/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Monochrome Rain - Prologue | KidPub Press //
Monochrome Rain - Prologue

Monochrome Rain - Prologue

Posted January 28th, 2013 by TheAshWolf

by TheAshWolf
in

I've never actually written a Realistic Fiction Story.

(READ: I have no idea what I'm doing. XD)

So...yeah. :^| This is horribly short. I'll probably go back and make this Prologe longer in a couple weeks. Meh.

HERE GOES NOTHING! XD If all of the sudden everyone in this developes superhuman abilities, that means I snapped and could no longer take the realitstic world I'm now working with. Derp.

(....Why are all my Prologues so depressing? ._. I just noticed that.)

A/N as of 04/04/2013: Decided to clean this up a little bit, especially the last couple paragraphs. ^_^

Monochrome Rain

by Ashley Briarwolf

Prologue

I’m sick of reading stories about a “chosen one” who goes on some kind of epic adventure. I’m sick of reading events told through the eyes of the extraordinary people. I mean, you never see the chosen one’s lackey writing about their adventures. It’s always the heroes that tell the story.

Is it just that heroes are the only ones motivated to write? I don’t know. All I know is that I’m anything but a hero. I’m just a person. For the majority of my life, I’ve been normal. Average. Predicable. Blissfully ignorant. But someone came along and changed all that.

This is what’s on my mind as I run my hand over his coffin. His horribly plain, unpolished, closed coffin. It makes me realize what a coffin really is—a box. The dead don’t need flowers. They don’t need fancy clothes to be buried in. They don’t need to be embalmed. They don’t need silk bedding or pillows in their coffins or anything else. They’re dead. They don’t care. Funerals are for the living. I mentally curse Roy for teaching me to be more realistic and less sentimental.

I feel a sob rattle up my windpipe and threaten to choke me with tears. I cover my mouth with my hand placed in an awkward angle, not wanting to touch my still swollen lower lip. I feel the bruises on my arms and face beginning to ache again.

This isn’t fair, I think, my selfish streak reviving itself.

He was gone. I wanted to pull him close to me, feel that he still exists, but he just wasn’t around anymore. His body was, but his mind, his voice, his personality, they were simply gone.

As I shuffle back to my seat and sit down, I wish we would have had more time together, that he could have understood that I loved him. I wonder if he loved me back. If he did, he certainly never showed it.

I hear soft footsteps behind me. Someone places their hand on my shoulder. I wish it was his hand. I wish it was him coming to tell me that he’s not dead, that it was all some kind of crazy mix-up at the hospital morgue.

I turn around to face the person. His eyes are blue, but not the shade of blue I was looking for.

I silently wish I could go back to seeing the world as a dull, simple place. It hurt to be so aware. It hurt that I would miss looking into his dark blue eyes. Part of me doesn’t want to see all the colors anymore, so I cant tell the difference between anyones eyes.

© 2013 Ashley Briarwolf. All rights reserved.

See more stories by TheAshWolf
That was beautiful.

That was beautiful. Touching, amazing, and in all one word perfect, you made me feel hypnotised by the short prologue just on its own. I loved reading this: heart to soul. :D Roy died? NO. NO. . . NOOOOO! D8

I cannot wait for the first chapter.

The Narrator sounds so sincere and seemingly amazing! ^_^

That sentence inspired me so much that it could've. <3 ASDFGHJKL.

Me: BE ROY BE ROY BE ROY 8D ._. Oh.

I silently wish I could go back to seeing the world as a dull, simple place. It hurt to be so aware. It hurt that I would miss looking into his dark blue eyes. Part of me doesn’t want to see color anymore, so I couldn’t tell what color anyone’s eyes were...

*grabs a bunch of tissues* ;____;

~~~~

From darkness to shadow, it's life in the meadow.

Posted by Error 3101 (Max) on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 21:11
This didn't actually make

This didn't actually make you cry, did it? O__o *cannot comprehend that*

Oh my word, Max, your comment made my night! X^) I'm so glad you liked this. I have no idea what I'm doing...Realistic Fiction....it's so unlike me. XD

I really hope you like the rest of the story as much as its Prologue! <:^D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:00
The writing made me cry a

The writing made me cry a little bit. X^)

Realistic Fiction.....I like it, though. :D

<:^D I am sure I will love it! ^_^

~~~~

Posted by Error 3101 (Max) on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:07
WHAT IS THIS OH MY GOD IT'S

WHAT IS THIS OH MY GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL

I'm  sorry if this comment seems fake--as much as I wish I could retain the composure to write it in a way that would make logical sense, I'm... I'm sorry... this was just fantastic.

I loved the way you started it. I loved the introduction of death. I love the coffin and how its plainless tied into the implied plainness of the character. I loved the not wanting to see colour anymore thing--it instantly put everything into monochrome.

Dang it, Ash.

