/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ ULTIMATES REWRITE: Book 3: The Artifacts of Electricity: (Chapter 9) | KidPub Press //
ULTIMATES REWRITE: Book 3: The Artifacts of Electricity: (Chapter 9)

Posted June 17th, 2021 by QuartzMaster

by UltimateOsaid

Here is chapter 9. 

Saturo breathed out as he closed the door of the entrance of the cottage. He looked around at the small living room space, but Kaze wasn’t in sight. Saturo looked around some more, peeping his head nervously into all the rooms. 

Then he found Kaze, floating in a criss cross position in the room. Kaze did not look normal. He was surrounded by his green aura, and the look in his eyes was grimacing. 

Saturo entered the room nervously, setting his foot on the dirt floor. Kaze glared at him but said no word. 

Saturo tried to figure out what to do. He’s never seen Kaze like this before, so he was unsure of what to do. 

“Uhh… Kaze?” Saturo then said. 

“What?” Kaze replied bluntly, and pretty aggressively at that.

“Are you okay?” Saturo asked. 

Kaze growled. “Does it look like I’m okay? No. So frick off.” 

“Mehrunes did help Draco up out of the crater, just so you know,” Saturo said. “He’s not that much of a prick. Draco doesn’t seem to dislike him either.”

“I don’t care,” Kaze replied. “I’m not mad because of that.”

“Then let’s talk, buddy,” Saturo said, slowly approaching Kaze. “Tell me how you feel.” 

Kaze watched Saturo closely, but let him get closer. Probably because he trusted Saturo since they were childhood friends. 

“So… what’s up?” Saturo asked. 

“They’re all jerks,” Kaze said. “They insult me. Do they think I’m stupid?”

“Well, no-”

“They do,” Kaze interrupted. “And it seems like I’m the newbiest of you all. Even if no one said that, everyone makes it seem like it.” He growled once he mentioned the word ‘newbiest.’ 

“That’s what you think?” 

Kaze looked at him. “I literally just said it. YES, THAT’S WHAT I THINK.” His voice raised a bit.

Saturo backed off a bit when Kaze raised his voice.

“And I’m not going to be a newbie anymore,” Kaze continued. “I made myself clear. I’m done. I’m done with this treatment. Everyone treats me like I’m inferior to them. And I’m sick of it.” 

“I don’t treat you like that,” Saturo pointed out. 

“Well of course. You’re my best friend. You wouldn’t.” Kaze growled. “But them. They don’t know me. They don’t care.” 

“I’m sure they do care… maybe not Mehrunes, but Encounter and Draco care,” Saturo said. 

“Do they?” Kaze inquired. 

“Yeah. They do.” Saturo nodded. 

Kaze remained silent for a few moments. Saturo thought of what to say. 

“What… what do you think about Emi?” Saturo then asked.

“I don’t care about Emi. She’s a jerk to me anyway,” Kaze replied. “Sure. I still like her. But she looks down on me. I have to get up to her level.”

“Well… I don’t know if that’d change any of her thoughts on you other than not call you a newbie,” Saturo commented. 

“I don’t care. I just want to prove myself. Prove that I’m better than what they think I am.”

Saturo hesitated. He didn’t know how to help Kaze. He wasn’t sure what to do. 

So he just stood there, a few feet away from Kaze.

“Is that all?” Kaze questioned. 

“No…” Saturo replied. “I just… don’t know what to say to you.” 

“Then don’t say anything.” 

Saturo was silent. 

Kaze continued. “You think there’s something wrong with me? Well there isn’t. I’m perfectly fine. I don’t need you to tell me anything.” He paused, and when Saturo didn’t say anything, continued. “You should leave.” 

Saturo sighed. “You’re probably just homesick. We both are. And we didn’t ask for this, even though training and becoming Ultimates is cool…”

“I’m not homesick. I want to get stronger. Home was boring.”

Saturo then just turned and began to leave. “I don’t know what to tell you, so I’ll just go, like you said.”

Kaze watched him as he left. But before Saturo made it out of the room, he called for him. 

“Wait.” 

Saturo turned his head.

