//
Chime

Chime

Posted August 4th, 2015 by EmilyMc

A Book Review by Meowing (Emily)
in Washington

Franny Billingsley
5

In the book Chime, a teenage girl named Briony Larkin lives a sad life. Her twin sister Rose needs to be taken care of- she screams in public, asks for stuff she knows she can't have and says that Briony has no birthday. Their mother died at child birth, and the stepmother died from being ill.

It only gets worse- Briony is a witch, and people don't like witches who can see the old ones. Anyone who has been accused, went through a trail and has been told she is a witch will be hanged. Stepmother told Briony to never let anyone find out- and that she should never talk to the spirits and old ones again, for it will only add danger to other people's lives.

Everyday Briony forces herself to remember to hate herself for everything she has done. Stepmother was kind enough to explain that when Briony was jealous of Rose, that she called Mucky Face, who is a body of water to break stepmother's spine, and other things that have happened. 

But a London boy man named Eldric comes to town, with his eclectic eyes, and high spirit. He let's Briony see herself like she never has before, and comes to realize that Rose has been there all along for Briony.

Chime is a wonderful book, that made me teary eyed and want to read it over and over again. I would highly recommend this book!  

See more stories by Meowing (Emily)