/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ She Knew chapter 1 (NaNoWriMo) | KidPub Press //
She Knew chapter 1 (NaNoWriMo)

She Knew chapter 1 (NaNoWriMo)

Posted November 9th, 2014 by Emaafre

Emaafre's picture
by A.R. Johnson
in a world of pure imagination

2:48 pm

“Help!” I yelled, “Somebody help me!” I banged on the bathroom door, hoping for someone to find me.

“Ha ha, you had your laughs. Now let me out!” I screamed.

Everyone bullied me because of my weight. I was 5’8”, and I weighed 190-something pounds. I was a little on the chubby side.

Why did they care, anyway? Weight shouldn’t be a reason to lock someone in a bathroom with no way out.

“Someone, please!” I said, “Please get me out! I’ll miss my bus!”

~~~

4:52 pm

Two hours passed, and I was sitting by the door singing “Bohemian Rhapsody” over and over.

“Mamaaaaaa… ooooooh… didn’t mean to make you c—"

The janitor unlocked the door. “Oh. You again.”

(The response to seeing a depressed girl having been locked in the bathroom for two hours should NOT be, “Oh, you again.”)

I lifted my backpack off the ground and started walking out.

“Well, you sure can sing,” the janitor said, chuckling.

“Thanks,” I said dryly.

The school halls had emptied a long time ago. It was now almost 5 pm. Usually the halls were filled with people. Now they looked almost haunted.

I saw my dad and his girlfriend, Tracy, in the office.

“Hey, kiddo,” Dad said, “You doing alright? We got a call from the principal that you got locked in the bathroom.”

“Isn’t that wonderful,” I said sarcastically.

“What did you do to make these kids turn against you?” Tracy snapped. “You know, I had to cancel a meeting to come get you.”

Dad got nervous. “Let’s talk in the car,” he said, walking toward the door. “I don’t want to cause a scene.

So when we got in the car, Tracy kept bitching about me.

“You know, you need to make more of an effort to be liked by your peers. Have you considered losing weight?”

“Tracy,” Dad said, “Don’t you think that’s a little rude?”

“It’s the truth, John,” Tracy snapped, “She is overweight.”

“But she isn’t morbidly obese! She’s fine the way she is.”

“John, you have to get her an appetite decreaser. Her weight is ridiculous.”

“She’s right there you know!” Dad was raising his voice.

I twiddled my thumbs while they fought. We got onto the freeway and I pulled out my phone and looked at Tumblr.

It’s funny how I was somewhat famous on the Internet, but hated in real life.

“John, I saved you and your family financially! You never give me enough credit!”

“Well, you don’t give me enough credit for turning you lowly, miserable life into a good one, now, do you?!”

“Please shut up,” I muttered.

“Stay out of this, kid,” Tracy said.

Even the sound in my head of the composition I was writing for the school orchestra couldn’t drown out Tracy’s bickering and Dad’s defensiveness. The violin in my mind that was playing the music went flat.

“Both of you need to shut up…” I said.

“You need to shut up,” Tracy said.

“Hey! That’s my daughter you’re talking to!”

My hands shook. My legs went numb. “Shut up,” I said, “SHUT UP! BOTH OF YOU!”

~~~

Ry, my brother, graduated from high school a year before me. Ry was an average height for an 18 year old. He wore fake glasses a lot, claiming he was “hipster”. Sometimes I did, too.

Ry had two good friends, who also ended up becoming my friends as well. Gabby was very tall, naturally thin, and too perfect to have ever been friends with my brother, let alone me.

Then there was Sam. He had black hair with a single streak of purple in it. He was tall, but not as tall as Gabby. Something about him kept luring me in, even though we were practically from two separate worlds.

When I was almost 13, Ry, Gabby, and Sam were playing Call of Duty in the living room.

“No,” Sam said, “No. No! No! Gabby, there was obviously a grenade there!”

“Well excuuuuuse me, princess!” Gabby said.

“You suck at this game! I’m pretty sure Alexis would do better!”

I was a little lost. When had I told Sam my name?

“Fine!” Gabby said, putting down the controls.

I just stared.

“Well?” Sam said, “You gonna play or what?”

Ry was just sitting there smiling the whole time.

“Um,” I said, “Oh, what the hell. Give ‘em here,”

All I did was randomly shoot at things and somehow I was better than Gabby.

“Ry?” Sam said.

“Yeah?” Ry asked.

“Your sister is cool. Let’s keep her.”

From that moment on, I was good friends with Gabby and Sam.

Gabby was the one that introduced me to Ouran Highschool Host Club and lots of things in the anime world. She got me my first How to Draw Manga book, and even got me into cosplay (role-playing dressed as a character from something).

Remember earlier when I said Sam and I were from two different worlds? That was true. At first I just got little tastes of the world he lived in— the music, the sights, the sounds— then I was enveloped in his world of rock music and bands.

When I was 14, Sam and I were walking along the Boardwalk in the city of Coeur d'Alene when he showed me the tickets.

“Look,” he said.

"What..." I said.

"You told me you were really getting into Sleeping With Sirens, didn't you?" He smiled, and his hazel eyes sparkled.

"These must have been a fortune," I said, looking at the tickets. “How much were they?”

"I didn’t buy ‘em," he said, "a friend was gonna go, but something came up. So he gave the tickets to me. And woo-la! Here I am, begging you to go with me because I don't think Gabby would want to go to another one."

I laughed.

"Alex," he said, "You're gonna go?"

"Duh," I said, "Of course I'm gonna go."

Sam and I walked to the end of the Boardwalk and sat on the beach.

“Seriously, though,” he said, “I’m really excited we’re gonna go see them in concert.”

“Me, too,” I said.

I didn’t want to admit it at the time, but I was starting to fall for Sam.

(Word count: 1039 of 15000)

See more stories by A.R. Johnson