/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Harry Potter | KidPub Press //
Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Posted June 9th, 2013 by gracemail37

A Book Review by Grace
in New Hampshire

J.K Rowling
2

Harry Potter starts out as a series full of wizards, witches, and wonder. But in book #5 turns into a death match where great characters are killed. By book #7 it's a miracle that Harry isn't dead! Speaking of Harry Potter, well not much to day about him other than he's used. So many books have used that kind of hero!!!!!!

Arrrgggggg!!!!! Get a new idea for god sake! Don't even get me started on his attiude. Now I see the Voldemort in him.

Take my advice, if someone asks you to read that series, run and hide under a rock.

COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!!!surprise

See more stories by Grace
Reading Harry Potter is a

Reading Harry Potter is a complete waste of time? Lets look at characters first, yes? Yes. :) We have dearest Ronald Weasley, the shadowed friend with the quirky nature that is continuously loyal and crushing hard on dearest Hermione Granger, the smarted witch of her age, without which Harry James Potter would not be able defect Lord Voldemort, an anagram of his real name, Tom Marvolo Riddle, who couldn't love because he was conceived under a love potion. And the twins, constantly in trouble. And Charlie Weasley who never married because he was so in love with dragons. And Molly, motherly lover that defeated the deranged cousin of Sirius Black, named after the brightest star in thes sky, also known as the Dog Star, Bellatrix LeStrange. And Dudley, the bully that Harry was forced to live with. Neville, the bravest, most adorable hero you could ever read about. And how about our dear friend, Seamus Finnigan? Constantly blowing himself up and always making us laugh! And Lily Evans, whose Patronus was a doe, meaning that she was literally the soul mate of James Potter, who's Patronus and Animagus form was a stag. And dearest Remus Lupin, leading Harry to the only family he had left, the werewolf, Moony. Or Pansy Parkinson, whom the author herself hated! Think about all this! All the fan fictions. DRAMIONE! DRARRY! WHATEVER OUR WONDERFUL, FANDOM MINDS COULD COME UP WITH!!! OUR BILLION OF FANDOM MINDS!!!!! And the plot and the twists and the hidden 'Easter Eggs' like the Battle of Hogwarts being based the year the first book was published 'I open at the close'? What about them? I'm explaining to you why I like the books, now you explain to me why you don't.

Posted by evasong on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 05:40
I, personally, love Harry

I, personally, love Harry Potter and completely offended by this post. :\

By the way, you also need to work on your reviewing skills. Point out things you liked, and things you didn't. Go into depth. Tell us about the plot.

~*~I used up all my sick days, so I called in dead.~*~

Posted by Winry Rockbell ... on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 19:03
Why is it a complete waste

Why is it a complete waste of time? Explain a little, please. You're just mindlessly bashing a great book series without any reasons as to why you think that. Try and edit this so it becomes a proper review. Right now, THIS is just a complete waste of time. 

Posted by Sir Boredom (Owen) on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 19:30
Hold up just one second. I'm

Hold up just one second.
I'm not going to go into detail because it's almost 2am, so I'll summarise what I find wrong with this.
Harry Potter is one of the best, if not THE best, selling book series of all time. It has a fanbase of billions of people worldwide, has been made into a successful film franchise, has earned J K Rowling millions of pounds, has broken records in terms of sales... I could go on.
Now, just think: if the plot line or character development wasn't good, do you really think it would have become this successful? There is a reason it became so popular.
Let's examine how books become popular nowadays (generally):
1. It's a romance story.
A lot of people are into romance nowadays. That's what made books like Twilight, and even Fifty Shades of Grey, so popular - people love reading soppy fiction.
2. It's well-written.
I'm not saying romance can't be well written, but let's just focus on non-romantic fiction here. Genres like fantasy or historical are becoming harder and harder for authors to find success in - unless a book is extremely well-written, with in-depth characters and a rollercoaster plot with no plot holes.
Harry Potter is not a romance book - it's a fantasy story. How, if it was written badly, would it have achieved such popularity, seeing as it is not a romance - the preference of the general (especially teen) population?
Secondly, name one book written and published BEFORE Harry Potter that used the same kind of hero and become as successful within the same span of time. You can't. Or, if you somehow have managed to, does the story relate to the HP plot? I doubt it. J K Rowling was the first person to combine this kind of hero with this kind of book.
Thirdly, OF COURSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SEE LORD VOLDEMORT IN HIM - BECAUSE A PIECE OF VOLDEMORT'S SOUL IS LITERALLY IN HARRY. That is a MAJOR part of the storyline, so don't say you can see Lord Voldemort in him and that that annoys you - THE WHOLE POINT IS HE IS IN HIM. IT SHOULD WORRY YOU IF YOU COULDN'T SEE VOLDEMORT IN HIM, SINCE HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE. Also, J K Rowling did some SERIOUS research and planning for her characters - so don't you go dissing the character she put the most effort into. If anything, it's an insult to her dedication to the series.
Fourth, if some characters aren't sacrificed, how does that allow the author to grip the reader and keep them reading with an emotional hook? If no characters died, then frankly, all books would be a little boring and far-fetched, because DEATH HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE - SO IT ALLOWS THE READER TO EMPATHISE WITH THE LIVING CHARACTERS. IT HELPS US FEEL MORE CONNECTED TO THE STORY.
Fifth, Harry DOES die in the seventh book, but, since he is the main character, the author has a duty to bring him back to defeat Voldemort - because we, the reader, need reassurance that good can still beat the odds and overcome evil. Although we may not realise it, it's a way to reassure ourselves that things can get better.
Lastly, the idea for the plot is original. No other book before had any similar storyline. There's a reason HP is so popular - the idea is so mindblowing and unique that EVERYONE wants to be a part of it.
So I would reccomend you think your reasons through and do some research before coming here and insulting one of the greatest books of all time. *hairflicks*