“Sorry.” Kaze sighed, and his aura disappeared. He landed on the ground. “I just… I don’t know.” 

Saturo smiled softly. “C’mon. You should talk to everyone else. Stare will come back and train us too, after a bit.” 

Kaze shook his head. “No. I’m not going if that Mehrunes prick is there. He thinks he’s so high and mighty, telling me bull.”

Saturo didn’t argue since he could see Kaze’s point of view on that. Mehrunes did treat Kaze a bit harshly. Then again, Encounter did say he wasn’t very literate social wise. To a near non existent extent.

“He can apologize. I don’t think he’s that bad,” Saturo said.

“Hmph.” Kaze walked past Saturo. “Fine.”

Once Kaze walked out of the cottage, with Saturo right behind him, he saw Draco and Uchiho near the door, having eavesdropped on him. 

He turned towards them. “Did you hear everything?”

“Yeah…” Uchiho said, sounding a bit ashamed.

“It’d be hard not to,” Draco commented.

“Well good,” Kaze said. “Saves me from explaining myself.” He took a quick deep breath. “Look, I’m sorry for how I acted. But I’ve really had it. I hope you understand.”

“It’s fine,” Draco said simply. Uchiho just nodded. “I feel it’d be more important to apologize to Mehrunes after you exploded at him due to an accident I caused.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Kaze sighed. “I still don’t really like that guy. I thought he wouldn’t be such a prick since he was friends with Encounter.”

“Did he not tell you how he got so many scars?” Mehrunes said, from a few feet away where he was apparently sitting. “I don’t need your apology, Kaze. Conflicting ideals will conflict no matter what. But you don’t have any right to judge me.”

“Neither do you,” Kaze responded, looking over at Mehrunes.

“Oy vey.” Draco grumbled.

Mehrunes shrugged. “I think we’re even, as far as everything goes.”

“I think so too,” Kaze replied. “You do you, and I do me. I won’t hold a grudge or anything. You and I are just different altogether.”

“I would hope no grudges are held, I don’t have anything against him, and he threw me four feet into the dirt because my hand got too close to him,” Draco said.

“Yeah.” Kaze floated over to Mehrunes, but kept a small distance. “Either way, I still apologize. I hope we could be friends.” He stuck out his hand at Mehrunes.

Mehrunes stared at it.

“This is a handshake,” Kaze said. “It’s a friendly greeting. Not an attack.” 

“As long as he doesn’t shake it too hard,” Draco commented.

“‘Handshake’ sounds self explanatory, I guess. But that doesn’t change that I dunno what you want from me,” Mehrunes said.

“Just a handshake. And to forget about what happened earlier,” Kaze replied.

Mehrunes shrugged and grabbed Kaze’s hand. 

Kaze smiled as they shook hands. “We good?”

“Well, as good as someone like you and me could be,” Mehrunes replied.

“That’s good enough then,” Kaze said. 

“If you say so.” Mehrunes shrugged.

Stare then suddenly appeared in between everyone. He looked around at everyone who was there. Kaze, Saturo, Draco, Uchiho, Encounter, Jagged… and Stare noticed Mehrunes. 

“Oh hey there,” Stare then said. “Where’d you come from?”

“Space,” Mehrunes said bluntly. “And then I shoulder threw Draco into the ground, and then Kaze decided he didn’t like me, and now we’re cool or something.”

Stare raised an eyebrow. “And you are?”

“Mehrunes. I know Encounter,” Mehrunes replied. “And I’m better than him by a few miles.”

“I didn’t ask if you were better,” Stare said. “I-”

“And I didn’t ask if you like steak, or why you happened to be here for no apparent reason. But that didn’t stop me from telling you I was better than him now, did it?” Mehrunes said, before Stare could continue. “Why do either matter, anyway? It’s not like you care about either, you just want a more convenient thing to call me other than ‘hey you, the guy with the sword.’”

“Yes, you could say that. So you’re friends with Encounter.” Stare nodded, smiling. “Alright. Nice to meet you, Mehrunes.”

“Mmhmm,” Mehrunes replied.

“So you got the ship to Glare?” Draco asked Stare.

