//
Of Crow and Claw

Of Crow and Claw

Posted August 12th, 2015 by CarabellaGrace

A Book Review by clara
in my bedroom, trying to write.

Jesse (or Jesterboy)
5

Summary (may contain spoilers): Of Crow and Claw is the story of a boy named Peter, who's somewhat different from other kids. Peter's father has gone away to Afghanistan after his friend was killed in 9/11, and he's teased by a boy named Ryan at school. School is hard for him. Not a lot has happened in the story thus far, but the characters are developing really, really well (more about that later) Most of the book is made up of flashbacks and present tense that are interlocked beautifully.

Good Points:

• The characters. As the story moves along, they are developing masterfully, with more stories and traits unfolding with each chapter. I can't wait to see more of each of the characters, especially Peter and his mother. (+2 stars)
  • The writing. It's excellent. Peter, as I said, isn't your typical kid. He gets distracted easily and doesn't think in straight lines, but all over the place, going back to memories and incidents that have happened in the past. How do I know this? From the writing. Although it can be choppy, you know that that is the way Peter is thinking, and it still manages to make sense. (+2 stars)
  • The originality. I've never read a book like this one, and I've never really heard of one like this, either. I want to read more, find out what happens next. It's very well done. (+1 star)

Not-so-good Points:

• Like I said earlier, some of the writing is a little choppy. Also as I said earlier, it's made clear that that is the way Peter is thinking, and you can still have a hold on what is happening. However, it can get a little confusing, but I don't think it's a big deal and the author, who seems very capable, should have no problem fixing this. (-.5 star)

Overall Review: Rich with characters, originality, and writing that's refreshing and interesting to read, I honestly have no idea where this story is going and am excited to see what happens next. I would totally recommend this to anyone, it's very well-written and sucks you in right away. You won't be able to stop yourself from clicking on the next chapter :D

Final Rating *drumroll please*: 4.5 STARS!

Advice for the Author: First of all, keep doing what you're doing. Post more, also. And maybe try to make the writing a little less choppy if you can help it, but I also understand that it's the way Peter thinks, so it's not a big deal. :) 

****

If you want a review, click here.

See more stories by clara