/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Whispers Of The Sky-Chapter 1 (please comment-ima put my soul into this book) | KidPub Press //
Whispers Of The Sky-Chapter 1 (please comment-ima put my soul into this book)

Posted December 8th, 2022 by ElizieAngelina

by Agent 4

Chapter 1: Angel

"Agh!" I yelp as my eyes flash open to a loud "Surprise!" that actually sounds...all too familiar. I try to regain conciousness of where I am. I see my room, streamers, and...

Oh, right! It's my birthday.

"Happy birthday, Angel!" I hear from one of the girls surrounding me. Her name is Yumi. The girl next to her is Akko, and she's giggling. She rarely giggles unless it's big. "O-okay," she says between laughs, "that's enough, guys. Let's just give Angel some space." I shake my head with all my strength. "No!" I yell. "It's okay. Y-you can keep doing that." All of the girls look at each other before streaming, and saying, "Happy Birthday!" again.

After a few minutes, the short party is over. "So, Angel," another girl, Claire, says, "what do you wanna do for your birthday?" I rub my hand on my face, brushing past my long pink/sky blue hair. "Erm..." Suddenly, one more girl, Florence pops up. "Ooh, how about we go downtown?" To this, Akko facepalms. "Florence, please let Angel choose," she says. "Aww, Akko, stop being such a party pooper!" Yumi says. "Downtown sounds REALLY good for her birthday."

Honestly, I didn't have anything in mind until Florence's suggestion. "Hrm...okay," I say. "We'll go at 6 PM." All of the girls nod. "Okay!" Yumi questions, "But what do you wanna do in the meantime?" I rub the sleep out of my eyes and burst, "Well, a birthday breakfast wouldn't hurt? How about...Dennys?" Everyone nods again. "I'll order," I continue. At that moment, I hear the doorbell ring. I get the robe hung on my bedframe, and very slowly walk through the penthouse to the front.

I crack open my curtains. It's our last member, Aoi, holding a present and waving. I open the door for Aoi to yell, "Hi, Angel! Happy birthday!" The present is wrapped in paper, and not actual wrapping, but I'm not going to judge her for that. "Hi, Aoi!" I exclaim. "Come inside!" Aoi nods quickly, and she comes inside, closing the door behind. "So," I say, "How's life in Christmasland?" She tilts her head to the side. "Honestly, it's just been super cold."

Her face is kind of sweaty. "Oh, you can take off your suit," I say. Aoi takes off her Santa-inspired suit, to reveal a short, fluffy tank top underneath, keeping her skirt and tights on. "I'll just set it right here," Aoi remarks as she puts the present on our couch. "I was thinking you could join us for breakfast," I say. "How about it?" Aoi rubs her face, brushing past her pigtails. "Sure!" she finally says. "I'm ready when you're ready."

"I'll be ready soon," I say again. "You can wait here." Aoi sits on the couch as I rush back up tthe stairs and into my bedroom, where everyone is still waiting. "Who was it?" Claire asks. "It was Aoi," I say. "Aoi?" Akko asks. Then she whines-asks, "Can I go see Aoi? Pleeease?" I nod. "I don't see why not." Akko rushes out of the room, her white dress flying behind. Claire's coat is tied around her waist, and Florence's coat is just in her bedroom.

...Why am I talking about coats now? This story isn't about coats!

"So, I'll get ready," I say. "Guys, you probably should go." Everyone nods in understanding and heads to the front. I take off my robe and nightgown, and put on my black tank top, hoodie, skirt, and heels. I use this form to disguise myself in public, because I teach at the girl's school, just not as their teacher. I don't keep my hair hidden in places like Downtown, though. I just get a different outfit. I make my bed, brush my teeth and hair, and head down to the front. 

"Again, happy...18'th birthday, Angel," everyone cheers. Oh! I forgot to tell you! We don't age. We never age. We're like, almost immortal, but not quite. Because we came from dreams, we only die as soon as our creator dies. At the moment, I giggle. "Yep," I say. "I'll be going to Dennys to pick up the food. Who wants to be with me in the front?" Akko's face scrunches up. "I'm scared of being in the front seat." Claire's hand goes up. "Sure, I'll go. I love the front." 

My mind twists at this idea. Although we're immortal, Claire is the youngest of our group, only 14. But she does love the front, so... "Okay, let's get in the car. Yumi, Akko, Florence, Aoi, you wait here." They nod. We exit the penthouse and unload into the car. "Okay, Claire," I say. "Are you excited?" Claire nods happily. We zoom off towards Dennys to get pickup. When we enter, a man who looks to be about 20 says, "Ohhh. Look who's here."

I giggle. "Happy birthday, Angel," the man says. 

Yeah. We're popular.