Stare nodded. “Yep. He’s going after the artifacts, trying to get some of them before Dakure can.”

“What kind of artifacts?” Mehrunes asked quizzically.

“Electric Artifacts,” Stare answered. “But that doesn’t concern us. Now that I’m back, I can get to teaching those three how to sense energy.”

Mehrunes tilted his head to one side.

“They have these crystal things that they can use to do stuff, it’s different from our magic, they absorb them and… yeah,” Encounter told him.

“Yes. Ultimate Crystals are pretty useful to learn abilities, as it’s very hard to without them,” Stare said. “So you and Encounter could just watch in the meantime.”

“What do the crystals look like?” Mehrunes asked.

“Like this.” Saturo unabsorbed his Ultimate Crystal and showed it to Mehrunes. It was colored blue and was radiating and glowing like crazy.

“Oh, yeah I think I have one of those actually,” Mehrunes said, casually taking something out of his pocket. It was a crystal that resembled Saturo’s, glowing and radiating the same way. The only difference was the color. Mehrunes’ was dark green instead of a light blue. Encounter looked unimpressed.

“Oh.” Stare looked down at Mehrunes’ Ultimate Crystal with a smile. “Well then you can attend the lesson, if you want.”

Mehrunes shrugged. “Sure.”

“I bet energy sensing is gonna be super useful!” Draco said excitedly, to most of the others amusement.

“It is!” Stare smiled. “Just like hiding energy, sensing energy is very useful. It allows you to detect living things, and can be used to track people, though it’s rather difficult at first.”

“So then how do we do it?” Kaze questioned.

“Maybe it’s like hearing or something? A sense?” Uchiho suggested.

“Kinda,” Stare said. “It’s like a sense. Most human races have it as their sixth sense, and don’t need an Ultimate Crystal. Though it’s difficult to learn. So most people use their crystals to learn it, which is what you four will be doing today.”

As Stare was talking, Mehrunes was examining his Ultimate Crystal. Stare glanced over at him. 

“You absorb it. Bring it close to your body,” Stare told him.

“That is the least descriptive thing since… ah nevermind. Close to my body, eh?” Mehrunes pondered, as he just… did that. 

The crystal then sort of entered Mehrunes’ body, being absorbed. Mehrunes’ face then lit up. 

“Sentinel is here, and reporting for duty,” Mehrunes’ Ultimate Crystal, Sentinel, spoke to him in his mind.

“At ease,” Mehrunes replied tentatively. “This is trippy, but I’m okay with it.”

“Would you like to sense energy?” Sentinel asked Mehrunes, as Stare was talking to Kaze, Saturo, and Draco about how to do it. 

“Absolutely,” Mehrunes replied.

“Alright…” Mehrunes felt his body… slightly changing. “There we go, sir! I’ve modified your body, and you are now capable of sensing energy! You can try it out now, if you would like.”

“Huh. Not bad. Sentinel, was it? That’s pretty slick,” Mehrunes thought.

“Yes sir!” Sentinel replied. “Try it out! See if you can sense the energy sources surrounding you.”

Mehrunes did try. He could feel the energy of everyone around him. Stare, Kaze, Saturo, Draco, Uchiho, Encounter… even Jagged was emitting energy. 

Out of all of them, Mehrunes could sense that Stare’s energy was the highest. Mehrunes nodded to himself, pretty impressed by this new ability he had just acquired. 

“Well that was worthwhile,” Mehrunes said out loud, not bothering to care if anyone was currently talking.

“What was worthwhile?” Saturo asked, turning to Mehrunes. 

“I guess he already got it,” Draco said, looking a bit surprised.

“What!? Already!?” Kaze exclaimed. 

“Let’s see, hey Mehrunes, can you tell us which of the three of us has the highest energy?” Draco asked. “You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“It’s pretty even, somehow,” Mehrunes replied, before focusing a bit. “Satu feels like a tad more, though.”

“Probably because he uses electricity,” Draco said. “And that neither me or Kaze are actively trying to release more energy.”

“Really? I think it’s because of the chips he’s digesting,” Kaze commented with a snicker.

“But I haven’t eaten chips lately!” Saturo said. 

