/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Kuroyuri: Little Petals: Watched | KidPub Press //
Kuroyuri: Little Petals: Watched

Kuroyuri: Little Petals: Watched

Posted October 25th, 2018 by SilverMoon

by solivagant
in timately acquainted with the void

Hello! Boy I did not plan to have this done so soon, but I just wrote like the last 400 words of this in one go?? Guess I'm inspired. Bless.

For those unaware, Kuroyuri is a fantasy concept I have about an unstable but ultimately sweet boy (I say boy but he's a young adult for the main story) and the shadow entity that has latched onto him. Kuroyuri is the Japanese name for a type of lily, so I decided to title this collection of snippets "Little Petals".

This particular snippet takes place early on in the boy's life, when he is still a fairly young child, so it's way before the main plot. Without further ado, I present the first snippet of Kuroyuri!

There was something that stared back at him.

If ever he were to look into the dark, seeking some connection in the cold world to which he was born, he could make out glowing eyes. The first time he saw them when he was curled up alone in a dark corner of the forgotten shrine, his veins turned to ice and his heart beat nearly out of his chest. He had sat frozen for hours, staring at the dark with fearful mistrust until he decided it was safe to relax.

In distant memories like a dream he could remember a life of other people-- the fearful gasp of a woman with the same eyes as him and an ornate headband, the righteous gaze of a priest declaring "There is something evil in this child", other children backing away from him and refusing to touch him, whispers of the word "cursed" bouncing off every wall.

There weren't other people anymore, no creatures who refused to give him warmth. But there was a feeling like a pit in his stomach that he had carried something with him from those days-- a feeling that draped over his shoulders, a strange mix of oppression and calm.

The eyes that found him in an unnatural darkness had frightened him when they continued to plague him, but over time they became a presence in his life as the creaking of the floors or the birds chirping in the eaves. Somehow the glowing orbs that haunted him became comforting, a constant in his life and some unspoken connection of a kind he'd never had.

On a day when the fog gathered thickly on the marsh, the air around him was heavy and a sound curled around him like a hiss of steam. There were no eyes, but there was a strong presence that struck him as familiar. He couldn't see any other creatures out on the marsh, but he was not alone.

"Hello?" He called, blinking and furrowing his brows. "S-someone there? Please reveal yourself. I wish not to be alone."

The presence sharpened, and shadows gathered, swirling lazily about him as those familiar glowing eyes blinked out from the fog.

"You been with me all this time?” He asked, uncertain but curious. Despite its eeriness, the strange entity was like an old friend, and it meant that he wasn’t alone. “You seem to always watch," he observed.

A response came in a hiss, layered like a chorus speaking all at once. "Yes, child. Are you afraid?"

"N-no," the boy protested reflexively, pouting. Despite this protest, his posture was tense, and his legs shook slightly. "W-who are you?"

"You may call me Sonzai-sha," the darkness spoke. "I am pleased to finally speak with you, Kuroyuri child."

"Kuro...yuri?" The boy tilted his head and crouched down, cupping a dark-petaled flower in his hands. "Like this?"

"Yes, child,” the dark Entity affirmed. “They call you Kuroyuri."

"Who is... 'they'?" The boy asked, confused.

"Other humans. The others, that have surrounded you in the past,” Entity explained. “Though it seems you were given that later. First you were called Kuronuma Takumi." The hissing chorus caressed the words, exuding a similar comfort to that he was able to find when staring at the glowing eyes of the dark.

"Ku-ro... numa...Ta-ku-mi," he sounded out, seeming awed and savoring every syllable. "I have a... name? That's... Amazing! Sonzai-sha, do you know everything?"

“No. Only of you, Kuronuma Takumi.”

“Huh?” Takumi exclaimed. “W-why?”

“Because I am always with you,” Entity replied. “I have been with you since you were small… smaller,” it amended. There was an echo of short, low hisses that could be taken as a laugh.

Takumi pouted. “I’m not that small!” he protested. “I’m one of the bigger creatures around here, y’know!”

“That you have seen,” Entity reminded. “Bigger creatures much spend much more effort on staying hidden…”

The duration of that day was spent frolicking on the marsh with Entity’s company and guidance. Although he could appreciate a day spent in his own company, it was nice to have someone else’s that he could speak with. There were the birds and a few lizards from the shrine that would lend him their company from time to time, but the marsh creatures tended to avoid him.  Entity told him that was probably for the best; it would keep him safer.

In the night, on his bedding on the upper floor of the old shrine, he listened to the soft chirping of the birds and asked, “Sonzai-sha, you know all about me, right?”

The boy’s eyes were closed, so he could not see its eyes or its darkness, but now that he could put a name to and recognize the heavy blanket of presence that followed him, he knew that Entity was always lurking. And now that he had spoken with it, he was not as scared.

“Indeed,” came the hissing voice, softer than earlier as if to avoid disturbing him.

“Birds have mama birds, right? That feed them, and teach them how to fly,” Takumi started. Entity did not answer, but he knew it was listening. “But how come I’m different? I don’t have one of those,” he pondered. There was no resentment in his voice. He did not feel loss, or loneliness. He did not know any better.

“You just are, child,” Entity answered. “The little birds must leave their nests at some point. You do not need something like that, so you do not have it.”

The boy thought for a moment. “But I do have you!” he said brightly.

“You do,” Entity agreed, “but I am not your mama.”

“That’s okay,” Takumi smiled. “Sonzai-sha said I didn’t need one.”

He said nothing more and soon drifted into slumber. He was at peace. He did not have a mama like the birds, but he didn’t have nothing.

There was something that stared back at him when he looked into the dark. There was something that answered him when he spoke. There was something that knew things he did not.

There was something that watched over him.

This turned out longer than I expected and I'm actually pretty happy with it. I'm inspired for Kuroyuri right now so hopefully I'll be able to share more with you soon~. I hope you enjoy this!

See more stories by solivagant
Wow that's very interesting!

Wow that's very interesting! I like the decriptions and wording in the begining. I also feel like there's more to this; like the boy's backstory and the entity. Like how the entity came to be, or what it even is. it's decribed as an entity, and it was watching over him, so.... And hey it hisses. An entity that hisses... Wonder whats up with that. 

It's an interesting concept, I would keep reading. I was unaware of this fantasy concept so this taught me. 

k i have class so I'll end the comment here, this was good though.

_____________________________________________________________

<(QuartzMaster)> Read my books!!!! :D

Posted by QuartzMaster on Fri, 10/26/2018 - 10:50
Thank you so much! :) I'm

Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've still been meaning to read Ultimates for ages, and at the moment I'm trying to get more involved in KidPub again so hopefully I can get to it soon^^

{i want to prove that we aren't smoldering in this small world.}

Posted by solivagant on Fri, 10/26/2018 - 17:36
nice writing broski. i like

nice writing broski. i like the vocabulary, and the concept is really interesting. flowers are c o o l. i feel like a youtuber trying to stretch their video to ten minutes... uh. I like the name origin. i think you should continue this, it's really intersting. did i mention that flowers are cool?

no but in all seriousness, it is really good writing with good potential concept. keep wriwriwriting. i like the dynamic between the two people and the conversation.

oof,
me.

Posted by listen to hadestown on Sun, 11/04/2018 - 20:47
Thankee thankee {i want to

Thankee thankee

Posted by solivagant on Sun, 11/04/2018 - 20:59