"So, you ordered this meal?" the man says, showing the check-in to me. I nod. "Okay," he says. "Your order is ready." He goes into the kitchen and then comes out with two bags. "This is your order. Have a wonderful birthday," he remarks one last time as we leave. We begin speeding towards the penthouse again. As we enter, I say, "Here's breakfast!" Everyone's eyes widen. "Oooh! Gimme!" Yumi bursts up from the couch. "Let's run together!" Florence says.

Side-by-side, they run to the dining room.

Today is going to be a good day.

~~~

Finally, it's 6 pm, time to go downtown. "Are you ready?" I ask one last time. Everyone's coats are on as they nod, and I'm no longer wearing my usual black-and-white clothes. We all rush out to the car. And that's when I realize- the car is only for 5 people, and all 6 of us are here. We can't squeeze in-between. "Let's just get another car in our lot," I say. I then discover-the limo we got earlier can fit all of us. "Why didn't I think of it sooner?!" I beg angrily.

We hop into the car. "So, who wants to play a song?" I ask. Yumi says, "I have a phone! Maybe I could play that Elvira song or something." Akko warns, "No. NO. If you play that song, Yumi, I swear, I will be leaving this car." Too late. Yumi's phone is already out. She pops on the song. "Nooooooooo!" Akko yells, and plugs her ears. Florence and Yumi are hysterically singing, and their tones can tell they're excited. Meanwhile, Akko is leaning on Aoi's shoulder, and vice versa.

Claire is just nodding her head in the back, a look of content on her face. I'm not even mad, because this is basically our radio. I open the windows, letting the fresh Los Angeles air slap our faces. Florence sticks her head out the window, next to Yumi. "YEAH!" they both scream into the becoming-night sky. Stars are beginning to bud, and my happiness only increases as we begin heading downtown. Everyone is still screaming happily...

until the car begins shaking.

"W-what's going on?" Aoi asks, nodding her head up.

Akko's hand is clutched in Aoi's, her face clouded and confused. "I don't know..."

"This is not natural for our limo to shake like this," Claire says, standing up a bit.

Suddenly, our limo bounces into the sky, still connected to the ground.

Florence lets out a noise that sounds like shrieking and sobbing at the same time.

Yumi is just screaming. Nothing can stop her.

Suddenly, the glass in the Los Angeles windows shatter. Glass rains to the ground, and on the confused people. "Guys, STAY DOWN," I say. Everyone ducks as, reflected in the open glass, something that looks like a giant, disgusting mist is in the sky. I close the windows of our limo, which are already cracked. "Guys, use anything to block the windows in the back," I warn. The girls get back up and use random things to hold the windows.

I exit the car slowly. Very slowly, again.

"Wand Command!" I yell. My wand flies to my side, clutched in my grasp. The mist is flying towards me, and it's way, WAY bigger than I thought it would be. I attempt to use all my spells, but nothing works. The mist is nearly undefeatable. I groan in anger and throw my wand into the back of the limo as I re-enter. 

"Hold on to your hats, guys," I warn, clearly frightened.

I stomp on the gas, and we zoom across the road, which is being destroyed behind our feet. The ride is so bumpy, as we go up and down, up and down, up and down. Everyone's clinging close to each other as we bump. Suddenly, the bumping stops, but the stars in the sky are gone, replaced by gas and broken buildings. Claire's on the verge of tears-it is her home, after all. "It'll be okay, Claire," I say. "It'll be okay. It'll be okay. It'll be okay..."

But even here, my words are like soup.

As soon as we enter the penthouse, I say, "Guys. Use anything and everything you can to block the windows, doors, ANYTHING." The girls nod and begin sealing the curtains everywhere. In the front, in their rooms, anything and everything. I unload all the things in our cupboards, fridges, and the like. Salty tears are streaming down Claire and Florence's faces, Yumi and Akko are on the verge of a panic attack, and Aoi looks very troubled.

"Okay," I say. "Guys, we're going to have to stay here until someone comes. I can't deal with that mist. I'm sorry." At this, Claire puts her face into her hands. Tears are forming in my own eyes. Will we make it?

~~~

4 hours later, no new news, only the fact Los Angeles is completely unsafe and that you need to hide somewhere. "Guys, we gotta go to bed," I say. "Hopefully, in the morning, things will get better." Through tears, the girls nod, and head up to their rooms. I turn off the TV and put my nightgown back on.

Worst birthday ever.

See more stories by Agent 4
oh man, thats a good story.

oh man, thats a good story. nice job!!

Posted by Dust on Mon, 12/12/2022 - 10:56
awe thanks! :D

awe thanks! :D

Posted by Elizabeth on Mon, 12/12/2022 - 11:11