“That’s cause we made sure you ate some fruit for once,” Draco said.

“Well, yeah,” Saturo replied. “But still.”

“Anyway, if we were talking maximum energy output possible, I’d eclipse you two easy,” Draco said with a slight smirk.

“Well yeah. Cuz of Sparking Spirit.” Kaze chuckled.

“And because my ‘cyan iris state’ thing or whatever exudes a bit more energy too,” Draco pointed out.

“You guys should probably focus back on Stare teaching you how to do that yourself,” Uchiho commented with a slight laugh as Stare was waiting to continue explaining.

“Oh yeah,” Kaze said, looking back at Stare. “What else do we have to do?”

Stare cleared his throat. “Use your Ultimate Crystal. Try to tap into that sixth sense. It’s more you three experimenting than actually learning it. So just give it a few tries.”

“Right,” Draco said as the three of them then closed their eyes and started to focus. 

Mehrunes, Uchiho, Encounter, and Jagged just stood there and watched as the three of them tried to figure out how to sense energy; how to tap into their sixth sense.

Nothing had happened yet so far.

It was quiet except for the wind and the sounds of the forest that was around them. 

“Alright, I’ll give you a small tip that might help…” Stare then said. “Try to ignore the other five senses, and focus mainly on the sixth.”

The three of them then tried to put that advice to work.

They had already closed their eyes, so sight was gone. Taste wasn’t being focused on either. So they tried to ignore the sounds around them, the feeling of the breeze and the sun, and to control their breathing as to not get distracted by the scents of the forest around them; breathing through their mouths as opposed to their nose.

They had to focus on separating their minds from their five senses and focus on the sixth. Kaze and Draco still couldn’t feel anything. They just felt like they were in blank space, but Saturo felt something… a sort of… mental twitching sensation.

He could feel something about Stare. Something that was not there before. 

His energy. Saturo was able to sense Stare’s energy.

“I… I think I got it!” Saturo exclaimed. He opened his eyes and looked at Stare, who smiled at him. Turning to Mehrunes, Encounter, and Uchiho, he could sense their energy too. Even Jagged! “Yeah! I got it!”

Then, he focused a bit more and could begin to sense different levels of energy around him, like how Mehrunes did. 

“Nice job, Saturo.” Stare grinned. He then looked over at Kaze and Draco. “You two keep at it. You’ll get it eventually.”

Draco took in another breath, he looked like he was trying both to relax and focus at the same time. Meanwhile, Kaze just tried to focus harder. 

They were clearly taking different approaches to this.

Draco was trying to focus yet isolate himself from his senses in a calm manner, while Kaze was taking what seemed to be a much more rushed and blunt approach, as if he was trying to force his senses away as quickly as possible. 

Stare watched them with a smile, knowing that both approaches could result in success. 

After a few moments, both Kaze and Draco felt that mental twitching sensation. They started to feel the energy around them. 

“Is… is that it?” Kaze then opened his eyes. They widened once his senses slowly became stronger. He could sense everyone’s energy around him. “It is!”

“Good job on getting it first out of the three of us, Satu!” Draco said. 

“Haha, it wasn’t that hard,” Saturo replied, rubbing the back of his head. “I think I just happened to get it first. By luck.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Draco said with a smile. 

“Yes, it may have not been luck. You might have actually just figured it out first,” Stare said. “But either way, the three of you did well. Now you know how to hide and sense energy!”

“Now we can be more effective at hiding and better at avoiding sneak attacks and other stuff,” Draco said. 

“Yes, now you have six senses that you can use for your benefit.” Stare nodded. “That’s all I had for a lesson today. You’ll be spending the night here with me for a few days so… do whatever you want until night time.” 

“Sounds good to me,” Kaze said. “I’ll go for a walk.”

“Oh! Mind if I join you?” Saturo asked him. 

Kaze shrugged. “If you want to.” 

“I’ll stay here,” Draco said, walking over to Encounter, Jagged and Uchiho. 

As Kaze and Saturo started walking off to get some fresh air, everyone else remained in their spots, wondering how they were going to spend the rest of their day.

To be continued in the next chapter...

See more stories by UltimateOsaid