Dang it. 

Your writing cannot--simply cannot--disappoint. :D

(I wish this comment were longer... e___e Hopefully I was able to convey my message, though. XD If not, here is the message: This is brilliant. I can't wait to see more, if there will be more *which I'm hoping there is XD*)

~~There's no Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in the land~~

Posted by Sandy on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 21:34
Your commdent doesn't seem

Your commdent doesn't seem fake to me.  ^_^ And pfffftttt, I don't care how long your comments are, I'm overjoyed that you even bothered to read this horrid little prologue. :'D

...What is with me and characters dying in my prologues? XD XD DX DX ._. Good to know it wasn't too much of a bad way to start the story, though. <:^D

And that was my goal! :D Hence the title: Monochrome Rain. ;)

You're too kind. :'3

And yes, there will be more. Lots and lots more. *evil grin*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 21:44
And yes, there will be more.

THAT made my day. <:^J

~~~~

Posted by Error 3101 (Max) on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 21:52
I will follow this. I will

I will follow this. I will follow this. 

Best line ever. It's sad and nostalgic,  "Part of me doesn’t want to see color anymore, so I couldn’t tell what color anyone’s eyes were.."

They don’t need silk bedding or pillows in their coffins or anything else. They’re dead. They don’t care. Funerals are for the living.

Can I please steal this for my signature please "Funerals are for the living."

I’m sick of reading stories about a “chosen one” who goes on some kind of epic adventure. I’m sick of reading events told through the eyes of the extraordinary people.

Aren't we all. Nobody ever notices the background noise, do they?

I hardly ever cry.

I don't remember the last time I cried at a movie or book, besides WildWolf's Les Miserables Fan-Fic.

This made me cry.

I take that back.

I cried silently, tiny tears.

I was snared when I read my favorite line: "Funerals are for the living."

I need this story. Please write more. 

"Today is the tomorrow we were worried about yesterday."-- Unknown

Posted by The Velvet Touch on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:06
O_O THIS...made you cry? D:

O_O THIS...made you cry? D: Don't cry! No tears!!! *gives you a tissue*

(....What am I doing to my readers?! XD XD DX DX I draw them in to read a story by making things depressing...wat...wat is wrong with me...this does not happen on purpose, I swear...)

I'm so relieved that you like this, though!!! O_O :3 And of course you can use that in your sig. I don't mind at all. 'Tis a simple fact. Funerals are for people to say goodbye to those who have died. The dead don't know what their funeral looks like. They can't hear what music their family picked out or what flowers were arranged. o__o That's why funeral homes are so evil....they take advantage of people that are grieving. e_e *ramble*

ANYWAY. >_>

I will write more, don't worry! ^_^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:12
Ash, it is a sad

Ash, it is a sad perspective you are writing here. Short, simple and sad. Just accept the tears because tears is meaning that we want more to give our lives more experience since this book...this wonderful masterpiece...is not allowed to have no tears.

~~~~

Posted by Error 3101 (Max) on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:17
Accept the tears. It's my

Accept the tears. It's my only way to thank you. "Funerals are for the living."- TheAshWolf http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/monochrome-rain-prologue-8951...

Posted by soph-soph27 on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:38
By the way, on a sort of

By the way, on a sort of kind of different note. I love the rough, swishy, fierce kind of slipper way this is written. That's all. :'D

"Funerals are for the living."- TheAshWolf 

Posted by soph-soph27 on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:41
Having trouble figuring out

Having trouble figuring out how to link the quote? <:^D Don't worry, I had trouble with that, too. ^_^

Copy and paste this into your sig box thing:

<a href="http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/monochrome-rain-prologue-895134275">Funerals are for the living."- TheAshWolf</a>

Again, ohmygosh, thank you! ;w; I have no words to describe my appreciation!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:42
THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is will be immortalized.

Posted by soph-soph27 on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:45
qwertyuiopasdfgh--This does

qwertyuiopasdfgh--This does not deserve to be immortalized what are you saying I don't understand--jklzxcvbnm!!!!!! O_O XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:45
I swear I'm clogging up the

I swear I'm clogging up the comments, so this is my last one. Thank you for writing this amazing piec of art, thank you for showing me how to link a signature, thank you for showing me something with fresh eyes.

Funerals are for the living."- TheAshWolf

Posted by The Velvet Touch on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:46
XD No, no, no!!! It's okay!

XD No, no, no!!! It's okay! I don't mind at all. :'D

The link worked, anyway! :D Though I suggest you add a " right before Funerals...not sure why that was omitted. o_o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:49
*confused* As in, the quote

*confused* As in, the quote went: "Right before funerals are for the living"?

Posted by The Velvet Touch on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:50
No...I meant--*looks at sig*

No...I meant--*looks at sig* O_O It seems to have fixed itself. XD Never mind, then.....heh-heh... :>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:55
Okay then. Shwell, I need to

Okay then. Shwell, I need to go to bed. 'Night, and thank goodness for lifesaving literary art.

