/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Plum | KidPub Press //
Plum

Plum

Posted January 12th, 2019 by JJKingInc

by hector-mae{HawkEye}
in sane. Enough said.

Heyhey, everybody!

I recently posted a little thing I came up with after finding the name Ashby on Nameberry (an excellent name source, if you are in need of one!). People found that really interesting, so I tried it again, and this happened!

This one isn't as vivid as Ashby, but I still like it. If nothing else, it's a fun little writinge exercise for days when bigger projects aren't coming together.

Enjoy!

Stay zesty,

Hawkeye

She was the type of girl who seemed too good to be true, if you were a mugger.

Everything looked expensive.

Pastel patent Doc Martens with gold glitter laces.

Bedazzled Beats that looked brand new.

Lace tights-- probably hand woven by the Oracle of Delphi herself, judging by the rest of her outfit-- under a silky pink miniskirt that showed a lot of leg. A chunky sweater that practically screamed “SOMEONE RICH DESIGNED THIS TO LOOK LIKE AN XXL MEN’S SWEATER FROM THE SHADY THRIFT STORE AROUND THE CORNER.” And last, but most definitely not least, a miniature sea green Louis Vuitton backpack held loosely by a single manicured hand.

I was beginning to wish I had the guts to grab it-- pay my rent for a solid year-- when the subway screeched to a halt and the doors opened with a woooosh of escaping air.

As we all jumbled off onto the platform, I kept my eye on her as best as I could above the sea of winter hats. She was tiny, 5’3” being a generous estimate, and my stomach grumbled as if encouraging me. “Just grab it!” it said. “You’ll be able to buy more food…”

I shook the thought out of my head as quickly as it came. I wasn’t going to stoop that low… at least not yet. Then, just as the crowd began to thin as they trudged up the stairs and out into the biting wind, it happened. A teenaged boy with all the confidence of a champion MMA fighter shoved her into the tunnel wall, knocking the miniature sea green Louis Vuitton backpack clean out of her hand. She pulled herself up on the wall with one hand as the boy smugly scooped up the bag and loped for the stairs.

I was just about to chase after him when she straightened up.

Her gaze was dangerous.

In a frighteningly small number of steps she was directly behind him, her pastel Doc Martens slamming into the back of his knees and sending him tumbling to the ground.

I raised a hand to my mouth in horror as I watched him flip onto his back, groaning, only for her to pin his arms to either side with her knees. Her fists made contact with his face once, twice, three times before she stood up. He was moaning in pain.

A flawlessly manicured hand picked up the backpack with the delicacy of royalty, then turned to reach out to the groaning boy.

“Here,” she said with a fair amount of vocal fry. “Get up. Don’t take people’s stuff next time, bud.” She looped his arm around her shoulder, shrugging it into place, and lifted him up. “There you go. Up the stairs, there’s a first aid kit on the right.”

I watched in awe of this event, struck dumb by the fact that it was even happening, and also that I had narrowly avoided the poor guy’s fate.

Then I saw the glint of a Rolex on his watch, and I suddenly didn’t feel as sorry for him.

The girl, though-- the girl was a surprise, to say the least. She seemed the prissy princess type until someone touched her stuff. Then bam, boxing champion, defender of the just. Or, at least, defender of her things.

I followed the pair up the stairs and hovered across the room as she plastered Band-Aids on his bleeding cheekbones. Once he was up and moving, she dusted off her clothes, adjusted her Beats, and was about to start walking away.

“Wait!” I called, not really thinking about what I was doing. “Wait, wait, come here-”

She turned and looked at me. She had blonde ringlets-- speaking of princesses-- and the darkest brown eyes I had ever seen. “What?” she asked, her vocal fry making her every word sound sharp with sarcasm.

“I-- sorry-- just, um, what’s… what’s your name?”

She smiled.

“Plum.”

See more stories by hector-mae{HawkEye}
This was well paced and

This was well paced and written, and seeing the fact that it's a chapter is awesome! Can't wait for more of this if you continue!

Posted by echo (*Jill*) on Mon, 01/14/2019 - 04:13
Oof, prematurely sent the

Oof, prematurely sent the comment. I was going to say, it would be super cool if you wrote about all these individuals from the names you find, then at the end all the characters meet (or it's revealed that there was a connection between each of them) for the finale!

Posted by echo (*Jill*) on Mon, 01/14/2019 - 04:17