/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ A Thousand Splendid Suns | KidPub Press //
A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Posted October 16th, 2007 by maryam

maryam's picture
A Book Review by Maryam
in debted to Lauren for coming up with the in-continued-with-clever-word-thing. Grin.

Khaled Hosseini
5

Recommended for ages 15 and up
Setting: Kabul, Afghanistan
Plot:
Mariam (my name! lol), left alone at 15 in the world after her mother's suicide, is forced to marry Rasheed, a shoemaker who is about 20 years her senior. An unhappy marriage ensues, with his insults and beatings.
Nearby, a daughter, Laila, is born to one of Mariam's neighbors, after 15 years.
More years pass. Laila, at 15, has fallen in love with her lifelong friend, Tariq, and when she hears the news that he is moving out of the country, to Pakistan, she is devastated. That's when he tells her he loves her too.
Shortly after Tariq leaves, the unthinkable happens.
Laila's mother and father are killed by a bomb that demolishes her house, and she only narrowly escapes with her life. She is rescued by Rasheed, Mariam's husband, and stays with them for a while.
Then, a stranger comes to the house and informs Laila that Tariq is dead.
After learning that she is pregnant with Tariq's child, Laila makes the decision.
She will marry Rasheed.
At first, Mariam despises her, thinking she is just a husband-stealer. But their hostility grows into a close bond of friendship when Laila confides in Mariam the true reason she married Rasheed.
Several years follow, and Laila and Mariam learn to cope with the many troubles and diffuculties that come their way, trusting in their God, their friendship, and each other.
Ending: Happy but bittersweet. (No, I will NOT tell you why! :)

My Opinion: This book is terrific! Albeit with some adult themes, which is why I placed it at 15 and up. K.H. is a VERY good writer.

If You Liked This: Read The Kite Runner. It's also by Khaled Hosseini.

Random Facts about the book:
New York Times #1 bestseller. I think it's still on the list.

See more stories by Maryam
That's a fantastic book

That's a fantastic book review! I need that book now!

"All you need is love."
~The Beatles

Posted by Marina on Tue, 10/16/2007 - 16:20
Awsome. you know what book

Awsome. you know what book you would like? Blink, by Ted Dekker. It has a girl nsmed Miriam too!

Ah, distinctly I remeber it was in the bleak December/ And each seperate dying ember/ Wrought it's ghost upon the floor
~Edgar Allen Poe

Posted by Camacazi on Tue, 10/16/2007 - 17:04
I read Blink earlier this

I read Blink earlier this year... it was so good and i am thinking about reading it again... i absolutely loved it and i liked the girl's story in blink better, it was cool. I loved the ending.
**************************************************
My mind is with you! Mentally! ~ me at cross country practice

Posted by Rose on Wed, 10/17/2007 - 21:06
This sounds REALLY good!

This sounds REALLY good!

Posted by Maddy on Tue, 10/30/2007 - 22:57