Posted by DragonRider on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 20:03
That is a perfect post

That is a perfect post DR.

Also. How can you even say this about Harry Potter? How many book reviews have you read? If you read any, you should know that you're supposed to go into depth. Why don't you like it? What's wrong with it? If it's not your genre, you could say it in a much more polite way. Just because you read Percy Jackson (not a bad series) before Harry Potter does NOT mean the idea is overused. On the contrary, the idea was original, and then a bunch of numbskulls with no ideas swooped in and copied from it.

Also, it's one of the only surviving fantasy books for people aging 10-15. Most "fantasies" have been transformed into disgusting, cheap, knockoff dystopian novels, if you can even call them that. Harry Potter isn't dystopian, it's fantasy in every way, shape, and form. I don't know how thoroughly you read the books, but I'm guessing that you're younger, and that you probably need to find your own type of writing that you enjoy. Please don't bother making a post about it if you disliked it so much, we don't want to read about what you hated, we want a reccomendation, why should we read this.

With all due respect and angry tidings,

Sophie.

EDIT: Oh hey, you guys. She's a newbie. I checked, she's only been on for 2 hours and 37 minutes when I posted this comment.

"Funerals are for the living."- TheAshWolf

Posted by soph-soph27 on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 20:27
Wait, she's a newbie? Oops.

Wait, she's a newbie?
Oops. XD
I apologise for my mildly angry outburst.
I'm normally very nice.
Unless I'm Gollum. XP
But it is- HOLY SMOKES ITS 2:32 AM NO WONDER I GOT SO ANGRY IM EXHAUSTED
But yeah.
Welcome to KP, Grace.
Where you get your head bashed in for dissing one of our pet books. XD

Posted by DragonRider on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 20:33
My dear deluded friend, i

My dear deluded friend, i hope you realise the error of your ways. Were you feeling grumpy when you wrote this? Or had you been hit on the head? Harry Potter is insanely brilliant. Humorous, riveting and vividly-written. You say that heroes in books are like Harry Potter. Maybe they have been modelled on him. Also the punctuation and grammar wasn't great and if you really disliked it then support your argument, don't just blindly accuse a book of poor writing! If you were trying for the Dorothy Parker type review, I must say it has not worked and has  made me very bad-tempered!

Welcome to Kidpub.

Posted by Bridie on Sun, 06/09/2013 - 21:49
M...m...my HARREH! *bursts

M...m...my HARREH! *bursts out crying*

"Doors are for people with no imagination"-Skulduggery Pleasant

Posted by Ruby on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 00:40
I never really enjoyed the

I never really enjoyed the series either....

*~GlutenFreeCake~*

Posted by GlutenFreeCake ... on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 13:40
At least you didn't just say

At least you didn't just say a bunch of horrible things like she did. You just expressed your simple opinion. Some of us may disagree, but you said it in a quite mean way Grace.

Love me and I will move mountains for you. Hurt me and I will drop those mountains on your head.

Posted by Lovestruck Shadows on Sat, 04/26/2014 - 15:44
Hey guys, a lot of us here

Hey guys, a lot of us here on Kidpub love Harry Potter and that's all right and there are some people (like Grace) who don't and that's all right too. To each its own, eh? Grace has every right to state her opinion, which she has done, even if she went about it the wrong way. We have to respect her opinion and know that everyone is not going to love the same thing. Now, Grace, there are other ways in which you could have written this, but instead you chose to write it in a way that expressed your dislike immensely, without ever really explaining why. Maybe you could re-write your review, and explain to us all in great detail what you disliked and what you liked. There must have been something you liked, right? Perhaps a character, a quote....so include that as well! 

Posted by NightOwl0_0 (a ... on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 13:48
I think that all y'all

I think that all y'all shouldn't be mad at her for stating her opinion. if she doesn't like the books, thats just her opinion.

I personally don't LOVE the books but I don't think they are a waste of time.

"We have no need for comfy chairs." ~ Angel Bob, Doctor Who.

