/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Swallows : Prologue | KidPub Press //
The Swallows : Prologue

The Swallows : Prologue

Posted February 28th, 2019 by ariee

by cacophony
in In my mind which seems that there is no way out.

a/n: Hey guys, this prologue is mostly unedited. If you like what you see, then feel free to check out my wattpad: @daley0 . Here's the direct link to the story.

Above is the cover :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a silent world, she wept.

She arose from the ground as a figure of stone and sorrow. Her hands clasped in an eternal prayer as delicately carved wings sprouted from her back. Forlorn was etched in a soft face as desolation glinted in her unblinking eyes. The angel was beautiful but undeniably sinister. In that crumbling courtyard, only patches of yellow grass and a small child breathed life into the cold, still air. As silent seconds ticked by, the uneasiness grew in the girl's stomach.

"Please." The girl whispered slowly as she reached the base of the statue. Aged only five or six, the child was tiny but her iron eyes spoke of a labored past.

Suddenly, an unearthly sound emerged from the angel's stone lips. At first, the noise was a soft purr but it transformed into a harsh, mechanical grinding. The statue began vibrating and the cobblestones beneath the girl shook. Terrified, the small child stumbled over the quivering earth and leaped upon the angel. She wrapped her fingers around the curve of a stone waist and held on tight.

A few moments passed and the shaking subsided as quickly as it came.

"Please," she begged of the statue as she pressed her face against its hard surface. Tears formed at the corner of her eyes and cascaded to the ground.

"My dear child. I can hear the sound of your pleas." A harsh, raspy response floated through the air. " But I cannot make out the words you speak. Come closer, dear child. Lacy. Come to me, Lacy."

Lacy abided by the command and climbed up the statue. She rose higher and higher until she was perched on its colossal stone wing. She brought her head down and said, " Please. Seraphim. My father says that you are good and pure. Please save me. I am His child."

"Oh, sweet Lacy. You're the one that is innocent and pure. I'll save you, child. I'll save you. I'll save you."

Out of glee, Lacy threw her arms around the angel's neck and ignored the rough impact. Then she planted a kiss on a smooth, stone cheek. As she did, a tiny red drop of blood trickled down from the eye of the angel. Lacy could taste the sour iron on her lips and drew back. Fear had now replaced her gratitude. Something was wrong. Deeply wrong.

"For you, my child." The angel spoke once more before it crumbled beneath Lacy's body. Suddenly, the small girl was plummeting to her death.

Lacy awoke in her bed, unharmed but disturbed. A scream echoed from her lips and the door to her room swung open. Her mother ran in and scooped Lacy up in her arms.

"It's okay, sweetheart," Her mother cooed as she stroked her daughter's raven hair. "Baby, it was just a nightmare. Tell me about."

"The angel, Mommy. I did what you said, Mommy. It not work." Lacy cried in between gasps.

"Oh, honey. That's alright. We will just have to try again next time the nightmare comes. Try to calm your breathing as we practiced, baby. That's it. That's it. Here, I'm going to tuck you into bed now." Her mother soothed as she swaddled her child in blankets. She tucked them tight and laid Lacy into bed. "There you go. My sweet swallow. Tomorrow, we will go to visit Daddy. How does that sound?"

A smile crept on Lacy's face and she nodded her head vigorously.

"Alright, go to bed now. I'll wake you up tomorrow."

Her mother kissed her forehead and the sweet child drifted off into a nightmare-less sleep. 

See more stories by cacophony
Wow, this is a great

Wow, this is a great prologue. Especially for something unedited. And I love the cover. 

I'll definitely check out ur wattpad c:

"Champion, I can take a beating, I'll rise again." - Barns Courtney

Posted by Unclever Re on Tue, 03/05/2019 - 00:38
Hey, thank you so much for

Hey, thank you so much for reading this! I'm going to also look at your works on Wattpad :). 

crescendo

Posted by cacophony on Tue, 03/05/2019 - 18:19