/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ ~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 5} | KidPub Press //
~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 5}

~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 5}

Posted February 17th, 2019 by SarahJ

by Sarah J
in Ohio

Chapter 5 - Nell

Once I get a safe enough distance away from the enormous house, I look down at my feet - er, paws. Large, strong paws of a wolf. A wolf! I try not to panic as I hear hurried footsteps racing into the forest. They belonged to a girl with windswept caramel hair with her eyebrows narrowed in a troubled expression. Elijah must have sent her after me. I growl, backing away. I don’t want to hurt anybody if I don’t have to.

“Hey, calm down,” The girl spoke calmly even though her hesitant steps said otherwise. “I’m not going to hurt you.” My vision turns white again, and I sigh with relief as I feel my black sweatshirt on my chest and my fingers on my hands. Her eyes go wide, and I suddenly feel a pang of exhaustion.

“I… don’t understand.” I bury my head in my hands, and for some odd reason I can’t stand to be watched in this state. Nobody should know. Nobody.

“Me neither. All I know is that on the news today a woman was found harboring an illegal… shapeshifter today, and I’ve never seen anyone else turn into something other than human like that. The woman is going to court tomorrow afternoon.”

My chest heaves with confusion and shock. I am overwhelmed beyond belief, but I stand up and look at the girl, who is a bit taller than me. Laura. What will she think of me? What will happen to her?

“I can’t go back. My grandfather always told me about what they did to people with powers. They torture them.” It feels impossible to say the words aloud, like I  have powers. It feels like a dream, or a nightmare. The girl stands there for a moment, observing her options.

“Listen. I’m going to get you out of town, or at least somewhere where you will be safe. Where they can’t find you.” She looks through me with a gleam in her eye, like she had been waiting to get out of this place. I remembered my dream, the whole reason I was in this mess now. I was supposed to find someone and tell them to get out. Was this the girl? It was crazy, so I decided not to say anything, in fear that she would decide not to help me. From a life of pretty much no friends, it feels nice to have someone by my side, even if I don’t know her true intentions. I nod in agreement to her plan.

I have no idea what time it is. All I know is that I am exhausted, and so is she (I still don’t know her name), so we decide to rest for the night - or morning. The trees loomed over us in a canopy of pine. An owl coos from a nearby tree, and the wind whispers through the trees, as if telling us that nothing will be the same again. I stare up at the sky in silence, wringing my hands together. I finally get up the courage to speak.

“I’m sorry.” It was all I could say, but not enough to express everything that was going through my mind. I don’t think there is anything to describe that.

“For what? It’s not your fault that that dirtbag attacked you.”

“I attacked him first.”

“He deserved it.” I smile slightly at her boldness.

“Anyway, that’s not what I meant. I’m sorry for having you leave your home to help me.” I don’t know what to expect as a response, and all I get is silence for a long time.

“Trust me. I’m happy to get out of here,” She speaks in monotone, and I can tell she doesn’t want to elaborate further on the subject. We both begin talking at the same time. She goes first. “What’s your name?”

“Nell.”

“My name is Aurora.”

That night, I dream.

Good job, Nell. Well, sort of. It turned out much more chaotic than I originally planned, and now your mother is in danger, but you got the girl. Aurora.

Now, you must come to Mystic Academy.  Nobody without powers can find it, so you two will be okay on that part.

I’ve given Aurora a necklace, which will guide you both to the Academy. It will harness her powers, since they seem to be stubborn. Once both of you are capable, the Academy will show itself to you.

Good luck.

See more stories by Sarah J