Posted by The Velvet Touch on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:58
Sour dreams. ^_^ (...You get

Sour dreams. ^_^ (...You get that reference, right? o_o Yeah, you probably don't. *feels SO OLD* x_x) Sleep well! :D And you're too kind. :')

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 23:17
....O_O *notices your sig*

....O_O *notices your sig* WAIT A SECOND. I thought...I thought you were just going to use the quote, not actually put the link to this in your sig. *is shocked and beyond flattered* I...I don't know what to say... :'D asdfghjkl!! <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:39
I love your siggy!

I love your siggy! ^_^

~~~~

Posted by Error 3101 (Max) on Mon, 01/28/2013 - 22:41
Onc again...*points crooked

Onc again...*points crooked finger at prologue* amazing...... there is no CC. It's so detailed and your writing style outstands me. I know why you get so many comments cause you are truly truly an amazing author....

Posted by Magic Man (Kendra) on Tue, 01/29/2013 - 02:08
No CC? None at all? O_O This

No CC? None at all? O_O This is the worst Prologue I've ever written (and I write a lot of Prologues, let me tell you, for all kinds of stories I never mention on here).

My gosh, Kendra, I don't know what to say other than thank you. :')

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Tue, 01/29/2013 - 02:20
*Gasp*

*Gasp* :[________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________)

How in the world did I miss this! D:

This is just sadjafbljkvafnjkfvajnvfbjhvejnkef

and its also fhjesblbavfejnbvefnkjfednjk;vfenv

and epictasticalawesometacularllyamzingepic. :3

And the start is amazing about the whole only heroes get stories written about them and how you said that funerals are for the living and the last paragraph about the eyes and no colour and OHMAIGASH TYGER BREATH  YOU'RE SUFFOCATING IN THE AWESOMNESS!

(You right now: )

Im just letting you know, this is AMAZING. And hopefully my gifs expressed that :3

All it takes is a spark...

Posted by Tygerblossum on Wed, 01/30/2013 - 03:47
:'D The first GIF comment on

:'D The first GIF comment on this story!!!

OH MY GOSH! THANK YOU, TYGER!!! :D

XD You're not annoying at all! Don't worry about it! Your comment totally made my day!!!!!

EVERY SENTENCE IN THIS REPLY HAS AN EXCLAMATION POINT. 'CEPT THAT ONE! XD Calm yourself down, Ash. *deep breaths*

:'D I'm SO GLAD that you liked this, Tyger! It means so much to me. I sincerely hope you like the rest of the book, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 01/30/2013 - 14:21
:3 OHMAIGAWSH A TANGLED

:3

OHMAIGAWSH A TANGLED GIF

(Rapunzel = Me, Flynn = You.  XD)

:D Yay, Im not annoying! I made your day? IM SO GLAD :'D

I overuse exclamation marks. Most of the times its pretty obvious. XD I have to calm myself down a lot to. :3

The rest of the book will be brilliant. And you cant argue with me.

*le glares*

All it takes is a spark...

Posted by Tygerblossum on Thu, 01/31/2013 - 01:14
Stop being so awesome.

Stop being so awesome. You're going to crash the KP server. e___e

Posted by Sandy on Thu, 01/31/2013 - 01:07
*raises hand* Agreed.

*raises hand*

Agreed.

Posted by Magic Man (Kendra) on Thu, 01/31/2013 - 07:53
alkhgaelrgniv;aren/sfibaw/lrn

alkhgaelrgniv;aren/sfibaw/lrnv;biwarfslgb/LFBDALDFBV/ARIGH/SLKNV

I love this so much. It's brilliance and in a way, relatable. It's that moment when someone close dies and you think to yourself, 'nothing's going to be the same. It's not going to get better.' I love your writing, TheAshWolf. It's brilliance. I am typing this really slowly because I can't decide what to say because I am speachless. Which is a new sensation for me. xD I hope you write more of this because I will most definitely read it. :) Thanks for posting this, reading it made my day.

~evasong

P.S. You say your prologues are always quite dark-- why is that? Do you feel you can relate to the sadness behind you characters? I hope not.

"Curiouser and curiouser" - Alice, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

Posted by evasong on Wed, 01/30/2013 - 05:00
I'm SO glad you liked this,

I'm SO glad you liked this, evasong!!! I can't believe all the positive feedback I'm getting on this! O_O :'D You've made my day, too!!!!

I have no idea why they're always dark. o__o Maybe you're right--I CAN relate to the sadness behind each of my characters. Hmm...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Thu, 02/07/2013 - 14:38
This is amazing.

This is amazing. O-O
_______
LIVE reverse it boldly...

Posted by Magyk (TDC & Turtle) on Thu, 02/07/2013 - 16:05
e___e........................

e___e..........................That was amazing. 0_o HOW ON EARTH DID YOU DO THAT?????

gspwrifj wori aowrihthtioawhrotihawortih awre jgawRAERY AWRYO AWOHU RUAHWRGUOAW HROAWHG

THAT

WAS

BLOODY

FANTASTIC

My goodness, that was brilliant. *wipes sweat from brow* That was epyk.

Enuff said.

Posted by DarkHecklefang ... on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 17:02
Why do you people LIKE this

Why do you people LIKE this so MUCH?! O__O *cannot process all the attention I'm getting because of this* XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 22:59
I think it's like this: you

I think it's like this: you have tremendous talent, but you probably don't see this as "really good" because you set extremely high expectations for yourself, therefore you do not see it as greatly as we do.

Posted by DarkHecklefang ... on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 09:06
This is stupendously

This is stupendously amazing. ^_^  It is beautiful, and gives just enough information to make us want to read more, as should all prolouges. Too awesome.

It's true. Funerals really are for the living. That's what did it for me. I think I felt a little tear. My cousin... he was just in a box, a fifteen year old boy finally at peace. His funeral was to give a final farewell to him, but mainly to give his family closure.

Thank you so much for writing this. Those words, "Funerals are for the living.".... they send a chill down my spine.

Drink the poison of life.

Posted by Rour (Ellie) on Fri, 02/22/2013 - 17:41
I'm so sorry about your

I'm so sorry about your cousin! D: My deepest condolences.

I hope this didn't make you too sad. <:^/ Thank you so much, though, for reading and taking the time to comment!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by Antediluvian Canine on Fri, 02/22/2013 - 20:01
You don't be sorry; he had a

You don't be sorry; he had a sickness, and was always in pain, so now he's finally at rest. But thank you anyway.

And you should thank Velvet Touch for my reading, for because of the link in her bio and sig, I was able to read this.

Drink the poison of life.

Posted by Rour (Ellie) on Fri, 02/22/2013 - 21:36
Well, I'm glad he's no

Well, I'm glad he's no longer suffering. <:^/

O_0 She put it in her bio, too?! :'D I shall thank her for that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by Antediluvian Canine on Fri, 02/22/2013 - 23:00
*cries into pillow*

*cries into pillow*

Posted by Shadow Man on Wed, 08/14/2013 - 18:43
*hands you a box of tissues*

*hands you a box of tissues* I'm sorry you're sad. D: The story gets happier, I swear....

