/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Help | KidPub Press //
The Help

The Help

Posted March 20th, 2013 by Lena

A Book Review by Lena
in the stars

Kathryn Stockett
5

The Help is possibly the best book I have ever read. It's one of those books that make you laugh out loud, and scream when shocking things immerge from beneath the surface of this enchanting writing. Heartbreaking, completely true, and overall amazing, this novel is one everyone should read. The Help is compelling and thought-provoking. It will bring sensitive topics to surface and shine light on some of the things many think should be left in the darkness. You are bound to get overly-attached to the characters, as they are so beautifully-fleshed-out that they can practically breathe. In all honesty, reading this was the first time I ever cried over a book.

The Help dips into the lives of black house keepers in the early 1960s, when racism was a looming threat. It follows the lives of three women: Aibileen, Minny, and Miss Skeeter. Aibileen and Minny are African American maids, and Miss Skeeter is a young woman who'd like to write a book from "the help's" perspective. Naturally, it goes downhill from there. These three women face difficulties as they try to write the book, keep up with their social lives, and other things.

Just a warning: The Help takes a mature reader. There are some swear words. It also mentions religion, so if you are not comfortable with subjects like that...

Read this book. It is amazing, touching, daring, and wise. The main characters are realistic, strong, beautiful people. The antagonists are also thoughtfully created so that while you'd like to hate them with all your heart, you simply can't, because you are aware that they are not all bad. The Help will forever and always have a spot on my favorite books shelf.

See more stories by Lena
I've been meaning to read

I've been meaning to read this book for ages now! This only makes me want to read it more! (:

Posted by Miss Maverick on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 17:47
Awesome with a capital A! If

Awesome with a capital A! If you liked this, you might like The Secret Life of Bees. I've only seen the movie, but...

Quothe the raven-nevermore.

Posted by Grace on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 18:16
Sounds like a cool book!

Sounds like a cool book! I've seen bits and pieces of the movie, but I wasn't really that interested. I think I'll have to read it now!                                Want to have your book reviewed? Click here --> http://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-chapter/me-myself-and-book-reviews-17...

Posted by Rochelle Goyle ... on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 18:27
I love the Help!!! Minny was

I love the Help!!! Minny was my favorite character!

You perfectly depicted the help in a mature and compelling way. This makes me want to read it again...

And again...

And again...

But I guess I already wanted to read it. :)

Posted by Ember on Wed, 03/20/2013 - 21:23