/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The Soldiers of Tomorrow | KidPub Press //
The Soldiers of Tomorrow

The Soldiers of Tomorrow

Posted December 22nd, 2012 by rebecca

A Book Review by Rebec
in Rivendell, the only place in Middle Earth that gets Wi-Fi

Mary Elizabeth
5

I am not the greatest fan of weird futuristic novels. Don't get me wrong, I love dystopian books, I just feel a little out of place. My true home is fantasy. Having said that, the Soldiers of Tomorrow has the promise to be the next Hunger Games - a best seller, entertaining both the intelligent and the idiotic. I'm not comparing the writing style whatsoever - everyone knows Mary Elizabeth is far better in almost every way. I am still not quite comfortable with the book, but that is irrelevent. I just need to read more of it. 

Our protagonist is a teenage soldier, Roksana. We know little enough of her, but I'm certain we can safely say she is awesome. Stolen from her home at a young age by the queen of the Core, a nice little insane patch of the world. It's interesting how this works. It is explained, but I still cannot understand how this army works. Is it me being dim? Yes. Roksana is fourteen-ish, and undeniably realistic, in a fictional world that could never exist, she feels real. Maybe there's a shard of the author in there.

The Core is a country filled with diamonds and ruled by a rather moronic monarch - then again, being an anti-monarchist, they all are. This particular queen doesn't want her people to die, how nice. No, instead she abducts helpless children from outlying villages, from some unexplained tribes that sound interesting. So children are set up as a fascinating army, mostly for show, because the army in the Core is as useful as a jelly (in American, gelatine) pickaxe. Which is interesting because pickaxes were the only things the tribes could fight with, being miners and all. Roksana has, naturally, seen battle. All the other countries want those diamonds! Fun is on its way! But right now, Roksana spends most of her time in a roof, with her amazingly named friends, Nadezhda, a writer, Alyona, a huge girl, and finally the kleptomaniac, Maryna. Nothing much so far has happened, aside from Maryna stealing cigars, naughty girl, they're bad for you, and Nadezhda talking about her brother vaguely. It's a shame there isn't more to this.

I need more. Quite simply. I want to know more about the tribes, to find out more about the girls, especially whether Alyona is half urak-hai (I said I was more into fantasy). This is going to be a great story. Something amazing is about to happen.

For the author:

I have to write this, sadly. Don't use brackets, in books they irritate me (reviews are fine as you can see), tell me more about the tribes, explain why the army works more clearly, tell me where you got the names from (Russian?) and finally, just continue. Please? I have literally fallen in love with this work of fiction. It just isn't quite my perfect book because I am one of these people, born for Tolkein!

See more stories by Rebec
Thank you very much,

Thank you very much, Rebecca. I'm glad that you were honest, and I'll definitely take your advice!

Posted by Mary Elizabeth on Sat, 12/22/2012 - 15:33
Am I right about the origin

Am I right about the origin of the names?

I was going to do something humorous, though-provoking and fascinating for my signature, but whyever would I do that when I can drive you all insane with something like this?

Posted by Quetzalcoatlus ... on Sat, 12/22/2012 - 15:50
Yes, exactly correct. I

Yes, exactly correct. I believe that Roksana means "dawn", Maryna means "their rebellion", Nadezhda means "hope", and Alyona means "torch".

Posted by Mary Elizabeth on Sat, 12/22/2012 - 15:55
It was Nadezhda that gave

It was Nadezhda that gave the ploy away.

Posted by Quetzalcoatlus ... on Sat, 12/22/2012 - 16:16