/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ ~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 6} | KidPub Press //
~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 6}

~M y s t i c B o r n~{Chapter 6}

Posted February 20th, 2019 by SarahJ

by Sarah J
in Ohio

Chapter note: Also, the chapters of Aurora are made by a friend. This story is a collaboration. She does not have a KidPub account though, sadly :(.   - Sarah J

Aurora, April 21, 2:00 a.m.

Low hanging clouds linger in the cold night air, raising the hair on the back of my neck. I tilt my gaze up from where it was watching the girl, Nell, to the stars, and breathe in the air. Though I had been fighting the restlessness for the past 15 minutes, I don’t think I could hold it in any longer. I stand, stretching my legs and arms.

Nell rotates in her sleep and mumbles something I can’t make out. Her short wavy hair falls in front of her face, and I feel a pang of pity for what she’s going through. “I’ll be right back,” I whisper to her, just in case she’s still slightly awake. I then turn walking towards the barely visible tree line.

Once I get out of the woods I breathe in deeply, slowly letting it out. I could hardly smell the ocean over the strong scent of pine needles. The thought makes me sad.

Suddenly I’m overwhelmed by a sense of urgency. When I get to the road in front of Elijah’s house I glance quickly in both directions, making sure no one was awake, though it hardly seemed necessary. Then, with one last glance at the woods, I started to run.

The feel of my still-shaky legs pushing against the pavement, the feel of my arms swinging, finally waking up, felt so good I could’ve laughed- or cried. The wind ran it’s cold fingers through my hair, letting it blow out behind me. My sweatshirt blocked out most of the cold, but it didn’t matter anyway, because I was numb.

When I reached my aunt’s trailer, my head told me, keep running. But I couldn’t leave the girl, Nell, behind. Not only did I need to make sure she found somewhere safe to stay, but it was also my ticket to leave. To finally head down the road I’ve always dreamed of going down. Besides, I wouldn’t make Nell suffer the same pain I’d been feeling for the past twelve years; abandonment.

When I reach my house I’ve already formed up a list of all the things we’ll need; including one of Butch’s many, many trucks. I enter my aunt’s trailer, which is always unlocked. The door whines quietly, and I wince, quickly shutting it behind me. I pass my the bathroom and kitchen and quickly rush past my aunt’s closed door. I enter my room and immediately begin to gather anything I think I might need from the house; a few extra items of clothing, some water bottles and food, my savings from where they’re stashed under my bed, and my phone, which I hardly use and is running out of data. After double checking everything I grab my Black Bears baseball cap and pull it over my tangled hair, and I write a note on a piece of paper to leave of the kitchen table.

I now you’re probably not, but just in case you’re worried, I might be gone for a while. I’m going on a long needed road trip with a friend I made at the governor’s son’s party. I don’t know when I’ll be back, so please don’t worry. Also, please tell Butch I’m sorry I can’t help him while I’m gone.     - Aurora

I read the note two times before I leave, and when I do I don’t look back at my aunt Elizabeth, and everything I’ve ever known.

When I get to Butch’s, I immediately go around the back of the barn, to what I call Butch’s “car garden”. There’s five beat up trucks in the back, along with a minivan that wouldn’t run no matter what Butch and I tried, and a large tractor for planting and harvesting. Why he needed five trucks and a minivan I don’t know, but I’ve never been so grateful that he keeps the keys in all of their ignitions. I walk up to the farthest one, a light blue 1991 Dodge Ram that Butch hardly acknowledged.

As I open the driver side door it groans, and I wince at the noise as it cuts through the silence of the night. I throw my backpack of stuff into the passenger seat and bend down to see if the keys are in the ignition.

Sure enough a keychain is stuck loosely in the ignition. I pull the car door shut behind me and turn the key. As the engine roars to life I notice something lying on the dashboard. It’s a necklace, it’s leather cord strong. It has a single charm on it, a crystal star that seemed to glow in the midnight darkness. I run my calloused thumb over the smooth surface, and I feel a tug in my stomach, the same one I felt when Nell turned into a wolf. Without thinking I pull the leather cord over my head.

I drive back to Elijah’s house and park the car. I grab my bag and get out of the truck, locking the door behind me. I check the time on my phone; 3:00 a.m. I have a feeling that Nell and I will need to leave soon, since Elijah, the royal, self-centered prat, would probably be looking for Nell, and probably me as well, considering I sucker punched his right hand man.

I go to where Nell is still asleep and wake her, and we head off down the road I’ve always dreamed of going on. I don’t look back.

See more stories by Sarah J