinking him dead for so long, there he was standing before her. He was older now, then again so was she. His eyes were the same. She did not know which feeling was stronger; the grief that came flooding back after five years, the confusion, the rage, or the unbridled, irrepressible joy.

Feel free to tell the narrative in any way you like. You are not required to use the quote in your piece. You can enter by emailing me the piece or posting it on the NSP. If posting your entry on the NSP please include ‘for Cup of Excellence’ in the post’s title so it’s easier for me to spot! This week’s prize is the winner’s choice of an in depth review of one of their pieces or an author’s interview to be published in the next issue. Good luck! I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with!

Submission deadline: January 25th

Community Bulletin Board

I’d like to welcome some of Kidpub’s newest members to the community: Welcome to Kidpub Ella, Ava, and Hannah! You’ve all picked a great place to grow as writers. Here are a few things you should know about our small corner of the internet:

1. NSP stand for Newest Stories Page (the homepage)

2. KP= KidPub and KPers= Kidpubbers

3. AN= Author’s notes (it’s a page on the site, located under the ‘talk about’ tab that lets you leave notes for your fellow KPers)

4. WB= Writer’s Block Forum (another page under the ‘talk about’ tab for talking about writing and other unrelated things. I’d recommend joining one of our Neverending stories on there, they’re tons of fun!)

5. Clogging is a post completely unrelated to writing that pushes other author’s pieces down on the NSP. We’re not as strict about it these days just be mindful.

6. And if you don’t know about Perry he’s the one who founded kidpub about twenty years ago.

I’m sure there are some things I’ve forgotten so if anyone has anything else to tell our new members leave a comment! Be sure to read and comment on their work which I’ve linked in the Today’s Specials column.

Writers Nook

(Whether you're starting a new project, revamping an older one, or stuck on chapter 15 of your novel, the Writers Nook is a good place to read about tropes, world-building skills, character development, literary devices and more. I am by no means an expert so aside from my own piece I’ll be linking related videos and articles in case you guys wanted to explore the topic more. I’ll be setting up topic polls for each issue’s Writers Nook so make sure to vote so I can shape the paper to fit your creative needs.)

Confession: This week has been crazy busy for me and I’m still in the process of outlining the piece on creative inspiration I had planned for this column. I promise you will see it in the next issue but I’m not just gonna leave you guys with nothing! I came across 18 motivational quotes while browsing the page of The Writing Cooperative. Here’s a boost of creative caffeine to start your year write;) (<--sorry not sorry):

“When all else fails, write what your heart tells you. You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” -Mark Twain

“Those who don’t believe in magic never find it.” Roald Dahl

“The idea is to write so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.” -Maya Angelou

“Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” -Lisa See

“The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.”

? Terry Pratchett

“You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it.

That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence.”

? Octavia E. Butler

“You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.”

? Jodi Picoult

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”

— Louis L’Amour

“Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.”

— Virginia Woolf

“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”

? Sylvia Plath

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”

? Anton Chekhov

“When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done.”

— Stephen King

Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don’t see any.

- Orson Scott

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”

? Maya Angelou

“Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”

— Franz Kafka

“If the book is true, it will find an audience that is meant to read it.”

— Wally Lamb

I think all writing is a disease. You can’t stop it.”

— William Carlos Williams

“I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.”

— Anne Frank

A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”

— Richard Bach

“People say, ‘What advice do you have for people who want to be writers?’ I say, they don’t really need advice, they know they want to be writers, and they’re gonna do it. Those people who know that they really want to do this and are cut out for it, they know it.”

— R.L. Stine

and last but not least…

“I believe myself that a good writer doesn’t really need to be told anything except to keep at it.”

— Chinua Achebe

Thank you for reading Javahouse’s first issue! I’m still trying to figure some things out so if you have any suggestions please leave a comment.

A few of you expressed interest in contributing to the paper when I pitched the idea last year and again I’m really sorry if I didn’t respond. If you’re still interested contact me via my contact tab and I promise I’ll get back to you! I’d appreciate any help.

Happy writing! -Sachi

See more stories by Sachi
I remember you starting

I remember you starting this!!! I am so glad to finally see it, this is great. Please keep going with it!!

Now. Who wants to hang out with me in the Javahouse?

____________________________________________________________

Posted by Gracithe1andonly on Tue, 01/15/2019 - 19:27
I’m glad you liked it!

I’m glad you liked it! I’m just sorry it took so long
/and here you are living despite it all/

Posted by Sachi on Wed, 01/16/2019 - 16:19
Don't worry about it! The

Don't worry about it! The impressive thing is that you did it at long last.

Posted by *Snow* on Wed, 01/16/2019 - 16:36
Sweet!

Sweet!

Posted by Perry on Tue, 01/15/2019 - 19:28
Wow! I can tell you spent a

Wow! I can tell you spent a lot of time and hard work on this thing!

One little tip is to make the differences between authors easier to spot. You can do this with line breaks! (The button between "Source" and "Cut" (the scissors symbol) so that it's easier for people to tell the difference.

For instance:

Barista: A

Title

First lines (read more)

Barista B

...

and so on :D

Posted by echo (*Jill*) on Wed, 01/16/2019 - 08:39
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll be sure to do that in the next issue

Posted by Sachi on Wed, 01/16/2019 - 16:18
i swear i thought i wasn't

i swear i thought i wasn't going to make the cut because i barely ever post but here we are!

thanks for not forgetting about...

-that other kid

Posted by indygoes (kayla) on Fri, 01/18/2019 - 14:54