~~~

"And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and...even the lion will eat straw just like the bull." —Isaiah 11:6, 7

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 08/14/2013 - 23:42
I'm so glad so many people

I'm so glad so many people took the time to read this. You really deserve it Ash. This is fantastic, even if you aren't continuing it, and that quote will stay with me forever. Because when it all comes down to it- funerals are indeed, for the living.

Posted by Jack Kelly (Sophie) on Wed, 08/14/2013 - 21:57
I'm so glad that ANYONE

I'm so glad that ANYONE notices this at all...*sobs happily*

And, actually, I'm continuing it...I've written out an entire next chapter, and then half of another one after that. I've just been too busy to edit, and also I have noooo idea what I'm doing so I'm nervous... <:^D *flails awkwardly* I'll post it eventually. Thank you SO MUCH for that sig of yours. :'D I sincerely hope you of all people will follow this story once I regularly post its chapters.

~~~

Posted by TheAshWolf on Wed, 08/14/2013 - 23:41
This is really good but I

This is really good but I have one thing to say; Didn't someone in The Fault In Our Stars say "Funerals are for the living?" o_0 just saying...

Amy Pond: "Shall I run and get the manual?" The Doctor: "I threw it in a supernova." "You threw the manual in a supernova... why?" "Because I disagreed with it."

Posted by Bowties are cool. on Wed, 11/20/2013 - 23:44
I've actually never read The

I've actually never read The Fault in Our Stars. o.0 I've heard a lot about it (since it's apparently being made into a movie), but, I've never read it. So I really don't know what to tell you. <:^D I mean, I've heard some random people in my everyday life say that funerals are more for the family than for the person who died, and things to that effect. I know that's not a 100% original idea. I don't believe truths have to be original in that sense to be powerful, though--they carry their own power just by being true...especially the ones that are unspoken.

Thank you VERY much for calling this good, though. ^w^ I really appreciate you reading and commenting!

~~~

"The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb, and...the lion will eat straw like the bull." —Isaiah 11:6, 7

Posted by TheAshWolf on Thu, 11/21/2013 - 00:52
OK, thats totally fine. My

OK, thats totally fine. My point was, the work was overall amazing. :D I just noticed it and had to say something. (OCD, man. Legit. X-_-X)

Posted by Bowties are cool. on Thu, 11/21/2013 - 01:19