/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ New Story Renn | KidPub Press //
New Story Renn

New Story Renn

Posted January 6th, 2013 by rebecca

A Book Review by Rebec
in Rivendell, the only place in Middle Earth that gets Wi-Fi

AlgebraAddict
4

After reading this, I had to remind myself how old the author is...and how bad my writing was way back then. This is considerably better. I worry about how good her writing will be in the future. I am preparing for such a time by ordering rocks online to crawl under.

There is no one protagonist, but a few distinct people. Syrian needs a new name, and needs to be a little less clichéd. She needs more detail as to her reasoning. Ore is a great character, probably the most developed, Iré, is a half-trained sorceress, interesting in her way, especially with her magic, but both Ore and Lenaeor instantly fall in love with her? Plausible? Finally, there is Emma, the youngest, with a genetic talent for shooting. I'm not sure what to think of her yet.

The book begins with a poem, of which some stanzas need work, and a few paragraphs explainining the situation. There used to be six races, all of which are incredibly similar, but wildly different in many ways: Humans, archers, warriors, musketeers, sorcerors and bards. Only the humans are left, and they must submit to the Sêlis, who basically invaded and destroyed everyone else. Now the humans do not believe the other races existed and that they were just human, because the Sêlis tell lots of lies. The lord of them is going to marry Syrian, who is sectrely a bard, but she plans an escape. CLICHE ALERT! Otherwise she's a great character. Just the marriage situation that is difficult. Then, we meet Ore, who has lost his family and conveniently meets two people in about ten minutes. Renn must be overpopulated if people find each other that quickly. Both Ore and Lenaeor, and archer, instantly fall in love with a teenage sorceress, who prefers Ore, but does not love either really. She does some magical stuff and finds both Syrian to be a bard, but discovers Emma. They all escape from the wedding and are on the run. How enjoyable.

It's four stars. Definitely. It needs detail, timing, and less of those nasty little CLICHE things, but it is fun to read. Fun. It's fantasy, and I am one for the fantastic. Some might argue it is undeserving, especially the author who seems convinced it is crap, but I would certainly say you doubters - SHUT UP! They are my reviews, not yours. Start your own business if you want to criticise me.

For the author:

More detail, LESS CLICHES, better timing and editing of grammar, explain some things about the races better (where did they all come from? why are they here?), explain Syrian better, give her a better name, explain the world better, and keep going. Or, just move on. I know how you feel about this. You half want to write it, but half cannot see how you can. Choose, now. Or you'll end up like me, clinging to ideas I know I cannot write anymore. 

See more stories by Rebec
Haha, this did not deserve a

Haha, this did not deserve a four.  ^-^  Thanks, Rebecca!

Posted by Esther (Algebra... on Sun, 01/06/2013 - 15:10
You want to do this job

You want to do this job next? It deserved a four because I said it did! Three is reserved for okay stuff, two for the boring, and one for Arin books. 

I was going to do something humorous, thought-provoking and fascinating for my signature, but whyever would I do that when I can drive you all insane with something like this?

Posted by Quetzalcoatlus ... on Sun, 01/06/2013 - 15:20
^_________^  I probably

^_________^  I probably shouldn't have found that last part as hillarious as I did.

Posted by Esther (Algebra... on Sun, 01/06/2013 - 15:46
It's cruel, but i had to say

It's cruel, but i had to say it. It was witty. Like the time my mother said 'my patience is thin' and I replied 'but the rest of you isn't'.

Posted by Quetzalcoatlus ... on Sun, 01/06/2013 - 15:51
I can't stand insults,

I can't stand insults, unless they're absolutely brilliant.  In which case, I take my mini top hat off.  *takes off mini top hat*

Posted by Esther (Algebra... on Sun, 01/06/2013 - 16:02