/* PCD change http to https for CSRF JUL 2017 */ The World of Troodainia | KidPub Press //
The World of Troodainia

The World of Troodainia

Posted January 8th, 2013 by rebecca

A Book Review by Rebec
in Rivendell, the only place in Middle Earth that gets Wi-Fi

TheAshWolf
5

I dislike science fiction, so it's good only mentions portals a few times, which is forgivable. If they had gone on and on about stupid technology I would have died of boredom. Thankfully it did not and I could get on with reading the book.

Amber, short for Ambretta, fell into the portal whilst protecting her awkwardly named dog, Lion. As you do, she found herself on a planet called Ectroi, which is amazingly similar to Earth. It's another example of her family's amazing bad luck - her parents died, her brother is dead, she lives with her uncle. She is the best character in the entire thing, for obvious reasons. 

So it begins with her father dying. Nice. And her moving to live with her rich scientist uncle. And her falling through a portal her created. Ectroi is virtually like Earth, only the continents are arranged differently, and humans do not exist. Instead, three major species' are at war with each other, which she learns when she rescues a young Troodon, Charlie. I, being a nerd, noticed Troodon is the name of an intelligent carnivorous dinosaur. But the languages of Truic and English do differ slightly, so I suppose the meaning we have is transferable. Amber saves Charlie from a trap, only to be completely distrusted by his family because she is human, and the only humans they have met were lunatics like the Spanish Conquistadors. So far, the edited version is not as long as I thought and I could have read it in one night quite easily, I am just supremely lazy. We have again met Heckata and Splice, but Splice's species, Hetashi they are now called, could do with a better name. I somehow preferred the old, unrealistic version to this. Amber is wanted by them because she is human, and they sent a Repteal to the magic human legend cave place that isn't magic, it just has a lot of artifacts and paintings related to humans, which the Troodons get Amber to described properly. They still do not trust her, but Charlie is her friend. 

It's a five star book. The world is very well thought out, and the fact there is a reason Amber's real name is odd. I remember reading the old thing, and finding it good, but wanting to appreciate it from a distance. I did not think it was my type of thing. I was wrong, on many levels. I just will never find it perfect or flawless because it is not my type. If it were out of ten, it would sadly only make it to nine.

For the author:

Another name for Splice's evil dinosaurs, or a different name for him, what exactly does Troodon mean again, I want to know more about Troodon life, and more about the helper species. I did not see any grammar errors, because, as usual, I did not read in detail. Lazy I am. 

See more stories by Rebec
(Sorry this took me so long

(Sorry this took me so long to comment on...I'll spare you the long excuse reason as to why I haven't had much spare time. x_x)

This review was excellently written!!! I can see why your business is doing so well! :D

"If they had gone on and on about stupid technology I would have died of boredom." Ha, don't worry, I don't totally understand how portals work, anyway, so I couldn't have droned on about the technology even if I wanted to. XD Besides, technology bores me. o_e I prefer to look at the more organic side of SciFi. :D

"I, being a nerd, noticed Troodon is the name of an intelligent carnivorous dinosaur." Wow, congrats on noticing the fact that there's a dinosaur called "Troodon"...not many people know that. 0_0 I'm impressed. :D If it makes you feel any better about the name, my version of the word "Troodon" is pronounced differently. ^_^ (Dinosaur: Troh-uh-don. My creatures: True-don.)

"...and the only humans they have met were lunatics like the Spanish Conquistadors." That part made me laugh. XD

"We have again met Heckata and Splice, but Splice's species, Hetashi they are now called..." Um, that's Kenashi. <:^D And yes, I totally agree with you; I've NEVER been satisfied with their species name. x_x

"...and they sent a Repteal to the magic human legend cave place that isn't magic..." Again, I laughed. XD You just put things so eloquently!

"I just will never find it perfect or flawless because it is not my type. If it were out of ten, it would sadly only make it to nine." Nothing's perfect or flawless. And I'd be immensely glad just to make it to five. :'D *extreme joy*

IN CONCLUSION:

I shall work on coming up with a better name for the Kenashi. "Troodon" is technically a species of dinosaur (I was ten or eleven when I first read it, and was oh-so-unoriginal back then, so I ended up taking it, changing the pronunciation, and using it for my story...yeah, I know that sounds odd, I don't even understand it myself....). The dinosaur name literally means "wounding tooth" in Greek, which made MUCH more sense in the context of my creation back when they could eject a paralyzing poison through their fangs as a form of defense and to help them catch large fish. (I have long since scrapped that concept, but, who knows, I might revisit it.) I will try my best to go into more detail about how Troodons live. I've been wanting to talk about the helper species more but I'm trying not to overload or bore my readers. And that's perfectly fine; I'm fairly confident in my grammar skills.

THANK YOU SO SO SO SOOOOO VERY MUCH! Your input is extremely helpful, and I'm incredibly flattered. :') I'm amazed that you liked it so much, especially since you're not into Science Fiction. Honestly, you were too kind to me and my book in this. But, seriously, thank you. I feel ten times better than I did before I read this. ^_^ Mind if I put a link to this review up on the WOT Website?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Sat, 01/12/2013 - 04:15
I knew I could not be right

I knew I could not be right all the time. Kenashi, hetashi, they all sound like Japanese to me.

I was going to do something humorous, thought-provoking and fascinating for my signature, but whyever would I do that when I can drive you all insane with something like this?

Posted by Quetzalcoatlus ... on Sat, 01/12/2013 - 04:26
As a matter of fact,

As a matter of fact, "Kenashi" is Japanese. It translates to "sword foot." (According to Google Translate, that is...if it's wrong....DX)

....No, I'm not a Weeaboo, I swear, let me explain. XD Each of the species' cultures and languages were influenced by a certain Earth culture/language group, not just one specific country/language/race. (Troodon: European and Native American. Hecklefang: African and Indian. Kenashi: Asian.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The planet Ectroi is waiting for you…

Posted by TheAshWolf on Sat, 01/12/2013 - 04:42