/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Just a little something I whipped up! | KidPub Press //
Just a little something I whipped up!

Just a little something I whipped up!

Posted January 13th, 2014 by lcnawara

by lily
in a tree, hiding from reality

Yup. Unedited. 

“Jesus Christ, Halle. Finish up.” Kristen yelled outside my door, slamming her fist against the oaken door.

“Give me a second!” I cried back, pulling my boots on and quickly tying my hair in a braid. After doing so, I took a deep breath and opened the door. I came face-to-face with a beet red Kristen, who had her hair brushed to the side and was aglow with makeup. 

“You don’t have to take this so seriously, you know.” I teased, playfully punching her shoulder.

“You haven’t had a boyfriend in at least one year.” she reminded me. “This could be him! This could be your Price Charming. Of course I’m going to take it seriously.” 

I sighed, pulling my purse over my shoulder and stepping out of my room.

“Fine. Let’s go.” I said, annoyed. She responded with an ear-to-ear smile, and took my hand. She led me down the short corridor and towards the exit of the cabin.

“Where’s his cabin?” I ask Kristen, who picks up her speed. 

“Just follow me,” She lets go of my hand and we move from our own cabin, which is sat by a small pond, and head towards the thicker parts of the forest. The sky above us is dark, mostly because the sun had set a while ago, but also because it was about to rain. My legs hurt from the constant hiking Kristen and I did, so jogging with her towards an unknown place made them even more sore. I could see the moon gently rise, the ominous glow barely lighting the woods. 

“How much further?” I questioned, after we had run for at least ten minutes. I slowed, forcing Kristen to do so also. We set our pace back to a walk. Oak, red alder, and ash trees loomed above us, sending shivers down my spine. Their leaves spiraled down upon us, yellow, red, and brown. 

“Not too much longer,” Kristen said. “God, I love fall.” she then continued to state, staring up at the canopy of trees. 

“Same, but only in the day…when I can actually see the ground beneath my feet.” I noted, when realizing it was almost pitch black outside. 

“Oh, stop complaining. It’s worth it. He’s a hottie!” she squealed. I rolled my eyes, continuing to follow her. 

Finally, the forest broke into a clearing, and a large cabin was conveniently planted smack-dab in the middle. The lights were on, surprisingly, since curfew was about twenty minutes ago. 

“We turned off the lights, right?” I asked Kristen, worried we’d be caught. 

“Mhm, of course. Don’t worry anyways.” 

I turned to her. “I’m the queen of worrying, Kris. You of all people should know that.” I remarked, sticking my tongue out. She laughed and walked towards the porch.

The wood creaked underneath our feet, adding to the already eerie night. The closer we got to the door, the more my stomach twisted, I was nervous. 

“You’ll love him! You’ll just love him.” Kristen mused, waving her hands about giddily. 

“I have no idea why you’re the one excited.” I said, frowning. 

We reached the final step, and I inhaled. Kristen took no time to knock the door, and squeal like she always did when she was excited. I sighed, following my own routine. 

What if I don’t like him? I asked myself, What if he’s not for me?

A handsome guy opened the door, his face slightly chiseled and his hair delicately falling on his forehead. 

“Hi, I’m Halle.” I said, reaching my hand out. The boy accepted it, and shook it. 

“Halle, this is Blake.” Kristen introduced me. 

“So I am,” he responded, grinning. I chuckled, just like every girl does in front of guy. 

“Is Henry here?” Kristen intrigued. Henry was her boyfriend. 

“Yeah, in the back. Want to come with me Halle?” Blake said. I nodded as a reply, and he let us in, closing the door behind him.

“It’s nice to be out of the wind.” I said, removing my windbreaker. 

“Yeah, it’s like winter’s already here.” he laughed. 

“I’m glad it’s not,” Kristen added, “back in California we didn’t need to worry about heavy jackets and snow boots.” 

“Yeah, I used to live in Cali. Until this whole Program started.” Blake interjected. “Where’d you live, Halle?” 

“Minnesota,” I giggled. “I’m used to it all.” Blake nodded, and pointed to where Henry was. 

The distinct smell of bonfire arose when Kristen opened the back door and exited the cabin. She winked at me before she turned to leave, and I smiled back. Blake seemed to be the one. 

“So,” I said, bouncing on the balls on my feet while we sat in silence. 

“Follow me upstairs,” he offered, though it seemed like an offer I couldn’t refuse. I followed him, up the carpeted stairs and into a small study. There was a leather loveseat in the corner, a dest in the back, and a bookshelf to the right. 

“This is nice,” I said, feeling more uncomfortable by the second. 

“Yeah, it is.” Blake suddenly had his hands around my waist and his face against mine. I gasped, not knowing what else to do. He tilted his head.

“You don’t like me?” he asked. 

“No, no…I do, it’s just…” I couldn’t finish my sentence before Blake moved in closer for a kiss, a long kiss. I eventually pulled away, realizing I barely knew this guy.

“Listen, I’m not into this stuff,” I said, my face flushed a deep red and my lips tasting of him. I took a step back. 

“Aw, c’mon. Kris said you were a fun girl.” 

Fun? Is not wanting to make out with a guy you’ve known for five minutes not fun? I wondered. 

“I am…it’s just…” I was at a loss for words, the room suddenly felt stuffy and I couldn’t breathe. I felt as if someone had their hands around my neck, and was trying to suffocate me.

“Let me have a little lip action,” he said sleazily. I gulped, and noticed that Kristen was right- I would get nowhere in life refusing everything. At least, that’s what she always told me. I hesitantly nodded. In an instant, he was at me again, trying to attack me with kisses. I almost screamed, I wasn’t used to anything like this.

After a few minutes of kissing, I pulled away once more. 

“What’s wrong?” he asked. 

“I just…need to go…” I announce, my sweaty hands gripping my purse strap. 

“Oh, okay.” he replied. I gave a fake smile and got out of the study as quick as I could. 

While speed walking down the hall and to the stairs, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was another boy. I shook my head and continued to walk determinedly, knowing the image of him would haunt me if I looked longer. 

Creepy. I thought, I should have known that the Program wouldn’t be filled with kids as normal as me. 

See more stories by lily