/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Crispin | KidPub Press //
Crispin

Crispin

Posted April 19th, 2013 by erlomolomo

A Book Review by Emily

Avi
1

The charming protagonist of this award winning novel has aquired many nicknames from me, including;

Mustard Boy. Mullet Man. Asta's-Son-of-a-@%$#&. The Snotous Fleece. King Idiot.

(*spoilers*)

Plot: In 1377 England, a 13-year-old boy, known only as Asta's Son, lives as a peasant in the small village of Stromford. His village is part of the territory of the feudal Lord Furnival in whose absence is under the control of the steward, John Aycliffe. When his mother dies, Asta's Son is left alone as he has no other known relatives. Shortly afterwards, John Aycliffe falsely accuses him of theft, and declares him a Wolf's Head, one who may be killed on sight. Asta's Son turns to the village priest, his only friend, who gives to him a lead cross that belonged to his mother, and reveals that his true name is Crispin. The priest promises to reveal to Crispin the truth of who his father was, but before he can, Aycliffe's men murder him, forcing Crispin to flee the village by himself, pursued by the steward.Crispin has no knowledge of the world, and no useful skills. Crispin spots an abandoned village. He goes into the church and spots Bear. Bear claims him and Bear becomes his master. A few weeks passed by. One day He spotted Crispin's lead cross. Bear asks to view the writing on the lead cross but refuses to tell Crispin what the words say, although Crispin realizes that it is very important.Bear is rough with Crispin, but during their travels together, a true bond of friendship develops between them. Bear eventually asks if Crispin will become his apprentice, to which Crispin happily agrees. Posing as father and son, the two travel towards the city of Great Wexly. It is the capital city of Lord Furnival's lands, Bear insists that he has important business to complete there. When they arrive they find troubles waiting for them. The last part of the story covers their time in Great Wexly.

The third sentence of this book is (talking about his mothers burial) Our burden was not great. In life she had been a small woman, with little strength. Death made her even less. Talk about heartless! The whole book is like that, by the way.

Charecters: A charecter, and a personality are very different. To create strong charecters, a writer must make several different personalities, one unique to each charecter. However, I have read published books in which there are 2 to 3 personalities, spread out through all charecters. This makes the story flat and uninteresting. This book has a mere 1 personality. Idiot. Who would react strongly to learning that his mother could write, but not a single fearful thought when the steward throws a sword at his face? Crispin! Who would carry around a sword even if they cannaot kill an unmoving teen with mommy problems? The Steward! I was forced to read this book. 0/10

Concept: Do you like books with concept? They make books unique, interesting, and sleek. This book has none. 0/10

Conflict: Presented by an idiot. Executed by idiot charecters. Effects idiot protagonist. I guess that all levels out then. 0.1/10

Genre Elements: This book sounds like it was written in 1377, by guess what? Idiots. 0/10

Idiot Count: 6

If thyself is intrigued by morbid curiousity, lsten to the free version below

http://www.avi-writer.com/books/books/crispinaudio.html

See more stories by Emily
a one?   poor

a one?

poor avi.

+~+ViyletTwyle+~+

Posted by Viylet Twyle / ... on Fri, 04/19/2013 - 20:14
I agree the book wasn't

I agree the book wasn't great, and if I hadn't had to, I probably would have never finished it. However, I think this is a bit harsh. The heartless element you described to be unrealistic set the scene of the way people were back then. It was a different time where life was hard and extracted little kindness from the people. But I do agree the characters needed development and the plot was predictable and flat.

Posted by Ember on Sun, 04/21/2013 - 18:52
It was fiction. I'd rather

It was fiction.

I'd rather enjoyment rather than realism.

In the night, the stormy night, she closed her eyes. In the night, the stormy night, away she flies.

Posted by Emily on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 18:45