/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ Island of the Blue Dolphins | KidPub Press //
Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Posted May 9th, 2008 by Zoe

Zoe's picture
A Book Review by *Z* (WoA)
in a dark swirl of choking depression (a.k.a. drama)

Scott O'Dell
1

THIS BOOK IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, EVER read it.
Why is it so bad you ask? I am a bookworm, and I have only seen about 5 books out of hundreds I have read, maybe even thousands, that I did not like. This book is one of them.
Yes, parts of it are creative. However, the author does not show anything, he tells it all so you know what is going on just by what he says. That is not even the worst part. The book is written in first person, a girl named Karana. She lives on an island with her tribe. She has a good life when the book begins, an older sister, younger brother, and father who is chief. Then the Russians come to the island. They hunt almost all the otters in the ocean near the island, and finally there is a fight and when it ends over 40 men have been killed, including Karana's father. The island is thrust into turmoil. Many of the people Karana love die. And then, an event so horrific she will never be the same...
Yet through all of the story Scott O'Dell does not state any of Karana's thoughts, and hardly any of her feelings. He does not get into character at all. The story is in FIRST PERSON, too. I mean, come on! Seriously, through all that is bad Karana does not feel anything. It's like she's a robot. DON"T READ THE BOOK!!!!!!!!!

See more stories by *Z* (WoA)
Love dis book! Now remember,

Love dis book!

Now remember, don't stick anything smaller then your elbow in your ear!" ~my grandpa to me and my brothers

Posted by Kate on Fri, 05/09/2008 - 15:45
This book was kinda ok, at

This book was kinda ok, at first. But it got really extensive. "I made some weapons. I hunted. I did this. I did that." Wow. It's pretty boring after a while.

**************************************************************

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's one called "brightness," but it doesn't work.
--Anonymous

Posted by clarissag on Sat, 05/10/2008 - 13:08
ok, if it's so bad why tell

ok, if it's so bad why tell us about how its so bad?! seriously.....

Posted by Hooper (Smiley) on Sat, 05/10/2008 - 20:00
I did. Goodbye, fellow

I did.

Goodbye, fellow Pig!
- My sister, to our Grandfather

Posted by Zoe on Sat, 05/17/2008 - 16:58
I completely agree! I hated

I completely agree! I hated this book. I would have given it no stars! I read it for a book report and decieded it was so boring so I skipped through half and still got the main point. It was stupid... don't waste your time.

*** ~Vanessa:) -- "A good writer write's from their soul..." "Taking writing away from an author is like taking water away from a fish."

Posted by VanessaP on Sun, 07/06/2008 - 16:32