//
KIDPUB HOUSES Tests and House Names (Development #1)

Posted April 19th, 2017 by Codename-X12

by Predator-6 (Jack)
in the Guardians HQ

KIDPUB HOUSES Development Phase #1

A POLL TO DECIDE THE NUMBER OF HOUSES HAS BEEN POSTED. PLEASE VOTE! smiley

I'm really glad many of you took the time to comment and give me some feedback on the KidPub Houses. Thanks for your support! I want to address some of the points you made in the comments of

the last post and propose some of my own ideas on how to make the KidPub Houses a successful idea to help KidPub grow. With everyone's help we can create a system enjoyable by all. Continue

your support with name ideas, ideas on changes to the system, and new ideas that could be incorporated. I think the development phase should continue until a basic system and name is set up, and

then we can have a month or several week-long test to flush out anything that needs fixing. Here are some ideas and improvements I want to address.

1. Probably the major problem is that it may cause people to rush their stories out and won't take time to make sure their writing is good, just to get points. I'm not sure how to address this issue, if

anyone had any ideas it would be great if you'd comment them. It could just run on an honesty system that you're taking your time in each thing that you write, I'm not sure.

2. OkayHazelGrace proposed that points should be given for winning contests or participating in them. I think that is a great idea. KPers could propose competitions and you'd get extra points

for doing a  competition (for example, writing a spring-themed poem for a spring poetry contest or something). That will help writer's get over writer's block and help them develop writing skills by

getting them to write something that may be out of their element, so to speak.

3. House names. I was thinking KPers could propose names. Someone suggested the names of famous authors should be the names of the 4 Houses. Post your ideas for cool names below

and we can have a poll to decide the names of each house. The problem with choosing a name is that people will choose the coolest name or the name of the most famous author, but that could be

okay. I think we should use the names of mythical creatures, but that's just my idea. Comment your ideas for names or if you like these suggestions.

4. To sort...or not to sort. Many KPers voiced concerns that if authors were sorted based on genre, if they wrote many genres they wouldn't be able to be in just one House. I have a few ideas for this: 

1. We could have authors be sorted based on what genre they MOST wrote, and they could write anything they wanted while in a House

2. Writers could choose what house they wanted to be in. Problems: too many people in one House and too few in another.

3. We could have a limit on the number of people in each house. For example, at the start of the House program each House could have 10 people in it. If one house was full, you could choose

between the ones remaining. Once all the Houses would be filled up, ten more places could open for new members wanting to join.

4. We could have some sort of personality quiz or something on KidPub. Maybe a poll that decided what House based on what you chose for the answer.

5. Who's keeping track of all this? I was thinking each House could have a leader who kept track of that House's points based on what people posted under their House's thread. This wouldn't be hard

for the leader because members must report their points on their House's thread on the Writer's block, so the leader wouldn't have to scour the main page for the points and stuff.

Comment your ideas below so we can narrow down the options for names and sorting options. Comment anything you think of to improve the system. Once we have some more ideas I will run a poll

so we can vote on ideas for the different names and how the sorting should happen (if we even has one). The Development begins! Predator-6 out!

See more stories by Predator-6 (Jack)
One of the predicaments you

One of the predicaments you addressed in this post was the same idea I had! Great minds think alike. I feel as if the KP movement would be more successful if an author didn't stay in one House for too long. Being able to move freely among them sounds cool (with there being some sort of limit like you mentioned). yes

Posted by AuthorMind(Justin) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:21
When I mentioned the limit,

When I mentioned the limit, I meant that when the House was full, everyone who was in that House would remain there. However, new people can join the House when it becomes full. That way, one House won't have all the members and the others have like none.

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:41
I like both the authors idea

I like both the authors idea and the mythical creatures idea. I would like to be the leader of a House. However, I thought there were going to be three houses, not four?

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by Red Zero on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:40
There can be three or four,

There can be three or four, we'll vote to decide. I think the leader should either be voted on or have the most points within that House.

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:42
That does not indicate

That does not indicate someone's willingness to lead or their responsibility and commitment. Votes mean a popularity contest, which I am typically against. The most points is like being the ace, but the ace is not necessarily the captain.

I am in favor of three, so that the Houses are bigger, because there aren't all that many active members of KidPub. 

Posted by Red Zero on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:49
ok if you are in favor of

ok if you are in favor of three, vote on the poll to make things easier. Also there is a poll for how to decide the leader now. Leaders could be rotated out every week or so.

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:51
I do not like the idea of a

I do not like the idea of a rotating leader. Then again, democracy is not my preferred style of leadership. Although people like me are excellent leaders, no one here ever seems to realize or acknowlege that. 

Posted by Red Zero on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:54
Please vote on the poll if

Please vote on the poll if you have any ideas, which would be very helpful to the development. The method for choosing leaders will be decided by the majority.

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:58
The majority is not always

The majority is not always right. But I have certainly commented on the poll. I am invested in this idea too. In return, you should visit my bio for the link to rproject, my renaissance project for KidPub. If you agree, I could advertise the house idea on there as well.

Posted by Red Zero on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 16:05
yeah that would be a great

yeah that would be a great way to raise awareness

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 16:06
King, I think you make a

King, I think you make a great leader :) Very direct but also open to suggestions. You know what you want and you take charge, and you aren't unkind to others without reason.

I feel leaders should be chosen 1) how well they can lead 2) how active they are community (whether thats writing or commenting or whatever)

Perhaps once we are in our houses, we could nominate and vote for our leaders. I am a little afraid that we might end up choosing whoever is most popular/our friends, but how else would leaders be chosen?

Posted by Elliot on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 17:02
Thank you :) That's true.

Thank you :)

That's true. Personal bias can't be erased. We respect our friends and think the best of them, so of course we would think they would be good leaders.

Posted by Red Zero on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 17:17
† My dog has four legs

† My dog has four legs †

This is a really good idea!! I think the idea of famous authors being the four houses in great. One of them has to be C.S Lewis for sure!! I also think we should do the personality quiz to see which type of house you should participate in. This idea is great and I can't wait to be a part of it.

Posted by Lelin Da Flame† on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 16:50
A poll will be posted next

A poll will be posted next week to determine those things. you can vote then!

Posted by Predator-6 (Jack) on Wed, 04/19/2017 - 17:02
Save ~Stargazer (Co-write
Posted by H.P.W.B (*Jill*) on Thu, 04/20/2017 - 02:57