Posted by Come Along Pond... on Mon, 06/10/2013 - 16:13
We're not against her

We're not against her stating her opinions - we're against the fact that she hasn't provided proper reasons why she doesn't like it. If she had explained it by going in depth (like I kind of did) then we would have taken in her side of the argument. However, as she did not, we were able to freely respond with our own arguments.

Posted by DragonRider on Tue, 06/11/2013 - 02:35
Exactly. This is what I said

Exactly. This is what I said as well, I had nothing against her opinion, just that a book review isn't supposed to completely diss a book. if she wants to, come up with an argument.

Posted by Minimalist on Mon, 06/17/2013 - 20:28
I agree with the above two

I agree with the above two comments, however she could have read some reviews before posting and gone more in depth. I kind of agree with her. The first three were good, but the fourth just turned into a game that I had trouble understanding. By the way, welcome to kip! Don't take anything personally.- Panthera tigris tigris (Grace)
Something lurks in the shadows.... Beware the Black Claws!
http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/black-claws-saga-book-1-shado...

Posted by Panthera Tigris... on Sat, 09/28/2013 - 08:30
How thick-headed are you?

How thick-headed are you? Harry Potter is an intelligent, brilliant, deep, and emotional series that leaves me thinking for days. Maybe, you're just not a great reader. 

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - J.K. Rowling

"Twilight sounds bad, but it's just an opposite of light, like the sun and moon, and water and fire. Twilight is a part of the balance."- *~Athena~*

Posted by Arthurboulos on Sat, 06/07/2014 - 12:14
Fudge you, How

Fudge you,

How offensive,

Just go back to your life. 

Just. Go. 

Hermione: I'm going to bed

Me: *puts Harry Potter book down* Oh, Hermione.

Posted by Eli the Egghead on Tue, 06/11/2013 - 08:13
I'm sorry, but I fiercly

I'm sorry, but I fiercly disagree with this post. Harry Potter is not a waste of time. If they were, then ten years of countless people's lives would be in the bin. A huge moneymaking franchise would crash and burn. And the world would be much more boring.

I hope you know what online community you are posting this review on. We are the writers, admirers of an intricately woven plot and in-depth character. We are creatersof fanfiction, readers of all the best books. We are the Harry Potters of the world. We do not appreciate a member of our community dissing our pet book. 

Thank you.

"Hey everybody! These two aren't human! They're half Greek god! . . . they don't seem to care."

Posted by Luna Lovegood (... on Wed, 06/12/2013 - 17:06
Hello, Grace. This is kind

Hello, Grace. This is kind of late, but I wanted to say something about it.

You are entitled to your opinion, and don't let anyone say that you don't. But throwing Harry Potter under the bus by saying 'complete waste of time' was uncalled for. I understand that you obviously do not like the series, but the last sentence highlighted in green was deemed offensive to us Potterheads. I'm not mad at you in anyway, and I think some of the comments above me were a little over the top (sorry guys :)), but just remember for next time that try to take on a bad review in a more professional way. 

Sorry this was a while ago!

Posted by Alexa on Tue, 04/22/2014 - 18:48
I LOVE YOU! OKAY SERIOUSLY I

I LOVE YOU! OKAY SERIOUSLY I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON EVER TO NOT LIKE IT

Posted by Charlie the fab... on Tue, 04/22/2014 - 23:32
Okay... 1. J. K. Rowling has

Okay...

1. J. K. Rowling has create a sport from her series. Not many people can do that.

2. I don't really think you were negative in a positive way. when someone bashes a book, they should be a little considerate, like 'I did not particularly like this book, but the author probably tried really hard, so I spare her a 2-3.

3. A coplete waste of time is not what I would use to describe it. I did not particularly like this term. Possibly something gentler?

4. I mean, not likeing the book is one thing and J. K. Rowling can probably understand that, but you have not only done that, but you have taken the time out of your day to write a terrible review about her story. How would you like it if someone started a thread about something you put hard work and sweat into and wrote about how much of a wate of time it was. A lot of people respond with "Pssh, I wouldn't care" but those are lies. You would probably be a little upset. So what if you don't like it? Your opinion is your own and I can't really change it, but you could at least spare her feelings. This review was not written with very much consideration on J. K. Rowling's part. Do you realize how much effort she put into her book? Not many people can do that. Next tim you write a review miss Grace, I would consier this comment and try to at least give the author credit for trying. It's not like you can please everyone.

To sum it all up, I highly disagree with your review word choices (And if you do this again without sparing an author's hard work and confidence in her novel, my words shall be a little less child appropriate. And in all honesty, I am going to laugh the next time someone bashes your story because all people deserve a taste on their own medecine)

Posted by Lovestruck Shadows on Sat, 04/26/2014 - 15:37
You are one out of several

You are one out of several billion people who enjoy Harry Potter, one of the most sucessful series of all time. I will not go into why, for all the fabulous people above me already have. ~Ian 'When someone says I have no backbone, I reply; That's why I'm not afraid to break it.'

Posted by SuperSonicTurtle on Wed, 06/04/2014 - 18:30