/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Guardians of the Galaxy (minor spoilers) | KidPub Press //
Guardians of the Galaxy (minor spoilers)

Posted August 5th, 2014 by MandM

A Book Review by Mina-not-the-Mongoose
in song

MU
4

Like the 2009 "Star Trek" had begun, you'll cry your eyes out in the first five minutes and you'll be on the edge of your seat for the rest of the show- and you'll love it.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is the latest installment in the Marvel Universe and I predicted it was simply an appetizer to hold off the Marvel fans until "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron" was released; little did I know that this movie would not only meet, but expand beyond my expectations.

It begins with the abduction of a young boy whose mother has just died; he's raised as a bounty hunter and self-proclaimed hero who calls himself Star Lord- his actual name is Peter Quill, and he's a loner raised by control-freak ravenger Yondu and has a knack for money and ladies. He finds himself in the middle of a war, where fanatic Ronan, who leads the Kree army, is out for vengeance against the Nova Empire. The Nova Empire seeks peace, but Ronan- and his benefactor, Thanos- seek to destroy it because of a peace treaty signed by the Kree and the Nova Empire. As Peter Quill makes a jail break with new friends, he and the rest of the main cast learn that friendship is true power.

Aside from Peter, the five main are Gamora, the master assassin and warrior who hates her adoptive father, Thanos; Drax, a brawler who seeks revenge for his dead wife and daughter; Rocket, a raccoon-like experiment with a thing for machinery and heavy guns; and Groot, Rocket's best and most trustworthy tree friend who is the muscle as well as the heart of the group. These unique characters from Marvel's comics not only perform well in action (where every individual brings exciting choreography and mastery of their skills) but they also perform well with the emotional aspect.

I enjoyed this movie because this group of Guardians seemed more bonded than the Avengers; the bond between any two Guardians seems, for lack of better wording, 'better' than any two of the Avengers. I saw more in-depth relationships between Drax and Groot, or Gamora and Rocket than I did with Tony Stark and Clint Barton, or Natasha and Thor. I've said once that the emotional aspect of this movie truly reached me, and I mean it. Each character's relationship is defined and well written; their interactions speak volumes and I was surprised by the heart put into this movie, once I got past the dirty jokes and constant cursing.

With a sensible PG-13 rating and nearly two hours of action, space-travel, and Marvel lore, I rate this movie at least a 4.5 out of 5. Aside from the dirty jokes, some language, and violence in some intense scenes, I would say this is a movie that nearly anyone could enjoy- I know I did! I will be glad to see the sequel and I am not disappointed in Marvel's latest addition.

~Mina

See more stories by Mina-not-the-Mongoose
I saw this movie recentally

I saw this movie recentally and absolutely loved it! I completelly recommend this movie!

laugh-smile-dream-hope- what I go by in my life -

Posted by ~{gem}~ on Wed, 08/06/2014 - 00:44
I've went to the theatre to

I've went to the theatre to see this movie in 3D and it became my alltime favorite (yes, even slightly better than Frozen).  So just today (the same week as the first time) I went to see it again, and loved it just as much. 5/5 Stars. Best marvel movie. I agree with what you said about the guardian's relationships. The humor was amazing, and the entire movie was just ... perfection.

Posted by Garrett al'Thor on Wed, 08/06/2014 - 19:06
Thank you both for your

Thank you both for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the movie as much as I did, and I totally agree! \^o^/

~Mina

Posted by Mina-not-the-Mo... on Wed, 08/06/2014 - 21:27
I saw this a month ago with

I saw this a month ago with my friend. It was awesome. I'm now hoping for a sequel.

I think of my enemies not as enemies, but as people who don't get me and can't handle me. -Scarlett Hunter

Posted by hv39clues on Mon, 02/02/2015 - 17:50